• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Winter Cover

Mindscape

Member III
Has anyone had a winter cover made?? I'm looking to get a cover made for my 32-3 stored in Wisconsin. I've only found one place that quoted me for a cover and frame - The TopShop. TIA

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I did right after I bought my boat in 1996. I got it from Faiclough (http://www.faircloughsailmakers.com) and paid $2,000 installed (summer price). Nice heavy duty canvas and 1 1/8" steel tubing. The canvas should last at least 10 years and, therefore, is much cheaper than shrink wrap (and environmentally more friendly). Great investment. I believe that Fairclough ships worldwide.

tilwinter

Member III
I had mine made by The Canvas Store on long island. Google should find it for you if you are interested.

They made one for a buddy of mine that fit like a glove. The design is two part, fits over the boom and ties to the base of the stanchions, so it keeps water and snow off the boat but allows air circlulation. I think mine cost 1500 or so.

The owner and I had a lot of go-round getting it made, and it arrived late, in early December, despite my ordering it in April, so I froze my fingers off putting it on, but it is GREAT, and well worth the investment, although the aft half does not fit well; it is a little large.

The material is TOP GUN, which is great.

If you choose to get a quote from him, let me know, and you may freely quote my experience to him. I would love to have mine re-sized a little, but it is too aggravating. This year I just want to put it on and be done with it.

By the way, you can turn on a space heater under the cover, and basically work on your boat in a heated tent in winter. Very nice

JORGE

Member III
Just wondering about using PVC

I have been giving some thought to using plumbing PVC since it is easily curved and connectors of allsorts are available , for my E32-2. THen I plan on covering with heavy tarp poly or canvas. Has anyone tried this ?

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I don't think it will be strong enough if you live in an area that gets much snow. You can make a frame out of electrical conduit joined with Klover Klamps, which I've seen at boat shows.

Mindscape

Member III
Pvc

My PO used PVC hoops (like a covered wagon) and shrink wrap. Under the weight of a snow/melt/freeze the PVC hoops colapsed. It might of worked if there had been some kind of ridge pole (other than a line streched taunt) in the middle, not sure. The PVC was attached to the stantions which I also didn't like since it trasfered any motion and stress to the stantions. I don't think this concept worked too well. We do have some folks that use heavier PVC (maybe 1.5 inch, not sure) and connecors much like what you might to with conduit, but at that point why not just use conduit?

JORGE

Member III
Follow up PVC & boat covers

I happened across an article on "Covering Your Boat, related to using PVC,this info was on the --Bosunsupplies website. I know someone at my yard who is using the heavier PVC pipes mentioned in the article. There's a diagram using a vertical support in the article. However, the sailor I know did not have his stanchions on , and so constructed wood ribs, (1x3's and plywd angles) with notches and used PVC piping going fore and aft in the notches.

Bosunsupplies had some other useful info on their "knowledge page". (By the way they manufacture rails and do custom work), although I have not ordered anything from them. I think someone mentioned an info need for railings or rigging, other metal info was at the Goodoldboat website. My boat has a mixx of square and schafer type stanchion bases, (which I don't understand why).
:)

garryh

Member III
an old thread that I just came across but will add to it to keep info in one place.
I use half rings of 1.5" black plastic (ABS) drainage tubing over a 2X4 ridge pole with maybe three intermediate supports, tubing is secured with one screw at the top and wired in place at the ends at the toe rail. Never an issue, works like a charm, always intact and dry every Spring when many others have collapsed (heavy snow area). Quick... and cheap!
Cover Feb2017 (2).jpgThere are several grades ie. stiffness of the tuning (no stripe, red stripe, green etc)... I recommend use the firmest)
I have kept the mast onboard at times on supports just below the ridge pole.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Shipshape

It’s a sign of spring when shipshape sends me the link to the “how to fold your cover” video. Three seasons now and I am still very happy with the cover they made.

c.gustafson

Member II
North Shore Canvas

I recommend getting a bid from North Shore Canvas, 631-757-0400, www.northshorecanvas.com. The cost was a bit more than The Canvas Store, but the cover seems to be better quality. The owner actually comes to your boat and takes the necessary measurements to assure a good fit. I've been very happy with the cover and with the customer service.