• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Stuctural Fiberglass Damage due to Water Freezing Between Hull and TAFG

woodfield

Has anyone encountered structural integrity problems due water freezing between between hull and TAFG moldings? I'm considering purchase of a 30-2 that has spent its life in Northern climates. I owned a 1974 E 37 ( designed prior to TAFG concept was conceived) for 25 years that had internal lead ballast. I would always pour a gallon of marine antifreeze into the supposedly sealed lead cavity during winter layup. The boat is still going strong with no apparent structural problems after 40+ seasons.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome aboard the forum.

Does the boat in question seem to have such an issue?

The TAFG is tabbed to the hull in numerous places, but no attempt was made to seal it. Water routinely enters the TAFG structure through limber holes and then returns to the molded bilges the same way.

There's probably plenty of room within the structure for "normal" bilgewater ice expansion. I have no actual experience with that, however.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Welcome aboard the forum.

Does the boat in question seem to have such an issue?

The TAFG is tabbed to the hull in numerous places, but no attempt was made to seal it. Water routinely enters the TAFG structure through limber holes and then returns to the molded bilges the same way.

There's probably plenty of room within the structure for "normal" bilgewater ice expansion. I have no actual experience with that, however.

I would not pour anti-mfreeze anywhere without a clear way of removing it. It stinks and it may take a long time to get out of the TAFG spaces. I have not had any detectable freezing problems in the TAFG area.

e38 owner

Member III
I keep my 38 in Utah at about 6000 feet of altitude Gets down to -10 or -15 in January

Some winters I keep the boat in the water others on the hard. I am building a new winter cover now
I have had the boat for 35 years and have not had any damage issues regarding the tfag

Some years I have but antifreeze in the bilge, the pink stiff. Does not really stop the freezing if water enters the bilge. just gets diluted

If you can't keep the water out could had some wood blocks in bilge

Best is to have a good winter cover and limit what gets in the bilge. I am making number 2 first one lasted 17 years. I use 18oz vinyl and glue it. I think the biggest problem is not water in the bilge but snow moisture near the windows, anchor locker, Shrouds etc.

If you keep the boat in the water it is not as big of a problem because the bilges does not get as cold.

When I keep the boat in the water I have put roof heat tape in bilge keeps try as a bone

I always remove bilge boards

kari

Member III
Never heard of any such issue/problem here in New England . . . lots of freezing here . . .in water and out . . .