• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Holding tank replacement 1980 E38

our38

Member II
Does any tips, suggestions, or any other useful information regarding replacement of the holding tank?

Any information is much appreciated.

thanks

Glyn Judson

Holding tank replacement.

John, That's an easy one, contact Ronco Plastics down the road from you in SoCal at 714.259.1385 or go to their web site: ronco-plastics.com. Measure your tank and compare those numbers to the many different sizes they make and you'll find the exact tank you need. You see, they were the OEM tank maker for Ericson way back when and are still alive and well. I did the same a few years ago and it was literally a remove and replace exercise. Send them an isometric drawing of your tank with the proper sized fittings where you want them and you'll get the same remove/replace tank. Their tanks today have a wall thickness twice that or the originals which was the reason in the first place that I got a replacement, the old one developed a crack at the lower fitting to the tank edge. If my memory still serves me well, I believe that the tank model number is molded into the top so that might help.I asked that they add a 3"(?) threaded cap on the top which would allow me to scour the insides with a garden hose if I so choose. Never have had to but at least it's there. Order yours today! Best luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

our38

Member II
Has anyone replaced their holding tank with a Raritan waste system and smaller tank/bladder possibly?

any recommendations (for or against) for doing this?

Just a thought, since this will be torn out. It's going to be an extraordinary pain to remove, and I really don't ever want to have to do this again.

Again, thanks

our38

Member II
For anyone that has an 1980 E38 with original holding tank, you know what I'm talking about .
Although this is the original holding tank, the original owners never plumbed it
So I'm a bit disappointed that a weld may have developed a small crack after only five years, since I purchased the boat and plumbed it

Perhaps I should have looked up that manufacturer then

p.gazibara

Member III
As far as holding tanks go, I learned a considerable amount... AFTER I installed mine.

The ideal situation would have a tank mounted above the waterline and the toilet discharge send the waste up to it. From the bottom of the tank, you have a valve plumbed for both overboard discharge and a pumpout port. This will allow the tank to be opened when 3 miles offshore and drained if needed. It will also remove hand pumps and multiple valves.

Another and possibly the most important item would be to install vents on BOTH sides of the tank. Waste that is well oxygenated allow aerobic bacteria to do what they do as opposed to their anaerobic brethren, which smell much worse.

Remember to add airlocks well above the waterline for the vents so you don't run into the issue I did. When pushing the boat hard to windward, the vent located just below the toe rail dips just below the waterline here and there, and after an hour or so of sailing I find myself with a full holding tank.

In most E boats, mounting a tank high is not a possibility, so the most important thing you can do while you are at it is to add more/better ventilation. If it were me, I'd make the vents at least 3/4" and have two, one to starboard and one to port. Other than that RONCO is great, politely ask if they have any discounts going. I got my tanks for 50% off website pricing.

I believe one of the members here in the PNW went so far as to add an oxygenator to the tank. From what I heard, he was very pleased with the lack of odor.

-P

p.gazibara

Member III
I should also add, if you are considering the raritan system, consider going with a hard replacement tank and one of the new Dometic Masterflush electric flush toilets. I was told the macerator which is part of the toilet is better than what is currently being sold and the system is very simple to plumb.

The toilets are really pricey, but flushing with simply depressing a button is something Ava and I rarely complain about. I think the only complaint we have is that it doesn't have a bidet built in...

We have had ours for a year and a half as liveaboards and have not had any issues.

-P

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Not an E38, but I did replace mine with a Vetus 14.5 gallon bladder tank in a V-berth locker. It's been going strong for five years, but I rarely actually use it. One of the advantages of the bladder is that when it is not in use, that compartment can be used as storage. e.g. For cruising gear not needed while day sailing. (Vent the locker!) The head drains directly to the bladder and the bladder can be pumped out or discharged overboard through a macerator, both of which empty it completely. I always rinse it with fresh water after emptying, either by pumping water from the head or a hose at the pump out dock.

I did not believe that the rectangular Ronco tank that came with the boat was original - a crude hole had been sawzalled into the V-berth to get it in there diagonally, and the corner stuck out. Half of the space in the locker was wasted and it was not actually possible to fully drain the tank. Except... at least one other member on here reported the exact same list of crude modifications (there were more!) on another boat in the area. Possibly done by a dealer?

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
" a crude hole had been sawzalled into the V-berth to get it in there diagonally, and the corner stuck out. Half of the space in the locker was wasted and it was not actually possible to fully drain the tank. Except... at least one other member on here reported the exact same list of crude modifications (there were more!) on another boat in the area. Possibly done by a dealer?"

I believe the factory did the sawzall work on my 1987 E32-III:

2017-04-22_17-56-37_108.jpg

I was surprised to find this hole when replacing my hoses. Picture taken during test fitting.