Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NW Rendezvous in B C 2018

Bremerton Yacht Club, Bremerton, WA; U.S.A.

NW Rendezvous in B C 2018

Will 2018 Rendezvous be in Genoa Bay, BC after July 4th?
    Is Second Star organizing ?
    Desiring to make plans. We had a wonderful sail home from Langley in 2017. On internet
    following www.sailingcinderella.
    Tom and Karin - Achates

Blog Entries

Drink Genoa Bay

The next weekend, July 6 -8, would match up with recent date slots for the event.
    We stayed @ Genoa Bay several days back in 2014 when cruising in BC waters; nice place and the 'natives were friendly' as the saying goes.

There was a restaurant nearby. Smaller cafe on the dock with a covered dining area IIRC. I wonder if they offer the area for a visiting group to have a meeting and pot luck? Wooden docks with good power and water available. We were tied to their outer long dock, and the bay seemed very sheltered. Quite a few boats anchored out, and some looked like they were moored regularly.

Checking their web site this season shows that the retired guy running the little ferry back n forth to Cow Bay each day is still there. That was a fun way to visit shops and get an ice cream cone over in the other larger bay.

Up to the you BC owners to decide, but Kathy and I would love an excuse to return there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Loren Beach; 12-05-2017 at 02:56 PM. Reason: can't spel
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

GANGES Is Great Too

Genoa Bay is a great location. They offer a shuttle to maple bay if enough people need to head there to provision. Ganges is most likely our favourite spot since we enjoy the live music at the Tree House and place next to it. We often enjoy a glass of wine on the boat listening to the music dance across the water; I highly recommend it for anyone in the general area.

Lots of great options...keep us posted.

Principal Partner
    The problem with Ganges is it is always a madhouse and the summer weekends are crazy. I could see fights breaking out over berths. Genoa is a more relaxed place. For an alternative get to gether that's not part of the Rendezvous is some of us could consider a raft up at Montague Harbor. It's a wonderful anchoring harbor.
    Bob Morrison
    1987 E-34 Hull #15
    "Terra Nova"

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
    Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada on Vancouver Island
    Each of these has advantages and disadvantages. Genoa Bay is definitely the most peaceful, with a very good restaurant overlooking the Bay, and good anchoring close by for those who prefer to anchor in the Bay. Both Ganges and Montague are much busier in the summer.
    Frank

Contributing Partner
    How large are the rendezvous typically? I've seen several held at Poets Cove and that is one of my favourite spots but would have to be reserved far in advance. Montague is very nice but I wouldn't want to stay at the marina, pub bus is great. Ganges, good luck getting dock space, is very busy in the summer as supersailor mentions. We anchor out away from the crowds there. The Tree House is great, as is the Oystercatcher next door.

I've never been to Genoa Bay, there is a very good chance Leela may make an appearance for this one!

~-~-~-~-~-~-~
    1981 Ericson 30+, rocking the Juan de Fuca

Principal Partner
    One of the problems with Langley this year was that the marina is small and it couldn't accommodate the later reservations. I personally know two boats that didn't come because of the reservation problem. The second problem was the really bad anchoring situation. To get protection from the large chop, you went aground. Genoa Bay does not have these problems. Large Guest Docks and a great anchorage. There is no way that Ganges would accommodate later reservations. Montague's marina is a joke.

My suggestion for Montague was not for the Rendezvous but for a rafting get to gather at another time if anyone is interested.
    Bob Morrison
    1987 E-34 Hull #15
    "Terra Nova"

Contributing Member III KTROBI_VALHALLA's Avatar
    I was under the impression that Genoa Bay was 'unofficially' decided upon after a poll was taken at Langley. I do think there was a poll taken.....or was that me agreeing to one more cocktail!
    Last edited by KTROBI_VALHALLA; 10-20-2017 at 05:23 PM.
    Kevin Robinson
    'VALHALLA'
    1990 E38-200
    Hull #338
    Commencement Bay WA

Blog Entries

Drink

It would be helpful if a local Ericson/Olson owner would contact these folks and find out what the costs and benefits are. Sooner is probably better than later.
    http://www.genoabaymarina.com/index.php

Based on past years, I would imagine that the group will bring about 20 boats.
    Last edited by Loren Beach; 10-20-2017 at 06:37 PM.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Time to finalize the location, etc

Is anyone making the contacts for the gathering?
    Time to move this thread along.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Blog Entries
    It "seems" to me like we have consensus around dates (July 6-8) and venue (Genoa Bay)....

What are the normal next steps? I'm on airplanes for most of the next two weeks, but happy to make phone calls or whatever would help to move this forward.

Bruce
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604
    Makana blog: here

Blog Entries

Drink

Quote Originally Posted by bgary View Post
    It "seems" to me like we have consensus around dates (July 6-8) and venue (Genoa Bay)....

What are the normal next steps? I'm on airplanes for most of the next two weeks, but happy to make phone calls or whatever would help to move this forward.

Bruce
    Thanks for stepping up, Bruce. (If that's what you are hopefully doing...)
    Much appreciated.

I would suggest contacting the marina and requesting a reservation for "about" 20 boats - or as few as 12 - it varies from year to year. Some of us can raft up if needed. Typically we want Friday and saturday nights, and maybe half of more of us will want Sunday night as well.

Once we have some sort of commitment from the marina, we just need to notify the NW boating "press", like 48 North and Pacific Yachting. And then put out a little email flyer / notice to any other yacht clubs and marinas that we can think of in the general area.

Really, that's all there is to it. As we get closer you can declare what formal activities, like boat visitations and a pot luck, that you want to have. Personally we love meeting other owners and getting better acquainted.

We could have a "sail past" in the bay; winds seemed to be light in the summertime when we visited. Luckily Ericson's are great light air boats.

Thanks again,
    Loren
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Beach View Post
    Thanks for stepping up, Bruce. (If that's what you are hopefully doing...)
    Er....ummm...sure, but within boundaries.

I'll at least make some calls to the marina and see what's involved in making a reservation. Sounds like a block-reservation for up to 20 boats (a mix of lengths from 26 to 38 feet, if the Langley event was a good sample) for Friday and Saturday, half staying over for Sunday. I'll try to revert with the info and next steps by end of week.

And happy to help in other ways as well. But... my skills in event planning are non-existent, so we'll for-sure want someone to own the overall event, and I'm happy to help on tasks as needed.

IIRC, someone "agreed" (alcohol might have been involved) to be the coordinator for the 2018 event. I think Sorceror/Shaun called "no tag-backs", maybe it was Valhalla/Kevin? Don't know.

Bob, do you remember which arm we were to twist? And is there an aspect of the planning that makes it beneficial to have a local at the controls?

Bruce
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604
    Makana blog: here

Principal Partner
    Ah, is not the planning and execution of this years (2018) Rendezvous supposed to be a Canadian led event and next year's an American led event?
    Last edited by supersailor; 12-05-2017 at 03:16 PM.
    Bob Morrison
    1987 E-34 Hull #15
    "Terra Nova"

Blog Entries

You are right....

Quote Originally Posted by supersailor View Post
    Ah, is not the planning and execution of this years (2018) Rendezvous supposed to be a Canadian led event and next year's an American led event?
    In theory, certainly yes.
    OTOH, a few years ago the American side did not want to do the minimal leg work, and I did all the phone calls to make it happen at Pt Townsend.
    I did not mind, and it did not take too much time... but it's kinda nice to have someone more local to be able to put eyes on the proceedings.

Loren
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA