• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

noticed on CL: Ericson parting out

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
In case anybody is looking for ports, parts, etc near PDX.... might be an opportunity. I'm tempted to go look myself.
https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/6203377895.html
Ad says it's a 33 but looks more like a 35 to me? Appears to have burned. Anybody know the story?

00z0z_a2D3Om9ojUh_1200x900.jpg

crispycritter.jpg

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One less Ericson

Looks just like the boat that caught fire @ the fuel dock a short time ago, next to the entrance to our club (RCYC). The fire was confined to the cockpit area and the flames were really visible for a short while. The occupants were able to put an anchor over, and it was parked for a number of hours after the local fire boat put flames out and took the occupants off.
The sheriff river patrol and a separate USCG boat were standing by for quite a while, too.

At one time there must have been 4 pieces of fire fighting apparatus parked on NE Marine Drive, just west of our gate. They were concerned that it might drift into some of the covered moorages just downstream from us and catch other boats on fire.
When it was towed away a day later I was wondering where it went.

Pure Speculation: it is a gas engine boat and they had just filled up. When the fire erupted, there was no vapor room in the (full?) tank to cause an explosion, and the fire was shooting up from the fill. That would explain the damage to the cockpit and boom/sail. Just a guess, however.

Whoever wrote that CL ad probably acquired the wreck for a dollar, which explains the misspellings.

Mast was not directly in the flames, so that would be salvageable, IMHO. Boom did get a lot of fire and heat. Several of us were guessing that it was an E-35-2, from a low rez picture seen on the tv news.

It's sad to see, but the occupants were rescued anyway.

I know several craftsmen that could rebuild it like new, but then you'd be $60K (plus) into a $20K (max retail) boat. Parting it out makes the most economic sense.

Situation could have been a lot worse..... just off that same dock, a few years ago, a gas-powered cabin cruiser exploded violently and sank, in pieces. Not completely the 'fault' of the type of fuel -- just really poor maintenance of the fuel system (tank inlet hose was not connected well to the deck fill fitting and they inadvertently pumped many gallons into the bilge..... and then hit the Start button for both V8's.) :0

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
That would make sense... looks like the companionway area is fully roasted, but if the fire were below deck, I don't see how they could have confined it to that area.

It looks like a boat that has been languishing on craigslist for a couple of years - I wonder if it was first-day owners?

Still flying the flag on the backstay! But I can't make it out. Guatemala? Liberia? Hmm... not sure if that's a blue stripe or charcoal.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Ad just came up again - pick the carcass clean, including roasted Perkins, for $1000. Eh, I don't seem to be feeling the ambition right now... Might be different if I needed the furler.

"This 33 ft Erickson had a fire that started in the engine which is essentially in the cabin so interior is gone. We will be cutting this boat up and putting in a dumpster in September. We are offering everything you want from the boat except the keel which is lead and we will sell for scrap. This includes the mast, rigging furler, winches, chain plates, anchor plate, etc- even the old toasted Perkins if you want. We will remove mast, then cut off keel and lay on ground for you to remove what you want. Not interested in selling individual parts- not worth our time. It is all or nothing."