• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Electric Fuel Pump

daynardi

Member II
Does anyone know the specification for the original electric lift-pump that Ericson pared with the Universal M25XP engine? (GPH and pressure)?

Our boat is a 1985 E-32. I think that the original pump was made by Facet but I've lost track of its characteristics. The pump has been replaced at least 3 times over the years and may not match the original. The current pump is rated for 32GPH at 4-7 psi.

I'd like to buy a spare pump to carry with us and I'd like it to match the original specification.

Last edited:

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I just replaced the fuel pump on my M25XP with Facet solid state electric fuel pump, Part no. 476459E, $79.95 from Yacht Supply Depot. Works fine.

Electric Fuel Pump reply

I have an 1986 E38 with a 44 hp Universal Diesel, now replacing the electric fuel pump. From what I can deduce this engine should use about 2.5 gph at full throttle with no load, (yours should be less), I have asked Westerbeke for an guess on consumption (gph) for motoring my boat into a 2 to 3 foot sea (chop and swell; (usual conditions off Honolulu)), using a 3-blade folding prop and with a clean bottom. No answer yet but my guess is around 3 to 4 gph at 3/4 throttle. I'll try to post Westerbeke's guess, and hope other E38 owners will supply their experience on this.

It appears that any 12-volt (or 24 volt) electric pump that can supply 4 to 7 psi with at least 10 gph on-demand should work. (I am not sure if the "on demand" property is required, since the pump will only be operating when the engine is running (even if only idling) it should not malfunction from trying to supply too much).:rolleyes:

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
...this engine should use about 2.5 gph

I don't know anything about your boat or motor, but... that seems really high.

My 32-III averages around 0.4gph at hullspeed. I'd be really surprised if the E38 uses more than 1.0gph.

Bruce

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I just replaced the fuel pump on my M25XP with Facet solid state electric fuel pump, Part no. 476459E, $79.95 from Yacht Supply Depot. Works fine.

Herb bought the pump that came with our M-25XP from Ericson. I think he got a very good price.

From Facet-Purolator:

Part Number: 476459E
Kit Number:
Type: Gold-Flo
Volts: 12
Max/Min: 8.0 - 6.5
GPH: 32
Positive Lead:
Negative Lead:
Fuel Filter Fitting: 1/8 - 27 INT
Lift Min: 24"
Check Valve: N
Positive Shut Off Valve:
Internal Fuel Filter: 74U
Stainless Steel:

The pump's thru put and minimum pressure just need to be well above what the engine actually requires - it self regulates. These pumps are very reliable and last for many years. Mine is from 1987 and is still going strong. There is a filter in the bottom of the pump if you are not pre-filtering with a Racor.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
And I'll bet that in the majority of fuel pump replacements, the pump wasn't the problem.

The "spare" I used to carry was personal experience with that.

My 5432 ('84) has a mechanical fuel pump. So I carry a spare engine.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
The pump's thru put and minimum pressure just need to be well above what the engine actually requires - it self regulates.

adding to my already-long list of dumb questions... is there such a thing as "too much fuel pump"?

I've been in a little bit of analysis-paralysis about getting a spare, because I don't know for-sure what my current one is (model number not visible)

If it self-regulates, it seems like the one above for an M25XP might not be a bad default choice for an M25? Or is there more I need to know?

Bruce

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Bruce - If a pump works for the M-25XP it will work for an M-25. They are not that much different. Less than 10% in output power.

Keep in mind, the pump on the XP works when idling, that's not much fuel usage.

Navman

Member III
Fuel pump

The spec looks to be about right. I replaced mine with another Facet pump which I bought at NAPA. Was cheaper than through a chandlery.

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Floating this thread back up, as I happened to check my "spare" fuel pump today and found it was a chunk of rust.

I've looked at the thread above, and the spec for the Facet 476459E. But it appears that pump is a cylinder-format, and my current one is a "cube". Would kinda like to stick with similar - for no rational reason other than that it is what I currently have, and therefore (presumably) easy to swap in if I need to.

But I can't find a model number anywhere on the existing pump.

So.... interpolating the spec, above, with data on the Facet site, it looks like there are a number of "cube" models that seem viable

Model 40138: 32gph, min = 4.0, max = 7.0, min lift = 24"
Model 40147: 32gph, min = 4.5, max = 9.0, min lift = 24"
Model 40185: 32gph, min = 9.0, max = 11.5, min lift = 36"

Any guidance? recommendations? warnings?

Or... are there benefits to the cylindrical models that I should consider?

Thanks in advance...
Bruce

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Here are some notes I took when researching a new pump. I think this was on Mainsail's old PBase Marine website. At the bottom, he addresses cube vs round pumps. It sounds like the round pumps were the factory originals.

From MaineSail:

There are a number of fuel pumps that will replace the old Facet, now Facet-Purolator, roundstyle.
The Facet- Purolator pumps which will have some similar performance of the original Facet pump are the;

POSI-FLO Series - FEP-06SV / PRO-06SV,

CUBE Series - FEP-12SV / PRO-12SV,

Gold Flow Series - FEP-87SV / PRO-87SV.

You can buy many of these at: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/Facet_Fuel_Pumps

The Purolator cube models are very, very reliable. My 44 hp Westerbeke uses a PRO-42SV which runs $62.99 at the above link. Mine has over 3000 hours on it. The PRO-12SV (PUR-40106) which works well on M-25's etc. is only $43.99. The Gold Flow series is round like the original Universal/Facet pumps if that really matter to you.​

Last edited:

bolbmw

Member III
I used a cube [FONT=Roboto, RobotoDraft, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]40185 when I replaced mine. An annoying point of note is that the manual states that the pump should be mounted at an angle for optimum performance. I followed that instruction and it makes hose routing slightly annoying. Then I remembered they use these pumps on airplanes and that the angle probably didn't matter.[/FONT]