• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1986 38-200 rudder skin

Merrimist

Hammy, 'Merrimist' E38 in sunny Bda
G'day fellow E owner's,

I am planning to haul 'Merrimist' 1986 E38-200 (Hull # 'ERY38220-686' although I am still not sure if it is hull number 20 or 220)

I would like to ask about the rudder - I had read somewhere and the PO had said something along the lines that the rudder skin is different and should not be antifouled black or other dark colour and left open to the direct sun when on the hard in the yard.

Has anbody heard about this and can share or does anybody know about this and can give me some information and/or advice, anything welcomed.

Plan is to haul her Thu 5 Oct here in Bermuda at West End Boatyard, powerwash bottom, note the bigger uglier (osmotic) blisters, and commence to grind them out on Fri 6 Oct.
Mon morn following boot stripe down hull will be tented, hull will be soda blasted, then plan to put in a couple of heat lamps. the following Thu/Fri will see me applying Sea-Hawk Cukote 3445, 3 or more coats depending on how far I can make the previously purchased 4 gallons go. Which brings me back to my original query, can or should I not apply the same Sea-Hawk Cukote 3445 - Black anti-foul to the rudder. Which is what I would normally do, but am now as I see the PO has used a different colour and antifoul on the rudder compared to the rest of the hull.

Then all going well, and no hurricanes on the horizon plan to splash her shortly thereafter - I will be doing most of the work having two weeks off work to do so.

Signing off, wondering and seeking advice on this little E38 rudder coating question......

Hammy in sunny Bermuda ducking hurricanes...

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Black on rudder

If the boat is going back in the water immediately after renewing the bottom paint then painting the rudder black is no problem. The black rudder should not be exposed to prolonged sunlight as per the original manufacturers instructions. I have a black rudder and once it comes out of the water the rudder is covered to avoid exposure to sunlight.

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I had a brand new rudder put in two weeks before splash. Painted black, hot summer, no protection against heat on the rudder and it bulged on one side. Pay attention to that warning. The rudder I had removed was delaminated in a similar way and it only got worse as the years wore on. If you are going to be out for more than a few days in warm sunny weather I recommend you drop the rudder and store it or carefully protect it from heat and sunlight.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Also, do bring a magic marker or chalk to identify blisters as soon as the yacht is out of the water. They can disappear within the hour once on the hard and be impossible to find.

It's actually a good idea to use a new color for each bottom job--tell at a glance how much paint remains. I suppose we should check the manufacturer about compatibility between brands and types.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Yes, do pay attention to the warning about rudders exposed to sunlight while on the hard. We made a white nylon "sock" that we put over the rudder as soon as it was power washed after hauling. Other folks near us would wrap their rudders in a couple of sheets of white polystyrene foam for the winter. I've never seen a rudder painted white, but if you can get good antifouling paint in white it would make sense - but I would still cover it just to be sure.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Can someone explain this? I know about wet rudders hauled in freezing climates, but don't understand the sun bit. Is it because the skin is just glued to foam and not real laminate?
But my Hobie cat didn't blister in the sun, and it was thin skin over foam... ?

u079721

Contributing Partner
Can someone explain this? I know about wet rudders hauled in freezing climates, but don't understand the sun bit. Is it because the skin is just glued to foam and not real laminate?
But my Hobie cat didn't blister in the sun, and it was thin skin over foam... ?

Well for a start, wasn't the rudder of your Hobie white? I remember the rudder on my Laser was.

Navman

Member III
I painted mine white using "BLUE WATER" anti-fouling paint. It can be bought by the quart and is comparatively very inexpensive compared to other brands and work very well. I am on my second season with only a touch up this past spring. I have enough paint to do about 4-5 total applications. I actually like the look, nice contrast to the red bottom and it work well.

e38 owner

Member III
I left mine for a week before I could get the cover on
caused big time issues spent a winter repairing the bulges
If painted in a dark color cover as soon as it is out of the water

Merrimist

Hammy, 'Merrimist' E38 in sunny Bda
E38 and other E's Rudder skin

I will do as suggested and cover the rudder after power washing - now I am somewhat concerned about soda blasting the rudder (hull will cause no issues that I am aware of) to remove ALL the old antifoul.

I really do appreciate the time for you all to reply, thank you. Christian, yes, good advice to mark the osmotic blisters, I will be using a grinder :egrin: and to alternate the colours of subsequent antifoul'

Although no-one has actually answered why or what the skin of the rudder is and the reason direct sunlight on a dark antifoul rudder causes distortion - still wondering.
Or if I should not soda blast - but rather just hand wet sand.......

Hammy in sunny Bermuda ducking hurricanes.