• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

valve cover gasket sealant?

redbeard1

Member II
Hello all,

We are going to try and check our valves on our volvo penta 2003B. In prepping for this, we purchased a new gasket.

Do I need to add a sealant to the gasket?

Our workshop manual mentions RTV (loctite, and permatex) in the General Instruction Section as being good for gaskets. The manual,however, does not mention using any of these sealants when specifically discussing the valve cover gasket replacement. It just says to install a new gasket.

Thanks in advance.

Baslin

Member III
Is the gasket a rubber formed gasket?? If so, then no silicone is needed....If it is a paper flat gasket, then a SMALL bead of silicone can be used. I like to spread it even on both sides of the gasket with my finger and smear it smooth and even. Remember that whatever squeezes out on the outside of the valve cover, usually means the same amount on the inside. Doesn't take much to get a good seal. I also like to wait 12-24 hours for the silicone to dry before starting the engine.

Baslin

Member III
Thanks Baslin,

It is a rubber gasket so we will not use sealant.

clean the gasket surface on the cylinder head real well with a clean rag or paper towel with brake clean. Make sure it's free from debris and grease/oil. There may be a torque spec and tightening sequence in your service manual. If there is no sequence, just start on the inside bolts and work your way out in a circular nation. That way the gasket and valve cover go down even and create a nice seal.