Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NW Rendezvous in B C 2018

Rendezvous

Peregrine (1973 32ft) with Annette and Sarein will most likely join for at least an evening! Still trying to work out the schedule around our planned trip to the Broughtons. Do we register at Genoa Bay or on this thread?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annette View Post
    Peregrine (1973 32ft) with Annette and Sarein will most likely join for at least an evening! Still trying to work out the schedule around our planned trip to the Broughtons. Do we register at Genoa Bay or on this thread?
    I believe it's best to contact the marina directly.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Beach View Post
    I believe it's best to contact the marina directly.

Great! Will do! See you all then!

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

I just phoned in and confirmed our dock reservation. Really nice folks to talk to.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Contributing Member III
    Hope to make our first rendezvous. Love Genoa Bay.

Michael Wilson
    Touchrain
    E-38

Contributing Member III

2018 rv genoa bay

Second Star 28+ has made reservations for the RV.

Blog Entries

Quick Q on routing

At this point, I'm planning on checking into Canada at Sidney.

To get around the corner to Genoa Bay, are there useful things to know about the passages (Iriquois Passage or John Passage, and then Colburne Passage)?

Or if unfamiliar with the area, is it more prudent just to go around Coal island and up from there?

Bruce
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604
    Makana blog: here

Contributing Member III

2016 Rendezvous

Have done this route several times. You check into customs at the Sidney Marina just past the hard turn at the north end of the entrance between the breakwaters. This is about 0.4 nm north of the Wash State Ferry Terminal. The open water path to Genoa Bay would take you NE out of Sidney leaving Dock I to port and then Shute Passage into Satellite Ch. It is longer. You will dodge ferries out of Swartz Bay BC Ferries terminal at the E end of Colburne Passage, Gosse Passage and the NW end of Colburne Passage but you can hear them on Victoria Traffic. You can also round Coal I on the E side into Colburne. The more interesting route is to N out of Sidney, W of Little Shell I into the day marked passage between Fernie I and Goudge I to W and Coal I to the E then into Colburne Passage. The BC ferry traffic will be obvious either leaving the terminal or approaching via the above mentioned "openings" and there is room to heave to for the ferries or alter etc as required to keep away from them. It is close for them and they don't like to move for us little fellas. Do plan to traverse at slack of near slack to keep things simple if using the "interesting" route. Cdn chart 3441 or if you are rich the large scale 3476

Blog Entries

Red face Not this year, after all

Regrets.

Too many things going on, for us. New engine in the boat needs local 'break in' hours and some more work yet on auxiliary systems, and we are almost there, but not quite.
    Our house remodel is taking longer than planned.
    Other "stuff" that keeps us closer to home, and the upshot is that I canceled our July reservation for the boat @ Genoa Bay.
    (They are extremely gracious, even when being told of a cancellation -- quite unlike the reception at some other marinas I will not name.)

You guys and gals have fun! Enjoy happy hour on each others' Ericson.
    Stay up late! Have coffee and breakfast at the floating cafe.

Regards,

Loren & Kathy, in distant Portland OR
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Blog Entries

Three weeks!

Yes, three weeks from tomorrow is the Friday of the Rendezvous weekend.

I have a really long list of things still to do to get the boat ready (I'm hoping winches and clutches go on this weekend...), but nothing that looks like a deal-breaker. Knock on wood.

If you've already contacted the marina directly, you should be good to go.

If you haven't - feel free to call them (800-572-6481 or 250-746-7621)

...and if that's problematic for some reason, let me know and I'd be happy to call them on your behalf.

I haven't kept a formal roll, but according to this thread it looks like we'll have
    -- Achates (34)
    -- Dawntreader (?)
    -- Diversion (32)
    -- Kymodoce (29)
    -- Makana (32)
    -- Mola Mola (25+)
    -- Morning Mist (30+)
    -- Peregrine (32)
    -- Second Star (28+)
    -- Terra Nova (34)
    -- Touchrain (38)
    ... let me know if I've missed anyone?

and, PLEASE NOTE: I'm not the "event coordinator". I hope (but don't know) that someone (local?) is coordinating with the marina to use the shelter space for a pot-luck or other festivities.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Bruce

PS - if anyone is planning to go from "around here", let me know if you want to meet up and/or travel in convoy. My plan at this point is
    -- Everett to Port Townsend, Weds 4-July (fireworks at Fort Worden!)
    -- Port Townsend to Sidney, Thurs 5-July
    -- Sidney to Genoa Bay (with, probably, some sightseeing along the way) Fri, 6-July
    Last edited by bgary; 06-14-2018 at 01:55 PM.
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604

Contributing Member III
    Thanks for all the info, Bruce. We will be traveling from the lamb roast on Saturna, July 1. We look forward to meeting everyone. Sorry to hear you canít make it, Loren. Was looking forward to seeing you after reading your posts all these years.

Blog Entries

Planning for currents

Quote Originally Posted by bgary View Post
    -- Port Townsend to Sidney, Thurs 5-July
    I started looking at my current-charts (hey, no sense rushing into things... it makes perfect sense to pick the days and *then* look at the conditions, right?) and noticed that the currents are UGLY headed up past Victoria on the 5th. 3+ knots on the nose during much of the day, if I stick to the middle of the waterways.

But it looks - at least on paper - that there is an interesting counter-current going the right direction if I hug the west side of San Juan Island.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5207.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	24540

Anyone ever use that? How close to shore would I need to be? (noting that there's new voluntary "no-go zone" along that shoreline, 1/4 mile out and 1/2 mile outside Lime Kiln Point)

Thanks in advance, Bruce

(edited to add a snip of the current-atlas)
    Last edited by bgary; 06-16-2018 at 10:34 AM.
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604

Contributing Partner
    Hi Bruce,

Sorry I won't make it this year but Genoa Bay is a nice spot. I pretty much live by the current charts. Sailing out of Port Townsend without them would be crazy. With them you can make it from PT to Sidney easily in a day, but without them you never would. Its all about timing your departure to get the best out of the currents. You want leave to catch the last 2 hours of the outgoing tide to get past point Wilson. That means you will hit slack up near Smith Is., then the current will turn and start pushing you up past San Juan Is. I normally head towards Canada at a little before Lime Kiln so you pass on the West side of D'Arcy Is and into either Cordova or Sidney channels. The wind is normally blowing straight up or down Harrow Straight and this gives you a better point of sail than beating up to Roche and then turning West.

For getting up to Genoa from Sidney I'd recommend going through Iriquois channel and not Johns channel. Johns has a big effing rock in the middle of it. Not a problem for little stinkpotters or a local who knows where it is, but those of us with a fathom of keel sticking down better know where it is. I've gone through several times in my E27 but have yet to take the E35 through. Also be VERY paranoid in Schwartz bay. The BC ferries will run you over and have done so (fatally) in the past. They expect you to get out of their way. You have ferries entering and exiting through multiple channels and they are moving much faster than you are. Keep your head on a swivel.

If you happen to be in Roche Harbor the nights of July 13 or 14 look me up. I'm taking the gals up there instead of to Langley this year. Will head down to Lopez on the 15th to overnight before heading back to PT on the 16th.

Kevin Wright
    E35 Hydro Therapy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin A Wright View Post
    Its all about timing your departure to get the best out of the currents.
    Thanks, Kevin!

My current "plan" (that's probably overstating the degree to which I've settled on it) is to get out PT by 0600 on 5-July. (slack at Pt. Wilson is 0631... maybe I should leave at 0430 to get the last two hours of ebb? Hmmm)

That should get me across the Strait through an easterly set but no real on-the-nose current (the 0800 current chart looks like this):

Name:	18.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	150.2 KB 
ID:	24642

With luck I'll be near Cattle Point by 10am, and then have a decision to make - head up inside the San Juans (San Juan Channel)... which has sorta random currents along the way but could lead to some favorable current in Spieden Channel, or... see if I can find the counter-current along the west side of San Juan Island which, over the next couple of hours, looks like it could flush me more or less toward Sidney. The noon chart looks like this:

Name:	38.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	24643

the current will turn and start pushing you up past San Juan Is.
    Yeah, unless I'm misreading my current atlas, I'm not seeing a favorable push northbound in Haro until late in the day.

The 7pm current chart looks really great past Victoria... but I'd kinda like to get into Sidney earlier than that in order to clear CBSA and all.

Name:	11.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	24644

If you happen to be in Roche Harbor the nights of July 13 or 14 look me up.
    I'd love that! But need to be on an airplane for work on the 15th, so current plan is to be back in Everett by the 13th.

Bruce
    Last edited by bgary; 06-26-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604

Contributing Partner
    Yep looks like you've got the right idea. When I talked about the 'northern push' I was referring to the counter current along the side of San Juan Island and just follow that right over to the west side of D'Arcy and up to Sidney. It's usually out to about 1/4 mile off the coast.

You can certainly push through Wilson on a slack, but be ready for a washing machine ride. There will be a rip forming somewhere along there that will move with the tide. And the rip moves about as fast as a sailboat in the same direction you are heading. So if you are unlucky you can get stuck in the turbulent water for an hour or more as it moves with you. At the wrong time and wind can have 3' standing waves and whirlpools that will swing you 30 degrees. Gets old fast. Keep an eye on the horizon and sometimes you can get on the other side of the rip by jogging north towards Partridge Point first.

Sorry we won't see you in Roche, but have a good time in Canada. If you stop in Sidney there is a bakery about 2 blocks up the main drag on the left hand side that has beef pies. Nothing like a cold beef pie and a cup of coffee for breakfast!

Kevin Wright

E35 Hydro Therapy