• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted Stern Stanchions and Rail

Jeffrey Bond

I have a 1990 Ericson 34 that is in very good shape. Unfortunately a power boater came into the slip next to me to hot and bent my stainless steel stern stanchion. I am looking to replace as I do not know how to take the kink out of the bend.

If anyone knows how to straighten stainless steel, this would also be helpful.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Someone did a hit and run on my bow pulpit. It turned out to be surprisingly thin-wall tubing and pretty easy to bend back into shape. I bent one of the stanchions, while offloading the mast during haul out. IIRC, I just put it in the bench vise and carefully bent it back. But once thin-wall stuff develops an actual kink or crease, it probably has to be replaced. Or sleeved, but probably less hassle to replace.
Lots of stanchion parts at Defender and similar web stores. Also lots of older stanchions at local chandleries, wrecking yards, etc. Maybe a photograph of what you're trying to replace could be emailed to a few such places.

Jeffrey Bond

Thank you.

Good suggestions. I have photos. I should have chased my neighbor down for financial help but I was in a hurry. Instead I just moved to a different slip.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here we have http://www.railmakers.com, there must be a similar outfit near you.

I just take the bent parts to them, they make a new one. I sketch a specialty part, such as grab rail on cabin house, they make it off the drawing.

Price reasonable, too. Bending, welding, polishing--no big deal to them.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A shop that specializes in tubing fabrication will cut out the kinked part. They will weld in a new section, and after buffing back to whatever version of a mirror finish that matches, you will be unable to find (!) the place that was repaired.
We had a number of little bends and old holes filled on both pulpits and several stanchions. All was polished out, and all the fixes were and are invisible.