• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Setting off around the world!

adam

Member III
Hey Pajo,

Strange coincidence. I just noticed that you pulled into the guest dock right behind my boat.

if you're around tomorrow I'd love a tour of Cinderella to see what you've done to her.

-A

Last edited:

p.gazibara

Member III
Hey Pajo,

Strange coincidence. I just noticed that you pulled into the guest dock right behind my boat.

if you're around tomorrow I'd love a tour of Cinderella to see what you've done to her.

-A

I noticed that E-Boat when we were here the other day! Be great to meet up, we will be around until around 4ish. At a cafe atm getting the latest Gribs and connecting to the world. We will be back in a couple hrs, feel free to stop by!

Cheers,
-P

p.gazibara

Member III
Anyone in Santa Cruz have advice on anchorages? We should be arriving tomorrow around noon if all goes to plan.

Valhalla

Anchorage in Santa Cruz

Hi,

i don't have any experience anchoring in Santa Cruz, but usually we see folks anchoring between the wharf and the cliffs on the west side of the wharf (closer to the wharf, you'll see others there). Cruisers anchor on the east side too, but I've heard it can be rolly. You seem to be on your way, so this may be too late, but I'm guessing you'll have cell coverage, so maybe it will help.

Have a safe passage.
Cheers
Shane

(If you see a guy wearing a Hawaiian shirt waving wildly at you, it will probably be me.)

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Pajo,

Shane has it right, anchor on the west side of the wharf. You will see others there. There are swim buoys close to the beach to watch for. There is a gorgeous E35-2 anchored there, you cant miss it. I'll check over there at some point later to see if you've made it. Ill be in the Santa Cruz Harbor (N21) putting my boat back together after a spirited sail back from Stillwater Cove yesterday.

Last edited:

Valhalla

Cinderella

Hi Folks,

They made it to Santa Cruz yesterday. I had fun watching them come in and set the hook. I took a couple of photos

Setting Anchor
attachment.php

Approaching the wharf
attachment.php

Pajo, I have a couple more and can send you originals if you want.
Cheers
Shane

p.gazibara

Member III
Thanks so much Shane for taking those photos of us! Also, Mark F for giving us a ride to Buzz Ballenger's shop, and hanging out with us yesterday. What a cool experience.

We will be off in a couple hrs for the Channel Islands. If anyone has recommended anchorages/things to do, feel free to shoot them our way. I hope we can put another video together again soon to give an update to our journey.

-p

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
My pleasure Pajo and Ava. It's always interesting to see what Buzz is up to!

Looks like you have a good 2 1/2 day window to get down the Channel Islands.

Last edited:

p.gazibara

Member III
After a week in the Channel Islands, we are back in signal range! Also discovering how unfriendly to visiting boaters Marina Del Rey is. On the plus side, the people watching here is something I have never experienced anywhere. On the City dock we pulled up to, our neighbors were having a photoshoot in the slip next to us with some supermodels aboard.

On the plus side, if there is a small craft advisory in the area, you can stay the night on the City docks for free, otherwise there is a 4 hr dock and that's all you get.

Might be heading to San Diego sooner than we thought.

-p

p.gazibara

Member III
My pleasure Pajo and Ava. It's always interesting to see what Buzz is up to!

Looks like you have a good 2 1/2 day window to get down the Channel Islands.

We definitely made in it time before the southerly started to blow, saw some pretty steep swell coming around point conception, very bumpy but the Aries did all the work, we just popped up every 10-15 to make sure all was well.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi P,

Sorry about that, but true enough. No anchorage. Slip space waiting lists.

If it interests you, Cal Yacht Club can probably provide a guest slip for $35 a night, with amenities. If you belong to another club, first night is free. (let me know and I'll set it up)

That's about what a mooring costs at Two Harbors on Catalina, which is a marvelous place this time of year and has a restaurant and overall great ambiance.

Christian

p.gazibara

Member III
Well, it has been a rough week for us in MDR. Couldn't be happier to sail south. There is apparently heavy discrimination taking place by Los Angeles County against the anchoring liveaboards, and we found ourselves right in the middle of it. The experience nearly convinced us to want to stop cruising.

I mean no offense to Christian or the few Mariners left in that Marina, but we are still in shock. Not only were we victimized, but we overheard as the sheriffs department harassed local boaters seeking shelter from a small craft advisory.

Apparently safe harbor is only allowed to those with money to spend in MDR.

It's a real shame, we had friends and family nearby, but our boating experience has soured the whole trip to MDR including Ava's birthday. Imagine turning on your phone on to hear your boat is being towed away because your permission to moor at a dock (which you received from the harbormaster's office) was repealed under the grounds that the officer granting permission is "new and doesn't know the rules". You have one hour to move you vessel, time is ticking.

In short, there is a racket in Los Angeles County and visiting vessels may find themselves in the middle of it if they aren't careful.

Ava did a full write-up of the experience on our blog of you want more detail.

Heading south now! It looks like it's gonna be a long day to San Diego with fickle winds, but we are sailing! Thoughts of tacos help the wounds heal.

-p

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
MDR is where the "red tape" removal was really needed!

Well, it has been a rough week for us in MDR. Couldn't be happier to sail south. There is apparently heavy discrimination taking place by Los Angeles County against the anchoring liveaboards, and we found ourselves right in the middle of it. The experience nearly convinced us to want to stop cruising.

I mean no offense to Christian or the few Mariners left in that Marina, but we are still in shock. Not only were we victimized, but we overheard as the sheriffs department harassed local boaters seeking shelter from a small craft advisory.

Apparently safe harbor is only allowed to those with money to spend in MDR.

It's a real shame, we had friends and family nearby, but our boating experience has soured the whole trip to MDR including Ava's birthday. Imagine turning on your phone on to hear your boat is being towed away because your permission to moor at a dock (which you received from the harbormaster's office) was repealed under the grounds that the officer granting permission is "new and doesn't know the rules". You have one hour to move you vessel, time is ticking.

In short, there is a racket in Los Angeles County and visiting vessels may find themselves in the middle of it if they aren't careful.

Ava did a full write-up of the experience on our blog of you want more detail.

Heading south now! It looks like it's gonna be a long day to San Diego with fickle winds, but we are sailing! Thoughts of tacos help the wounds heal.

-p

Don Smith

Member II
Less animosity

If you ever have the misfortune to be in the area again, try King Harbor which is about 12 miles south of MDR, and about 1000 miles away in attitude.

Captain Don
Gitana, E26

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You have free anchorage in King Harbor?

For anyone interested, here's the policy for guest docks at MDR.

Burton W. Chace Park guest docks are public docks managed by the Los Angeles County Department of Beaches & Harbors.
These docks are available for use by vessels transiting the coast, those seeking refuge from inclement weather, or those laying in for minor repairs, replenishing supplies, or visiting. A portion of these docks — posted as “Park Dock, 4-hour maximum” — may also be used by locally based vessels under a casual visitor status.

Overnight and 4-hour guest docks are available for visitors on a first-come, first-served basis at Burton Chace Park, located along the Main Channel and Basin H. Boaters must register at the Park Office located in the center of the park. The Office is open daily 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. For more information and fees contact the Los Angeles County Department of Beaches and Harbors at (424) 526-7910.

FOUR-HOUR DOCKS
Casual visitors may use the docks with signs posted as “4-hour Dock” for up to 4 continuous hours within a 24-hour period. Vessels may secure in these 4-hour docks at any time (night or day) free of charge and without registering with the Park Office. The 24-hour period commences upon arrival. For example, if a vessel arrives at 4 p.m. on Monday, it may stay continuously until 8 p.m.; it cannot tie up again until 4 p.m. on Tuesday.

Casual visitors may not secure in the overnight portion of the docks, posted as “Overnight Guest Docks.”

OVERNIGHT GUEST DOCKS
Overnight boaters must register in the Park Office located in the center of the park. A valid photo I.D. and current boat registration are required. Space is available on a first-come, first-served basis. (424) 526-7910.

Length of Stay: Seven-day maximum stay within a 30-day period. This period commences upon arrival; for example, if a boater arrives on June 17, the boater can stay for up to 7 days (consecutively or sporadically) between the June 17 and July 16. Thereafter, the boater can commence a new 30-day period on the July 17 or any subsequent time. Check-out time is 12 p.m. on the last paid day. Extensions for up to 7 days within a 30-day period are possible but must be authorized by the Director of the Los Angeles County Department of Beaches and Harbors.

Fees: $1.15/ft. per night; minimum fee is $8. Slip fees must be paid at time of arrival. Cash and credit cards (Mastercard and Visa) are accepted.

After-Hours Registration: The Park Office is open daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. If you arrive after operating hours, you are expected to register the next morning and compensate for the night before.

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Pajo,

I read Ava's write-up last night. What a nightmare. Its curious that Cinderella was dragging anchor but they had to cut the anchor rode because the anchors were stuck?!

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Wow, sounds like a real eye opener in MDR.

You guys handled it in a way they didn't expect (insist on a report and drive to get it). Somewhere around Panama, you might see a check.

Fair winds and and safe travels!

p.gazibara

Member III
Wow, sounds like a real eye opener in MDR.

You guys handled it in a way they didn't expect (insist on a report and drive to get it). Somewhere around Panama, you might see a check.

Fair winds and and safe travels!

I hope we do! In the mean time, we pressed on. We left MDR ASAP and took advantage of light winds by stopping over in Catalina en route to San Diego.

Catalina was 100% a different experience. The harbormaster was friendly as could be and even offered to tow us to the open anchorage (we we're sailing in the light winds to preserve our motor bank). The island was unbelievable, water was warm enough to swim, lots of great hiking, and the dingy looked like it was floating! You could see it's shadow on the bottom!

Unfortunately, we had to leave Catalina too soon as the Baja was calling us. We finally made it to San Diego after 36 hrs under sail in super light winds. At least we got to dry out the spinnaker!

It looks like we are gonna let the Baja crowd leave without us and wait for wind. Hopefully we can catch them before they leave turtle bay. It leaves us a bit of time to square things away before leaving the US anyway.

I can't wait to see 15-20kts, again our Aries has been looking sad back there.

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Pajo,
It appears that the rally crowd is more inclined to keep a schedule by motoring than you and Ava. I think it’s wonderful that you two move at your own pace...which is exactly as it should be. Ericson owners are following your inspirational journey with great interest. Between the initial heavy weather, the calms, and the nightmare with “authorities” at MDR, I congratulate you on your determination and courage to continue your epic voyage.
Fair winds!
Mike Jacker