• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Thelonious LA-Oahu Video 2017

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Kathy and I just watched it. Way to go!!

Saved the dancing for the end, we noticed...
:egrin:

fool

Member III
Thank you for providing so much inspiration for us to cast off the dock lines and stretch our imaginations to achieve over the horizon goals.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain.

And of course... you.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Another awesome accomplishment (the trip) and a great production (the vid) Christian! I know how time consuming editing video can be. You must have spent hours on this one.

Watched the other night and said to my wife, "See, Christain is still intoxicated on wind and having a blast at 74! I want to sail to Brazil."

I just can't decide on where best to use the bucket-head shot (purely marketing), the next book cover or a cool t-shirt!

Maybe both!
Rick

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Why, Rick, the video took maybe a hour for me to slap together.

Actually, I had 20 hours of video in three formats, all needing conversion. I detected and named about 500 scenes, almost all of them requiring a different audio level. There were five tracks. My i7 machine with 4 terabytes was smoking its card. I think I put in 100 hours on the project.

On the other hand, I can do everything in my home office that Universal Studios could do in 1985.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Why, Rick, the video took maybe a hour for me to slap together.

Actually, I had 20 hours of video in three formats, all needing conversion. I detected and named about 500 scenes, almost all of them requiring a different audio level. There were five tracks. My i7 machine with 4 terabytes was smoking its card. I think I put in 100 hours on the project.

On the other hand, I can do everything in my home office that Universal Studios could do in 1985.

I knew it was time consuming for you..lol. Did you find yourself thinking about "the shot" as you traveled?

I think back to the days when I would be in an old editing suite with two beta machines and an editor, pre roll, syncing, jammed tapes, ughhh! I spent hundreds of hours editing a tv show we used to have in Pittsburgh.

Then with a Pinnacle Card and a PC it was much easier but rendering took forever! With GoPro's being so easy to use (and cheap too) I wish they'd make editing as instant as shooting...

Same with audio. We used to pay 150 an hour to get in a 24 track studio with great mics. Today I can record 150 tracks "in the box", automate the mix and even emulate any vintage microphone or mixing console. Crazy technology...

Thanks for taking the time to put it all together and don't touch that card without gloves...lol

jamescio

Member II
Enjoyed the videos

Mr. Williams,

Thank you for taking the time to share your adventures with us. I'm actually inspired by these videos, your writing, editing, videography and delivery are outstanding! I have a bucket list and these have truly motivated me to begin preparing my boat to accomplish what you've done.

Some time ago, I can't remember who it was, told me; "it's a life less ordinary", you sir have done that!

Jim Ciotti
1982 Ericson 30+
Lake Erie:esad:

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
WOW!!!! To my shame up to this point when I came across stuff about your Hawaii voyage I sometimes rolled my eyes and thought, "big deal, it's an easy trade wind cruise." After watching as much of your video as we could (there is very limited internet access here) I realize how narrow minded my first thoughts were. I was shackling myself with by own fragile ego, focusing too much on comparisons with other people rather than realizing, as you point out, that we are all small parts of a big ocean, even as we grow bigger from being out there (sorry for the poor paraphrasing...) What is most powerful about your voyage, in my opinion, is not the "what" so much as the "how." Don't get me wrong, the "what" is impressive by any measure. Anyone who single hands an ocean passage deserves some respect, even more so when they do it as proficiently as you. But it's the perspectives you shared (and the powerful yet subtle way you share them) that stir my thoughts. In the short term you inspire me to view an upcoming passage with increased enthusiasm rather than seeing it as almost burdensome (especially as my disease progresses). I could go on but I think you get the point. Bottom line is I am humbled, inspired, educated, entertained, and impressed by your video but more importantly by you. Thank you for sharing your adventures and thoughts and for showing us a wake worth following. Much respect sir... Ryan

Last edited:

jamescio

Member II
Your both inspiring

Ryan,

I think you and your channel are inspiring too! I have watched both of the YouTube channels, and have followed you and become familiar with your story. Both of these sites have encouraged people, especially sailors to follow their dreams and nothing is beyond reach. It is especially appealing because it's being done with Ericson sailboats. I look forward to Nicole and your updates. I am also looking forward to Christian's new videos and travels. Both are well done,have great editing and tell unique and interesting stories. You have allowed us to vicariously live your adventures and I am extremely grateful for those opportunities.

thank you for the journey and the best to you and Nicole
Jim Ciotti
Ericson 30+

907Juice

Continuously learning
Love it!

I'm a bit late to this thread. I just got back from hunting and thoroughly enjoyed reading about christians solo to Hawaii and look forward to the sequel. I also have to agree that Ryan's videos are great as it seems to portray a couple living their dream and learning as they go. Both are something to strive for. From one young sailer to a couple salty others, I say bravo and keep on keeping on!

Juice

907Juice

Continuously learning
24:20 on video

Christian, what is that you adjusted in your video. I have asked a few people what that little stringy thing (not quite the technical term) on the sail is and nobody seems to know what it is or used for. It looks like something to tension the luff but not sure.

juice

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Leech line. Just a string in a hem of the leech. Tighten it and the flapping goes away.

New sails like mine use Velcro, formerly there would be a plastic cleat on the sail.

Sometimes even a perfectly set sail will flap at the leech, and a slight adjustment stops it.