• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

e381 Cabin Sole Replacement

Neil Gallagher

1984 E381
I bit the bullet and had the cabin sole replaced on the e381. I was concerned about how difficult it was going to be to get the old floor out but we were able to get every piece out in good enough shape to use it as a template. All the trim was removed stripped, sanded and refinished. The new floor is about as close as one could get to an original replacement as possible. All pieces were screwed down to the floor no glue anywhere (thank goodness)! I hired skilled craftsman who took his time and would not complete the job until it was done to his high standards.
New Sole1.jpgNew Sole2.jpgSOle Grid Cleaned.jpg

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
That is fantastic. Was the original glued in place?
- Edit- reread original post, no glue, understood. -

Last edited:

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
I bit the bullet and had the cabin sole replaced on the e381. I was concerned about how difficult it was going to be to get the old floor out but we were able to get every piece out in good enough shape to use it as a template. All the trim was removed stripped, sanded and refinished. The new floor is about as close as one could get to an original replacement as possible. All pieces were screwed down to the floor no glue anywhere (thank goodness)! I hired skilled craftsman who took his time and would not complete the job until it was done to his high standards.
View attachment 22747View attachment 22748View attachment 22749

Fantastic looking. Send him up north as my sole is need of some major TLC :)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Very nice indeed. What finish did you choose?

Also, in general terms, without invading your balance sheet, and as a guide to others, what is the likely range of bids for a professional replacement job?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Restoring Youth to your Sole

Fantastic looking. Send him up north as my sole is need of some major TLC :)

I stand by the comments in reply #3 to this sole refinishing/replacing thread.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...emoval-of-glued-down-cabin-sole&referrerid=28

Editorial Comment: There are major barrels of money to be saved (or spent). I figure that a patient DIY-er can do this 98% as well as the average pro. It will take time, but since time = money, I have always had more of the former. The education is worth a lot as well; learning new skills is one of the best parts of a "life well lived", strictly IMHO.

Note that the best professionals will really do a Great job for the money :) , and that most of less-skilled ones will do noticeably poorer work:mad: . The part that irks me is that the least-skilled "pro" will charge 98% of the rate as the best.
First challenge is winnowing out the actual skill levels of the applicants. :rolleyes:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren (re post #3), when I bought the first Thelonious it had a brand new T&H sole very carefully made. It wasn't finished either--just raw plywood.

I had to scrub out the dirt before finishing it. What's with anybody who would install a complicated five-piece cabin sole that has no finish of any kind?

Neil Gallagher

1984 E381
Answers to questions in the thread.
The T&H plywood has 3 coats of west epoxy on the bottom ans edges and 7 coats of Interlux satin polyuthane on the top. He built new edge trim for the bilges covers which were screwed into the covers with bungs installed. New pieces were screws to the grid with all new bungs and a final coat of polyurethane.

I spent time enlarging the limber holes to improve moisture flow to the bilge and cleaning all TAFG sections. I found a few limber holes that were closed due to fiberglass cloth covering the holes preventing drainage.

Needless to stay the cabin smells much better.