• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Need Mast for E27 - Hurricane Harvey casualty

Thirstforwind

Hurricane Harvey nearly destroyed SV Finally in Port Aransas Texas. She's still floating and no damage to the hull but the rigging is ruined... mast and sails. Anyone know where to begin looking for a new mast? What about a mast substitute from a different model boat? I'm also going to need sails.

Thank you. Appreciate any advice. I only had liability insurance :confused: Is it even worth fixing the E27?

Kyle Krebs
Corpus Christi, Texas
mast.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, be sure to insure this boat (once repaired) or your next boat for an agreed-upon value.

Moving on, check the CraigsList postings, over a wide radius. There are a Lot of sister ships out there and there might be one being parted out, or maybe just buy one cheap to get the rig.
I agree that a new spar would be expensive. A quick call to an expert like Buzz @ Ballenger Spars will get you a preliminary cost.

Terrible weather you and the folks over in the SE are having!
:0

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I don't think you'll care for the cost of a new rig, a substitute rig is still going to involve a lot of time to fit to your boat. I suggest looking into the possibility of sleeving the old rig.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I am pretty sure that I've seen one advertised a couple of times in the last year... Craigslist? I would look into a sleeve repair in the short term and keep an eye out for a used replacement over the next couple of years.

Hope everything else is OK with you...

frick

Member III
A Friend lost his mast

A Friend with an E35 lost his mast with the turnbuckle failed....

He went with a new Selden Mast and All new rigging.... His insurance covered it, the local yard did all the work and brother was it expensive.

Rick+

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I don't see an easy fix. The mast could be sleeved, perhaps. But then, replacement sails and probably some shrouds and running rigging. All that work and expense will not increase the resale value of the boat, which will still be a repaired boat.

So, I would examine my emotions. Sometimes a boat means something and is worth effort and money. Often a cold-blooded approach is cheaper and another boat the answer.

One thing to try: other boats in the area wrecked by the storm. Perhaps there is a suitable replacement rig on a hull damaged beyond repair. The price would be right.

Sorry you took such a hard hit.

Last edited: