• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

LifeSling on sale, today only

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/lifesling--lifesling2-overboard-rescue-system--357634

Thanks to a lead from a sailor on another large forum, I looked up this 'deal'. It seems pretty good.
Our LS cover is getting rather sun-damaged.
Seems to be Worth checking out.

Local sailors have had in-water practice every other year or so, and these are a just really good thing to have "at the ready" on any boat.
(That's my opinion, and I am unanimous in that!)
:)

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Thanks Lauren, that looks like a deal that's hard to pass up. For several years, I've been carrying an inexpensive "Plastimo" knock-off thereof, which turns out to not actually have USCG approval. Though I think it would work.

Maybe worth noting that the sling is not the complete system. One also needs a means of hoisting the POB, in the sling, back on-board. Many of us probably feel confident that we can hoist a soggy crew with one hand, if needed. But the premise of the Lifesling is that the large person might be the POB and a small person might need to do the recovery. It turns out that the mainsheet suspended at the end of the boom (my original plan) does not actually lift high enough to get a POB, hanging in a sling, over the rail. (It might do, on a larger boat.) A halyard, lead fair to a primary winch might do the job. But the official method is to attach a block and tackle to a halyard, hoist it ten feet up the mast, then hoist the POB with the block & tackle, maybe plus a winch. Lifesling sells such a tackle, but I have enough extra line on my 4:1 vang - and snap shackles on both ends - to quickly deploy for that purpose. And it's always right there. I knew there was some reason that I never got around to trimming that line... :rolleyes:
Anyhow, some kind of rigging that can hoist from the waterline to a body-length above the rail needs to be arranged, tested, and staged. If you don't have such rigging on deck, it might be worth adding the Lifesling tackle to your purchase. Probably useful for all sorts of other stuff, like dinghies, outboards, etc.

edit re: using the mainsheet and boom - also turned out that my topping lift is not up to the task. One would need to also run a halyard to support the end of the boom. It pays to work out these details in advance!

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Our LS cover is getting rather sun-damaged.

I bought a sunbrella cover for my Lifesling from SailBoatOwners.com, possibly the one pictured in their ads. A lot cheaper than replacing the whole device every few years when the case disintegrates. The original case fits inside the new one so you can preserve the pocket for the rope.