• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

easily confused

Thaddeus

Member II
Hi All ,
Great site and first time here.
After a lengthy search including Tartan, cals, Sabres, Frers etc.....we have put an offer on an 1987 E34 sloop. Tall rig, 6' fin
What model is it? Is that a model? No wonder they went out of business. I am not the first to ask this question but could not find a thread lead.
Can someone please enlighten me on this particular boat. The phrf ratings jump all over.
Serial number 34245E787
Thank You,
Thaddeus...not my real name

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Welcome aboard

There is a listing with Hull No.s and names posted. Give us a few minutes and someone will report.

MJS

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hi All ,
Great site and first time here.
After a lengthy search including Tartan, cals, Sabres, Frers etc.....we have put an offer on an 1987 E34 sloop. Tall rig, 6' fin
What model is it? Is that a model? No wonder they went out of business. I am not the first to ask this question but could not find a thread lead.
Can someone please enlighten me on this particular boat. The phrf ratings jump all over.
Serial number 34245E787
Thank You,
Thaddeus...not my real name
Actually you have ID'd it pretty well.
It's an Ericson Yachts Ericson 34, tall rig, deep draft. Good all around performer. To weather it's about as fast as our O-34. Nice interior layout and headroom, too.

As for handicap numbers, check one of the larger phrf sites. Look at the rating # for an Ericson 35-3, also. About the same hull and rig; similar speed.

I believe that you will find that like the other iterations of that hull in the 80's, by Bruce King, it has a comfortable motion in a seaway and good speed upwind and down. Mr. King has a deft touch with hull forms - better than most other production boat designers in that era (or now, for that matter), but then I might be biased.
:)

Does your new love have the original Universal M25 model diesel? Likely 21 hp, and is well regarded.

Anyhow, have fun exploring the site, and welcome.
:egrin:

Loren

Last edited:

supersailor

Contributing Partner
The 87 34 is a 34-2. It is very different than the 34-T and 34-X that were earlier IOR style hulls. When Pacific Seacraft started building the 34 I believe in 91 it was redesignated the 34-200. It is the same hull and rig with some differences below decks. The 35-3 is basically the same hull with a different interior arrangement and a sharper rake on the transom. The both rate the same.

The base rating is 126. That's in full racing trim and a folding prop. Mine rates 135 with a 130 and two symmetrical spinnakers and a fixed 2 blade prop. These boats are somewhat unusual in that they pretty well sail to their rating in all conditions. They are just great sailing boats.

Last edited:

Thaddeus

Member II
Hi
Thank both of you for the information you provided. It reallycleared up a bit of confusion and helped me make a decision. You shall be hearing more from me seeing that the seller accepted my offer to buy.
Off on a new adventure.
Best to all,
Thaddeus