• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

NW Rendezvous in B C 2018

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We're in

Put us down for this event.
Lots to do on our boat to be ready for the ocean, but things are on schedule so far.

Loren

missalot

Member II
Made reservations today. First time since about 1993 I have tried to make an Ericson rendezvous - never made it that time - high hopes this year! See you all in July!

Kyle
Kymodoce
E29

TKBLACK

Member II
BC Rendezvous

Tom and Karin on Achates reserved a slip. PSE 34 We had a memorable and fun Rendezvous last year. :egrin::egrin:

Second Star

Member III
2018 rv genoa bay

Many thanks to Makana for diving in and talking to Genoa Bay. We, Second Star, volunteered in Langley to do the job in Genoa Bay but shortly after we got back from a fall motor home trip Launi was diagnosed with cancer and we've been heavily occupied with surgery, chemo etc. This will go on well into the summer and we really appreciate the Ericson heroes who have jumped in to salvage our dropping the ball. We hope to find a window in treatment so we can make the RV this year but that idea is still in the air. Once again thanks for stepping in.
David and Launi Kirby

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I'm so sorry to hear that! Best wishes to you both for a successful outcome following treatment! Hope you can get sailing again soon!!
Frank

Scott B.

Mola Mola (E25+ with Scott, Cynthia, and Colin aboard) will be going to the rendezvous in Genoa Bay. We look forward to seeing you all there. Our hearts go out to Launi and David, and we wish Launi the best and quickest recovery.

-- Scott

Mercator 35-2

2018 rv

Sadly Mercator will be in Desolation sound at this time and will not make the rendezvous this year. Good luck and have fun! Kp

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Are we still good with bgery (Bruce) doing the notification or should we go directly to Genoa Bay? We seem to be doing both.

Annette

Rendezvous

Peregrine (1973 32ft) with Annette and Sarein will most likely join for at least an evening! Still trying to work out the schedule around our planned trip to the Broughtons. Do we register at Genoa Bay or on this thread?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Peregrine (1973 32ft) with Annette and Sarein will most likely join for at least an evening! Still trying to work out the schedule around our planned trip to the Broughtons. Do we register at Genoa Bay or on this thread?

I believe it's best to contact the marina directly.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I just phoned in and confirmed our dock reservation. Really nice folks to talk to.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Quick Q on routing

At this point, I'm planning on checking into Canada at Sidney.

To get around the corner to Genoa Bay, are there useful things to know about the passages (Iriquois Passage or John Passage, and then Colburne Passage)?

Or if unfamiliar with the area, is it more prudent just to go around Coal island and up from there?

Bruce

Second Star

Member III
2016 Rendezvous

Have done this route several times. You check into customs at the Sidney Marina just past the hard turn at the north end of the entrance between the breakwaters. This is about 0.4 nm north of the Wash State Ferry Terminal. The open water path to Genoa Bay would take you NE out of Sidney leaving Dock I to port and then Shute Passage into Satellite Ch. It is longer. You will dodge ferries out of Swartz Bay BC Ferries terminal at the E end of Colburne Passage, Gosse Passage and the NW end of Colburne Passage but you can hear them on Victoria Traffic. You can also round Coal I on the E side into Colburne. The more interesting route is to N out of Sidney, W of Little Shell I into the day marked passage between Fernie I and Goudge I to W and Coal I to the E then into Colburne Passage. The BC ferry traffic will be obvious either leaving the terminal or approaching via the above mentioned "openings" and there is room to heave to for the ferries or alter etc as required to keep away from them. It is close for them and they don't like to move for us little fellas. Do plan to traverse at slack of near slack to keep things simple if using the "interesting" route. Cdn chart 3441 or if you are rich the large scale 3476

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Not this year, after all

Regrets.
:esad:

Too many things going on, for us. New engine in the boat needs local 'break in' hours and some more work yet on auxiliary systems, and we are almost there, but not quite.
Our house remodel is taking longer than planned.
Other "stuff" that keeps us closer to home, and the upshot is that I canceled our July reservation for the boat @ Genoa Bay.
(They are extremely gracious, even when being told of a cancellation -- quite unlike the reception at some other marinas I will not name.)

You guys and gals have fun! Enjoy happy hour on each others' Ericson. :)
Stay up late! Have coffee and breakfast at the floating cafe. :)

Regards,

Loren & Kathy, in distant Portland OR

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Three weeks!

Yes, three weeks from tomorrow is the Friday of the Rendezvous weekend.

I have a really long list of things still to do to get the boat ready (I'm hoping winches and clutches go on this weekend...), but nothing that looks like a deal-breaker. Knock on wood.

If you've already contacted the marina directly, you should be good to go.

If you haven't - feel free to call them (800-572-6481 or 250-746-7621)

...and if that's problematic for some reason, let me know and I'd be happy to call them on your behalf.

I haven't kept a formal roll, but according to this thread it looks like we'll have
-- Achates (34)
-- Dawntreader (?)
-- Diversion (32)
-- Kymodoce (29)
-- Makana (32)
-- Mola Mola (25+)
-- Morning Mist (30+)
-- Peregrine (32)
-- Second Star (28+)
-- Terra Nova (34)
-- Touchrain (38)
... let me know if I've missed anyone?

and, PLEASE NOTE: I'm not the "event coordinator". I hope (but don't know) that someone (local?) is coordinating with the marina to use the shelter space for a pot-luck or other festivities.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Bruce

PS - if anyone is planning to go from "around here", let me know if you want to meet up and/or travel in convoy. My plan at this point is
-- Everett to Port Townsend, Weds 4-July (fireworks at Fort Worden!)
-- Port Townsend to Sidney, Thurs 5-July
-- Sidney to Genoa Bay (with, probably, some sightseeing along the way) Fri, 6-July

Last edited: