• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Max Outboard size for Ericson 27

Mympyl

Hi,

We are new owners of a 1972 Ericson 27. We bought the boat with an older model 9.9HP Honda 4-stroke, which needs to be replaced. What is the max 4-stroke that we could buy and any suggestions on brand and HP would be GREATLY appreciated

Natalie :)

Natalie...
I have a 27 with an outboard. I use a Tohatsu 18. The engines in that range don't get heavier, because the increase in hp comes from a difference in carburetors. My advice is to get the next size up in the four-stroke series by Honda. That's probably about a 12. But make sure that you are not adding weight when you are adding 33% more horsepower. However, there is no substitute for brute strength when you need it, powering against a foul current and strong winds. Four stroke motors are quiet and powerful. When I change over, I'll get one. I assume that your engine sits in the cutout in the stern. If not, then a smaller engine may be in order.
Morgan Stinemetz

Nigel Barron

Notorious Iconoclast
I agree to some extent with Morgan, but also think you should factor in where you are as to what size outboard to get. In the Puget Sound, I have a Honda 8 on my Ericson 27, and have no problems with that, even in some sea state. In the bay, you might want a little more...

bigtyme805

Member III
I have a 10hp Honda and I have spoken to my Honda mechanic several times about changing my motor because it is 15 years old. He says go with a 15 hp Honda, no added weight from the 9.9 and you get the same motor. The only difference is the carb. My 10hp seems to push my E27 pretty good. I sail on the Pacific and have never needed more horsepower, hopefully I never will. I have a cutout on the transom like Morgan does and you might want to measure the size of the cowl because the one thing I did notice is that Honda's new motors have a larger cowl. Just for your info, go with Honda they are quiet and reliable. I keep on saying I am going with a new motor but that old Honda keeps on chugging.

Don
E27 Amigo
Channel Islands

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thrust (!) is what is needed...

Note that, with a displacement hull, you want low-end torque rather than more rpm. Honda, AFAIK, is selling their engines with a flatter-pitch 4-blade prop for your type of use. This works, but is not optimal.
Yamaha, OTOH, goes to the trouble to put a different gear ratio on the lower end. I used to have one of their "Hi Thrust" outboards on my prior 4000# 26 footer. It had a 3 to 1 reduction gear. Simply amazing power.
:)
Check out the Hi Thrust Yamaha 8 and 10... they are not made for planing hulls. Nowadays, they have power tilt, as well.

On our work boat, our club replaced an older 60 hp two stroke OB with a new Yamaha Hi Thrust 25 last year and all the doubters have changed their minds... it only goes 10 kts, but we move a 10K # dredge with it, easily.

I have no connection with any OB company or dealer, but would suggest you do some comparing of these engines for your particular use.

Best,
Loren in PDX
:egrin:

bigtyme805

Member III
Loren has a good point about Yamaha. I have also heard good things about them. Just make sure it's a 4 stroke because the noise difference is enormous.

Don :egrin:

rssailor

Yamaha

I have an older Yamaha 9.9 high thrust on my ericson 25+ and it is great. Have tried a Honda 15 with the new four bladed propellor and it only could push the boat .3 to .45 knots faster than the Yamaha. The Honda can not match the Yamaha in close quarter manuvering with the huge three bladed prop and the capability to kick the exhaust out the back in reverse, Yamaha is king. The fifteen can be gotten with the high thrust prop as an option and would be my next choice. The Yamaha is in the shop getting the oil pump replaced after several thousand hours of heavy use between the last rebuild. Yamaha motor is heavy, but much bang for the buck with a bigger alternator than the Honda as well. Good luck with your choice. Ryan

Nick Reynolds

Member II
Outboard for E27

I recently purchased a 9.9 Honda, only has about 5 hours on it so far.

I had talked to Nigel, and was going to go with the 8hp, but they weighed the same, so I got the larger one.

The only reason am commenting is that I have the unique experience of comparing the Yamaha 9.9. I sailed the Oregon Offshore (from Astoria to Victoria), and didn't want to do it with my old 2 stroke mercury. It is a good motor, but the boat maxed out at about 5 knots. I borrowed the 9.9 Yamaha from one of my crew, and used it for about two weeks.

The Yamaha and the Honda perform comparably. Either would get the boat up to about 8 kts. (Please keep in mind that I have little confidence in the absolute speed registered, but the relative performance should be reliable).

I never did find a dealer for the Yamaha in my area, so bought the Honda. (Think about spending the extra $40 for an hour meter/tach so you can watch the maintenance more closely. This is a big investment.) I think in terms of performance that the Yamaha did perform slightly better at slower speeds. If I had the choice of doing either one, I would probably choose the Yamaha if price and weight were the same. Be sure you are comparing apples to apples, there are a lot of versions of these motors. I spent the big bucks and got the long shaft, high output motor. I looked pretty closely at the Mercury. It might be a better long term investment. It had cylinder displacement about twice that of the Honda. Unfortunately, it weighed about 20 pounds more than the Honda. Our boats are so sensitive to weight in the stern that I didn't think that was acceptable. Not only that, but I can lift and place the 111 lbs of the Honda, I don't think I could have done that for the Mercury.

If a higher horsepower engine was no more expensive, and no more weight, I would go ahead. But with this engine cranked all the way up, the boat is in a big hole, and I doubt it would go much faster with more hp.

That's my opinion on it. I hope it was worth what you paid for it! :)

Attachments

• Outboard.jpg
    Outboard.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,480

Barry Lindia

outboard motor hp

:egrin: When I purchased my E-23 it had a Evinrude 9.9 2 stroke. It was stolen in the boat yard and I replaced it with a newer Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke. This motor powers my boat much better and is obviously much quieter than the 2 stroke. I go back and forth from Narragansett Bay to Buzzards Bay a 50 nm trek. When I just want to get there this motor preforms well in the 4 to 5 ft swells we can get. When I race I am at a disadvantage due to the added weight. I have removed the motor for racing but this is just a pain in the neck. Is there a lighter motor that will also give me the umph I need when I just want to power up and go?

rssailor

Try a smaller unit

Barry,
Look into Yamaha's high thrust eight horespower motor. That would help you reduce weight and still be able to have lots of horsepower. Ryan

Since a previous post on this theme I have sold my Tohatsu and bought a Honda 9.9 4-stroke with long shaft. The noise level is WAY down and the engine has enough spunk to keep me going in most conditions. The Honda weighs more than the Tohatsu did, but going for a lighter weight model seems like asking too much of your skills and your boat. When things go to hell, as they do occasionally, having the oooomph to keep your boint going is important. The weight factor of a Honda 9.9 is offset by the fact that I carry less fuel (36 pounds less) and by arranging the weight in the boat a little more assiduously I find that the boat is just as competitive in racing as it ever was. In our last race, I gave up about six minutes by making a mistake on marks and still finished second. The point is, on an E-27 having a lighter engine is not in one's best interest if you have to trade off horsepower for less weight.
Morgan Stinemetz

bigtyme805

Member III
Hi Morgan (Bubba):

I am sure you are glad you went with the 9.9, same engine I have and I am very happy with mine. I could not have summed it up better. This engine has plenty of power for this model of boat. I don't think I would ever go with anything different. I have the 25' shaft and have never had my prop come out of the water. I would recommend this engine to anyone.

Every time I start up the Honda 9.9 with the 25-inch shaft I am glad I got it. The Tohatsu has been sold and the noise is gone for good. You must read Latitudes & Attitudes. Bubba's episodes come out in a magazine back here in the East first. I'll tell you this, you write what you know about.
Morgan