• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Need new windlass.

rudy

Member II
I have to replace my windlass on my 35 Ericson. Would like some feedback on which ones you have or have heard about that are reliable.

celtic sea

Member III
Hi, what model 35 do you have? I have a 1975 E35-2 and it doesn't have one installed(ever). Also no anchor roller. I'm currently looking at my options on installing a roller and windlass.(hopefully if funds permit!) Planning on traveling down ICW to FL. Oct. 2018 and this is one item on my list to follow up(as well as a rocna and some more chain. I'll be following the replies, need all the advice/help I can get.
Moving on board next couple weeks, rest of boat about ready to go. Yanmar 20F brand new so no worries there.
John
E35-2 #413
DIJAN

rudy

Member II
Hi, what model 35 do you have? I have a 1975 E35-2 and it doesn't have one installed(ever). Also no anchor roller. I'm currently looking at my options on installing a roller and windlass.(hopefully if funds permit!) Planning on traveling down ICW to FL. Oct. 2018 and this is one item on my list to follow up(as well as a rocna and some more chain. I'll be following the replies, need all the advice/help I can get.
Moving on board next couple weeks, rest of boat about ready to go. Yanmar 20F brand new so no worries there.
John
E35-2 #413
DIJAN

My boat is a 1983 35' Mark 111. The windlass brushes wore out and I couldn't find anyone to repair or replace them. The ongoing reply was "buy a new one" and unfortunately that is just what I have to do. An old sailor once told me to buy the darn thing before you strain your back and really need one. Just passing on his advice.

Have a great trip.
Rudy

celtic sea

Member III
Thank! Don't throw that old one out. I'm sure something can be done with those brushes! I do boat electric work part time, currently looking into getting certified with ABYC, get more involved.

John
E35-2
DIJAN

Last edited:

Glyn Judson

Motor brush replacement.

Rudy, Honestly my friend, this ain't rocket science. Determine the make and model number of your windlass, Google the manufacturer and order a set of new brushes, two sets while you're at it then you'll have a spare set The most time spent with the job might well end up be removal of the motor to more easily get to the brushes. They are super simple to install, you can do it! It sure beats the cost of buying a replacement that might not have the same footprint which could entail calling in a fiberglas repair man, electrician, etc. I repair tons of electrical motors on a regular basis and two of the most common of my repairs are repacking or purchasing new bearings and new brushes, easy peasy. Best of luck my friend, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

rudy

Member II
Windlass

Rudy, Honestly my friend, this ain't rocket science. Determine the make and model number of your windlass, Google the manufacturer and order a set of new brushes, two sets while you're at it then you'll have a spare set The most time spent with the job might well end up be removal of the motor to more easily get to the brushes. They are super simple to install, you can do it! It sure beats the cost of buying a replacement that might not have the same footprint which could entail calling in a fiberglas repair man, electrician, etc. I repair tons of electrical motors on a regular basis and two of the most common of my repairs are repacking or purchasing new bearings and new brushes, easy peasy. Best of luck my friend, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Thanks for your reply...Considering I purchased this windlass and installed it in the first place, I am pretty sure I have the know-how of its removal, which incidentally I have done twice. Considering the company that manufactured it no longer exists and no other suppliers have the same electrical motor or brushes for the motor, (and I Googled them all ), so now I'm thinking of getting some brushes and grinding them down to make them fit. I can't get "any" brushes locally so that is another drawback. I've repaired many motors in the past and have a pretty good knowledge of what goes where and what it does.