• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Is all G4 chain created equal?

billie williams

Member II
Hi everybody,

I need to replace my anchor chain. The current rusty mess was proof coil and I don't want to use that again. I have found that 5/16 G4 will fit the wildcat. But the vendor from whom I borrowed the chain sample is quite expensive so I'd like to order the chain from Defender.

Can I assume that all G4 chain will conform to the measurements that I have found on this chain? Or would it be safer to order a 3' piece from Defender just to make sure?

Thanks for your input.

Billie

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
1. Are you sure about the chain sizing? Most gypsies accept either BBB/"proof coil" OR G4/"high test." But not both. The length of the links is slightly different. The manual for your windlass should say.
2. Have you asked around at local chandleries? The cost of freight shipping across the country from Defender will wipe out their attractive pricing. I got a quote from a local place that works out considerably better than that. Also, once in a while WM will put chain on clearance, but it's never the size that I can use.

billie williams

Member II
Yes, I'm sure it's okay. I don't have a manual for this old S&L windlass, but the wildcat is stamped 160 which I have looked up. I need a 12 links/foot. The link thickness can vary a bit.
Looking at the specs for chain, I found that either 5/16" G4 or 3/8 BBB would work and the latter just sounds too heavy for my 30+ (and for me).

I tried a length of G4 from the local vendor - and it fit the wildcat with no issues.

As you have suggested, I'll make sure that the shipping doesn't kill the Defender deal...and I'll ask the local vendor if he can do better.

Thanks for your help!