• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Leak

rootsey333

Member II
Hi
My boat is an Ericson 38-200 1989 model, the leak is coming from where the rubber hose couples the propeller shaft tube {which is bonded to the hull} to the shaft gland assembly using 4 hose clamps, the owners manual for the E38-200 describes a stuffing box with 3 turns of waxed flax and packing nut assembly with a locknut, my boat is completely different with no stuffing box or locknut but has a rubber hose leading from the top of the propeller gland assembly up to the exhaust manifold.
Please help
Bruce

Jenkins

Member II
You have a dripless shaft seal. You can search around to get info on these.

No doubt there are others here who can offer advice on the leaking - I have an old school packing gland.

peter

Last edited:

Jon Libby

Member II
Dripless

It can only be leaking from a loose or split bellows hose at either end, or the carbon surface or SS surface is cracked. The hose off the top is to ensure air is not trapped in the bellows as water is needed to cool the mating surfaces while turning. There is also a preloaded compression that is required to keep pressure on the mating surface. If the SS surface has slipped away from the bellows maybe too little preload pressure is there. Mine is 8 years old and still dry as a bone.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
where the rubber hose couples the propeller shaft tube {which is bonded to the hull} to the shaft gland assembly using 4 hose clamps

Does the leak come from between the mating plates of the dripless shaft seal? Push them apart using a screwdriver. Water will squirt in. Remove any debris and wipe the faces with a rag. If the plates have debris in them you'll see a circular throw of water when the engine is running which usually leaves a pattern around the unit.

If the leak is from a small hose that provides water lubrication to the DSS, identify and fix. Not all DSS units have external water hoses.

If the rubber bellows of the DSS is split, holed or fails to make the designed compression force, the bellows must be replaced immediately. Haulout required. But that is unlikely.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
where the rubber hose couples the propeller shaft tube {which is bonded to the hull} to the shaft gland assembly using 4 hose clamps

Does the leak come from between the mating plates of the dripless shaft seal? Push them apart using a screwdriver. Water will squirt in. Remove any debris and wipe the faces with a rag. If the plates have debris in them you'll see a circular throw of water when the engine is running which usually leaves a pattern around the unit.

If the leak is from a small hose that provides water lubrication to the DSS, identify and fix. Not all DSS units have external water hoses.

If the rubber bellows of the DSS is split, holed or fails to make the designed compression force, the bellows must be replaced immediately. Haulout required. But that is unlikely.

All good advice. You may not have a manual for the installation so I attached one.

These instructions are from 2009, when I replaced mine.
View attachment PYI_PSS_Instructions.pdf

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Check the bellows carefully! This was only visible once I removed it. If yours has the hose off the top, its likely much newer and may not be the issue.

Good luck chasing the leak.

attachment.php

rootsey333

Member II
Hi Big
Thanks very much for the instructions, the seal on my boat does not have a hose with bellows it is just a straight piece of blue hose with four hose clamps around it, do you think this is OK or should I try to replace it ?
the leak seems to be coming from between the hose and the flange at the upper end of the hose nearest the engine,I am really hoping that I do not have to dry-dock the boat.
I will attempt to post a picture when I figure out how to.
Many Cheers
Bruce

All good advice. You may not have a manual for the installation so I attached one.

These instructions are from 2009, when I replaced mine.
View attachment 22895

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rootsey, do you in fact have a dripless unit? Maybe not?

Because if you do have a dripless with a bellows...well, something is very odd. Nobody would replace the bellows with a hose.

Got a photo by any chance?

rootsey333

Member II
Hi Christian
Thanks for your advice but I am sure it is a drip-less seal I cannot explain the straight hose without bellows,see pictures.

Rootsey, do you in fact have a dripless unit? Maybe not?

Because if you do have a dripless with a bellows...well, something is very odd. Nobody would replace the bellows with a hose.

Got a photo by any chance?

Attachments

• IMG_0148.jpg
    IMG_0148.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 30

Brad Johnson

Member III
Hi Christian
Thanks for your advice but I am sure it is a drip-less seal I cannot explain the straight hose without bellows,see pictures.

It must be a Last Drop, Christian sent the supplier with picture ,I have one with a seal that needs replacing 5 years or so, kind of a pain, It looks like a replacement is in order . not sure about that 5th hose clamp?

rootsey333

Member II
Hi Brad
I installed the 5th clamp and it reduced the leak by 50%.
Thanks
Bruce

It must be a Last Drop, Christian sent the supplier with picture ,I have one with a seal that needs replacing 5 years or so, kind of a pain, It looks like a replacement is in order . not sure about that 5th hose clamp?