• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 381 or Ericson 38-200?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The Ericson 38-200 has a recessed central companionway and six cabin-house portlights visible in profile. The Ericson 381 has a traditional companionway, offset, and five cabin house portlights in profile.

Ericson 38-200 cabin house.jpgEricson 381 cockpit.jpg

Both hulls, rigs, keel and rudder are the same. The differences are the result of a modified deck and cabin on the -200 model. In the mid-'80s both options were available simultaneously, although later only the 38-200 was made. The 38-200 provides an enlarged owners cabin (formerly the quarterberth), for which the cabin house was extended and the companionway recessed. The head is moved aft and the galley moved to the port side. The push-forward of the cabin house puts the mast central in the saloon, narrows the midships passageway, reduces the size of the V-berth and eliminates the sit-down chart table of the 381 in favor of a stand-up version.

Since alternate layouts are compromises of the same available space, preference is personal.

Ericson 38-200 table.jpge381 table.jpg

Profiles: Top, Ericson 38-200; bottom, Ericson 381

comparision.jpg

This entry summarizes the discussion that follows. Please amend it as necessary.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yup, you have to be somewhat skeptical of what you find on that site (and... others...).
It depends on the public for corrections. I have contacted them in the past. I recall that they are not fast to respond, but one incident does not prove any particular assumption.
:rolleyes:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I thought the -200 series had a small port aft of the big fixed trapezoidal ports. Venting for the aft head.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Very good. Let's say that a 38-200 has one more portlight visible in profile than the contemporaneous 381 model.

Now, for identification, must a 38-200 have a recessed companionway also?

recessed.jpg

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I would think so. It seems necessary for the aft head and enclosed aft cabin.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Here is another view of an E-38 200 which belongs to another forum member here. I think all the 200s have both the recessed companionway and the additional rounded rectangular port lights behind the big trapezoidal ports.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/s...zVFpRcPWTBWFXA3xEy1y_A/PAkDUcW4T2KbCcHA1D8IDg

Therefore, the boat in the original picture must be an E-381. It seems to be misidentified. UNLESS the factory made a version of the 200 with the head foreward, to port.

As Archie Bunker said, "Ipso Fatso."

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I wonder if a -200 owner would measure the cockpit seats to confirm they are the same size as those of the 381.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
In related news, the sailboatdata.com page for the E38 seems to include a photo of a 38-200, along with the (correct?) profile drawing for an E38...

e38.jpg

Navman

Member III
38-1 or 38-2

My 1986,38-1 has 7 opening ports, 2 in the vee berth, one above the wet locker Stbd, one in the head Port side, 2 in the main saloon and one in the aft pilot berth. I have the offset companionway with bridge deck and the same interior configuration as seen in the second photo ( head forward). We do not like the idea of the head being right next to a galley and aft state room. It's proximity may make the aft head version more readily accessible during rough weather but like I already mentioned that same proximity has other not so pleasant ramifications also.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Don, I believe that describes all 381s (the count of "visible cabin-house ports", 5 vs. 6, is just a means of quick discrimination).

Here is the E381 interior plan:

ERicson 381 interior plan.jpg

And the E38-200 plan:

ERicson 38-200 int. plan.jpg

See also thread "Actual Berth Size" of various Ericson models, HERE.

Last edited:

gulfcoaster

Member III
One More Difference

The 32-200, late '80's 34, and 38-200 all have much lower backrests in the cockpit. I have a '87 32-3. The cockpit seating is much more comfortable.

shepherdsond

Member I
V-Birth size?

I am researching 35-38' Ericsons for potential purchase. I like the aft cabin the 38-200 but have read that the 38-200 V birth is on the small side for a couple. Conversely is the quarter berth on the 38-381 large enough for a couple? I have not had a chance to look at one first hand yet and would appreciate any comments.
Thanks

KTROBI_VALHALLA

Member II
I am a big guy, 6'2", 240 and I fit in the 38-200 v berth with my wife no problem. I actually prefer the v berth when there isn't a chop due to the extra head room and hatch opening. The stern berth with its low ceiling is a little claustrophobic for me. Conversely, the v berth has a little hop down to the sole due to its height vs the back berth just needing a swing of the legs to the sole.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Conversely is the quarter berth on the 38-381 large enough for a couple?

Sure. It's 7' long x 47" at the entry. It has an opening portlight at the foot and a dedicated dorade vent at the head.

Ericson 381 ('84) nav station and quarterberth.jpg

There was also an option to enclose it with a door and a folding screen on the nav table. As usual, a matter of taste.

Ericson 38 enclosed quarterberth option.jpg

Last edited: