• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

And...they still leak

Filkee

Sustaining Member
I’m squatting on this thread because my question is so close to the subject. What thickness of plywood does one use to replace the cabin trunk teak? I’ve poked around other threads but can’t find the answer.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I used 1/4" teak ply I purchased from a local place called Compton lumber. Really nice people and the owner is a boat builder (vintage hydroplanes). The lumber yard might not be able to help you directly, but maybe someone else more local will find this thread later and give them a call. Good luck with your project.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
At least consider fairing, sealing and painting what's there. The result looks good, and it saves quite a big job.

The Interlux Brightside Hatteras Off-White in this photo covers former teak veneer. It lightens things up.

IMG_0160.jpg

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Hatteras

I did, but the original piece is so chewed up that it won’t even take the trim screws.

fool

Member III
At least consider fairing, sealing and painting what's there. The result looks good, and it saves quite a big job.

The Interlux Brightside Hatteras Off-White in this photo covers former teak veneer. It lightens things up.

Seconded (as if this were a parliamentary proceeding), I did the Hatteras Off-White as well and the impact on the feel and light in the cabin is amazing. I no longer feel as though I'm in a dug out canoe. Just have to remember to photo document the results.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
F7ABCFB0-4DFA-45FE-B4F3-8CF7E3523815.jpgIt’s more like wicker than wood up in there, though I do share the aesthetic sympathies of my right honorable colleagues.

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
When I first started this project my intent was to make it look as close to new as possible. I never really questioned doing anything other than what came from the factory. I'm pretty sure Christian even through out the painted side wall option in one of my other posts, but I went ahead anyway. Looking back, I think I would have opted for the painted side wall option and painting the bulkheads as well. I like the look and I think it would have made it a lot brighter (even though the E25+ doesn't really feel cramped). It would be a shame to paint the new teak plywood, so I think I'll continue in the same direction, but I'll never argue with anyone wanting to paint some of the teak surfaces.

markvone

Sustaining Member
Filkee,

My E36RH also used 1/4 inch teak plywood. I would check a piece of yours before you commit. The plywood isn't cheap.

Nick,

My port supplier recommended (and I used) a 2 inch coarse sanding drum in my drill to open up the port openings where needed. Worked like a charm. Re-seal the edge if you do this.

Mark

Brad Johnson

Member III
I’m squatting on this thread because my question is so close to the subject. What thickness of plywood does one use to replace the cabin trunk teak? I’ve poked around other threads but can’t find the answer.

I am in the middle of this project now on a 25+ and it is 1/4 in plywood that must have been installed with resin , once the plywood is removed the surface is easily sanded smooth ready for the new teak plywood.