• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 30+ Maintenance and Upgrading

tclark2253

Member I
Hello, Few questions.

I just purchased an E30+ in Pensacola in March. I have sailed it to New Orleans, back to Pensacola and now back to New Orleans where I will be keeping it till longer excursions. Any advice would be great.

Does anyone know where to order or how to get new E30+ windows?
Can the stuffing box and packing be replaced on an E30+ when in the water?
What is best way to rig an asymmetrical spinnaker tack on the E30+ bow?
Anyway to rig bimini on E30 +?
What is a good Marine shower head that will fit?

Thank You
Tommy

paul culver

Member III
For port lights you can google Bomon in Canada (not Bomar). They make replacements according to a template you provide them. I've never found any ready-mades that duplicate the Ericson originals.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Ericson 30+ Owner

Hi Tommy, Welcome to the Ericson 30+ owners club.

For hatches, I sent mine to SelectPlastics for refurbishing. new lens, gaskets and hinges. Replacing the big salon hatch with a new model was VERY expensive so I did tghe refurbish.

The ports (windows) I removed and using links on this site, bought a kit. I completely disassembled the port down to the glass and re-assembled.
Note: DON'T drop the glass... This is from experience. I went to a local glass shop that replaced the glass and re-assembled the unit.

The worst part of the job was removing the ports... there are lots of stories of Ericson owners using sharp utensils to literally cut away at 3M 5200... nasty stuff.

If you want someone to walk you through the process, drop me a private line and we'll do it together but I also suggest doing a search for ports on this site for lots of information.

MJS

tclark2253

Member I
Thank you MJS, I will probably take you up on that shortly. Thank you for reponding

I will probably take you up on that shortly. Thank you for responding

Hi Tommy, Welcome to the Ericson 30+ owners club.

For hatches, I sent mine to SelectPlastics for refurbishing. new lens, gaskets and hinges. Replacing the big salon hatch with a new model was VERY expensive so I did tghe refurbish.

The ports (windows) I removed and using links on this site, bought a kit. I completely disassembled the port down to the glass and re-assembled.
Note: DON'T drop the glass... This is from experience. I went to a local glass shop that replaced the glass and re-assembled the unit.

The worst part of the job was removing the ports... there are lots of stories of Ericson owners using sharp utensils to literally cut away at 3M 5200... nasty stuff.

If you want someone to walk you through the process, drop me a private line and we'll do it together but I also suggest doing a search for ports on this site for lots of information.

MJS

cooper999

Member II
Hey Tommy,

Congrats on the purchase. Answers to your queries:

There's never a shortage of projects on our 30+, but I have yet to address hatch replacement. I did, however, buy a kit from Catalina Direct to rebed the dead port lights https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1055_466/aluminum-window-reseal-kit-c-25-c-27.cfm.

The stuffing box can be repacked while the boat is in the water. I had a mechanic do this for us as a relative newbie I was intimidated to try to do it myself.

We have a bowsprit mounted for our asymmetrical spinnaker tack (see photo), which we inherited from the previous owner. See attached photo.

There is such little clearance between the aft end of the boom and the back of the cockpit that we didn't think that a bimini made much sense, but others here have rigged one on their boat (there's another thread on this).

We have a shower hose mounted to our sink in the head, but haven't used it. I can hardly fit in the head as a six footer anyway:).

Hope this helps!

IMG_0089.jpg

Hello, Few questions.

I just purchased an E30+ in Pensacola in March. I have sailed it to New Orleans, back to Pensacola and now back to New Orleans where I will be keeping it till longer excursions. Any advice would be great.

Does anyone know where to order or how to get new E30+ windows?
Can the stuffing box and packing be replaced on an E30+ when in the water?
What is best way to rig an asymmetrical spinnaker tack on the E30+ bow?
Anyway to rig bimini on E30 +?
What is a good Marine shower head that will fit?

Thank You
Tommy

Last edited:

tclark2253

Member I
Thank you Cooper999

That bowsprit looks perfect. I intend to mount mine exactly the same way. Thank you for the feedback.

Hey Tommy,

Congrats on the purchase. Answers to your queries:

There's never a shortage of projects on our 30+, but I have yet to address hatch replacement. I did, however, buy a kit from Catalina Direct to rebed the dead port lights https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/1055_466/aluminum-window-reseal-kit-c-25-c-27.cfm.

The stuffing box can be repacked while the boat is in the water. I had a mechanic do this for us as a relative newbie I was intimidated to try to do it myself.

We have a bowsprit mounted for our asymmetrical spinnaker tack (see photo), which we inherited from the previous owner. See attached photo.

There is such little clearance between the aft end of the boom and the back of the cockpit that we didn't think that a bimini made much sense, but others here have rigged one on their boat (there's another thread on this).

We have a shower hose mounted to our sink in the head, but haven't used it. I can hardly fit in the head as a six footer anyway:).

Hope this helps!

View attachment 22503

tclark2253

Member I
Progress

I ended up hauling out to replace coupling along with packing gland. I needed to cut and pull shaft (which was a first for me), but ended up working out nicely. I suppose I could have worked at it with a grinder for a while, however I was almost due for a new bottom job and I really have been wanting to compound/wax hull since I bought the boat in the spring. Its gotta look good. Here are some pictures of the before and after of coupling, packing gland, and etc..

Back in water now.

I did end up going with the Catalina Direct kit @cooper999. It worked great and then I buffed the aluminum edging of the port lights.

Haven't gotten to bowsprit yet. Just attached a snatch block to anchor ring for time being.

I Replaced bilge pump, most of plumbing, basic engine maintenance, repaired Raymarine auto pilot, new 110 Jib, a lot of running rigging/hardware, re bed, waste/water/fuel, remounted keel early sping 2017 (major, but successful)

I would like to address weak floors in interior (perhaps use the resin and method of Mr Christian Williams in one of his videos I saw), and maybe refurbish hatch lens somehow, etc...

New bottom job,compund,wax.jpgNew Stuffing Box.jpgOld Stuffing Box.jpg

cooper999

Member II
Good call on the coupling replacement from the looks of things. Sounds like you're well on your way to getting her in great shape!

I ended up hauling out to replace coupling along with packing gland. I needed to cut and pull shaft (which was a first for me), but ended up working out nicely. I suppose I could have worked at it with a grinder for a while, however I was almost due for a new bottom job and I really have been wanting to compound/wax hull since I bought the boat in the spring. Its gotta look good. Here are some pictures of the before and after of coupling, packing gland, and etc..

Back in water now.

I did end up going with the Catalina Direct kit @cooper999. It worked great and then I buffed the aluminum edging of the port lights.

Haven't gotten to bowsprit yet. Just attached a snatch block to anchor ring for time being.

I Replaced bilge pump, most of plumbing, basic engine maintenance, repaired Raymarine auto pilot, new 110 Jib, a lot of running rigging/hardware, re bed, waste/water/fuel, remounted keel early sping 2017 (major, but successful)

I would like to address weak floors in interior (perhaps use the resin and method of Mr Christian Williams in one of his videos I saw), and maybe refurbish hatch lens somehow, etc...

View attachment 22541View attachment 22542View attachment 22543