• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

What finish did factory use on inside teak...1987

Doug177

Member III
It is completely matte and smooth. Absolutely no brush strokes are visible and there does not even seem to be a finish. It is beautiful. I need to match it in the one to two places where it is worn.

flicka-inside-teak.jpg

Doug

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Our '88 factory teak has/had the factory oil finish. (Note that some EY boats do have the optional factory varnish upgrade on the interior.)
Having stripped and varnished most of our interior teak, it appears that the builder used a light cherry stain to "blend" the various colors of veneer and solid trim together. Evidently this was considered a better look for their customers at that time. This darkens it, though, and we have long believed that a lighter look is better... purely subjective...

We much prefer a more natural "golden" look... if you look at the pix in my blog of our interior re-finishing, you can see some areas pre- and post-op.
:rolleyes:

Perhaps some of the owners with wood finishing expertise can ID the actual oil stain, if you want it tone original. Remember that your old finish will have changed - probably lightened - due to to light over the years, too. Further, if it has accumulated dirt in the oiled surface, it will be darker.

Oh well, if yacht ownership were simple/easy, they'd let *anyone* own one!
:)

Loren

ps: edit: add link with a picture of one of our doors, showing the varnished door beside the bulkhead with its original dingy oil surface. That bulkhead was later refinished.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?100-Vent-Method-for-Cabin-Doors

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Loren is right that time and sunlight changes the colour a bit. I have had good results repairing minor blemishes on our boat using Varathane teak #611 gel stain. It goes on easily, rub gently with a cloth, and if necessary, add a coat of Minwax Helmsman satin varnish.
Frank

Doug177

Member III
Factory Oil Finish Loren? Would be interesting to hear from those in the know.....

So an oil finish (probably sprayed on) was what the factory used. Teak Oils are usually Tung / Linseed oil / Mineral Spirits combos.

I looked at your re-finishing job Loren. That was a lot of hard work. Looks really nice though.

Doug

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Loren is right that time and sunlight changes the colour a bit. I have had good results repairing minor blemishes on our boat using Varathane teak #611 gel stain. It goes on easily, rub gently with a cloth, and if necessary, add a coat of Minwax Helmsman satin varnish.
Frank

I couldn't find anything on the Varathane stain so I wrote to the mfgr.

Their response:

Good morning Tom,
Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.

We appreciate your interest in our products. The Varathane Gel Stain 611 Teak has been discontinued for many years now. We do not have a gel stain or a regular stain that would match up to it at this point.
If you have any additional questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us.

Frank - You are getting old... not unlike the rest of us.
:0

Doug177

Member III
I will e-mail the family at Richards, perhaps they provided other products to Ericson

Yep...we are all aging gracefully just like our boats.