• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Maintenance of a Nibral Prop

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Took a look at the prop after haulout. I think it is the original Ericson prop: 15 RH 10 Nibral 2-blade.

I'm not sure what a Nibral prop is supposed to look like. Mine has a gray-ish layer (oxidation??) over the metal. There are a few areas with redish rust-like spots (I know there is no iron in it).

I started wire-brushing it down to see if I could get it back to bare metal (but then wondered if this is a good idea). Does nibral form a protective anti-corrosive surface like aluminum?

Should I leave it alone? Finish polishing it up? Get it down to base-metal and then paint with Petit 1792?

Thanks.

20170819_192101.jpg20170819_191826.jpg

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Reddishness in marine bronze is supposedly a sign of dezincification.

But I'm not sure what I'd suggest doing about a few flecks of red on an old prop. Do you need an excuse to replace it? Go ahead, use that. Do you not want to bother replacing it? There are probably fifty pieces of equipment on the boat that are more likely to be problematic.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Reddishness in marine bronze is supposedly a sign of dezincification.

But I'm not sure what I'd suggest doing about a few flecks of red on an old prop. Do you need an excuse to replace it? Go ahead, use that. Do you not want to bother replacing it? There are probably fifty pieces of equipment on the boat that are more likely to be problematic.

No, hadn't considered replacing it at all. Just wondered what the best treatment is before putting it back in the water........