• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cracked valve cover on Atomic M25 on my E33rh

Camelot

After a pleasant half season with my new (to me) E-33 the valve cover has cracked where the (original) alternator bracket bolts to it & now leaks oil. I was aware of the new bracket upgrade but thought I could skate threw the season with it and do the retro in the fall as the engine only had 600 hrs. on it. Does anyone have any advice about fixing the crack, even temporarily, has anyone tried JB weld on it then done the new bracket ? or perhaps taken it off & had it welded (heliarched I guess) ?? Thanks for any info, Bob E-33 #23:esad:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Are you referring to the gear case on the front of the engine, or the valve cover on top of the engine?

Camelot

gear case

Hi Ken, yes I was referring to the gear case on the front of the motor. Thee "ear came completely off when I removed the alternator. I'm thinking to JB weld it for the remainder of the season then remove it & get it welded this fall. Another problem now is that the studs don't want to come out of the exchange so that I can put in the longer one's required for the bracket upgrade. Thanks in advance for any advice, Bob

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
A couple of references you'll want:

For the alternator bracket replacement:

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/universal_alternator_bracket
- the definitive source for the alternator bracket repair (the link should read /universal_alternator_bracket)

Also, maybe take a look at my blog of my experience doing the replacement: http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?539-Alternator-Bracket-Replacement-Exhaust-Riser-Rebuild-and-More

For the gearcase repair/replacement:

http://realitycheck.me/docs/servicebulletins/sb_193 DC alternator mounting.pdf
-- The original service bulletin from the mfg. Tells what parts you'll need to do a heliarc repair or a full gear case replacement. I don't know anything about JB Weld, but it seems I read of someone else who tried it. Don't know what their results were.

I had to do the alternator bracket mod after I bought my boat last year. Luckily, my gearcase survived until I changed things out this winter. All the writeups I read said that the gearcase is a part that is no longer available. While I believe this is true for the marine parts people, I did check with Kubota out of curiosity while I was looking for other parts. I was able to find a Kubota gearcase for $555 (part #19264-04020) that my local dealer said they could special order from Japan. The problem with Kubota parts is that there is no direct cross reference for part numbers between the marine engines and the tractor engines. You'd have to do your homework to make sure you got the right part (if it is still available). If so, it's a tough call..... it will be a lot of labor to pull the old gearcase whether you decide to repair or replace. Hard to know whether to roll the dice with a repair or spring for a new $500 part.

Too bad about your gearcase. Best of luck.

Ken

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
If you can find a welder that welds transmission cases or aluminum cylinder heads they could probably do the weld repair and heat treat it properly. You might check the local racing and performance shops for references if you go that route. Good luck.

Camelot

Thank you Ken,
Your information was quite helpful. I managed to get 3 of the 4 manifold studs out & replaced with the longer ones and have installed the new bracket. I'm hoping to get the remainder of the season out of her with 3 out of 4 bolts & a good coating of JB Weld over the fractured gear case. Hopefully as the casing "ear" is no longer loaded by the alternator she should make it through a couple of months of light running under 1500 rpms then I can pull her down properly on the hard. Have a good season & thanks, Bob