• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Man Dead at Top of Mast

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
But for a moment or two, what a great view....

https://patch.com/california/palosverdes/73-year-old-dies-while-tethered-sailboat-wilmington

WILMINGTON, CA – While tethered aloft to a sailboat's rigging at a slip in a Wilmington marina, a 73-year-old man died Wednesday. Firefighters called about 3:35 p.m. to Island Yacht Anchorage 2 in the 700 block of Shore Road found the man unconscious, harnessed high on the boat's mast, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department and reports from the scene.
While attempting to lower the man to the boat's deck, firefighters determined he was dead, according to the LAFD's Margaret Stewart, who initially said he appeared to have suffered a medical emergency. His name was not immediately released.
City News Service and Patch staffer Emily Holland contributed to this post; Image via Shutterstock

<section id="below-article-sub-form" style="box-sizing: border-box; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Georgia, &quot;Times New Roman&quot;, Times, serif; font-size: 18.2px;"></section>
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Insult added to death

Not just a "man" but an...."Elderly Man "

Now that's just Rude!

:rolleyes:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
How sad. I suppose looking at it from another angle, though, he may have died doing something he loved rather than rotting away in a nursing home somewhere. Given the choice between the two, I know which way I'd rather go.

I hope it was not the case that his location at the top of the mast precluded him receiving treatment that might otherwise have saved him. But I guess we will never know that.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
How sad. I suppose looking at it from another angle, though, he may have died doing something he loved rather than rotting away in a nursing home somewhere. Given the choice between the two, I know which way I'd rather go.

I hope it was not the case that his location at the top of the mast precluded him receiving treatment that might otherwise have saved him. But I guess we will never know that.

73 is not nursing home age; It is ocean crossing age.:egrin:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Being well past 73, and having been up at the masthead a week ago I understand that it gets scary as the years go by. However, how else do you get the masthead unit down for maintenance? As we all know, when sailing we do what we have to do.

Our cars may go to the dealer for maintenance, but the boat we fix ourselves.