• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Pricing on various generations of Ericson yachts

econner

I'm looking to buy a first boat. I've sailed several Ericsons and like them. So, this is more a question of how Ericsons hold value over the years and the differences between the generations of Ericsons. I've been looking at prices for various models and have found a pretty stark difference between the Mark 2 boats and the Mark 3 boats (in the range of 32' - 35').

For the most part I'm finding that the Mark 2 boats are listed for $15,000 or under while the Mark 3 are consistently $30,000+. I understand that all boats are different and 30 - 40 years is a long run of maintenance. But, I'm surprised to see the market so consistently different on boats that may be only 6 years different in age. What, for the Mark 3, contributes to this difference? Did the Mark 2 have problems?

I suppose I'm just trying to understand the market forces that drive the prices of these boats over time and that may be a longer discussion.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
I'll take a stab at this...

We owned a 1975 E32-2, and currently own a E35-3. Both are great boats. However, Ericson exaggerated the lengths of many of their 70's boats, and the 80's boats are just plain wider too, resulting in noticeably larger cabins. Also, many of the 70's boats have Atomic4 engines. There is nothing wrong with a well maintained A4, but the diesels just demand more $$$. And the overall design of the 80's boats are more "modern" (they were entirely new designs, not a re-hash of the old ones), with more efficient foil shapes, deeper rudders, a "tria-axial grid" to stiffen the hull, and usually self-tailing winches.

With the above said, each boat is different, and needs to be evaluated individually.

Happy shopping!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Many of the older models have not been upgraded with electronics and latest technology, but newer boats (even older newer ones :)) have added autopilot, fancy gps, water heaters, refrigeration, showers, sound systems, etc. Also, newer boats will have less wear due to age, and being in better shape, might get more care and attention from owners to keep them that way.

A key factor is the kind of maintenance the boat has had, including fixes and upgrades, as well as sail condition and engine hours; diesel of course will fetch a higher price.

Mainly it pays to shop around, take time to check lots of boats and different models, and then wait for an estate sale, selling for health reasons or divorce, or similar incentives to move the boat quickly, which often makes for a good deal.

It is usually better to pay a bit more for a boat in really good condition than less for a boat that requires work, which often costs more than the buyer anticipates.

Good luck!
Frank

econner

Thanks for the replies guys. I was looking at an Ericson 32-2 for $11,000.

The good: It had a newer diesel engine, replaced early 2000's, that appeared to be in very good shape. The owner did mention that the raw water pump blew up in his first couple of months owning it though. I did not find any soft spots or rot or buckling of the deck, the rigging and sails were in good shape, the paint on the hull seemed to be in pretty good condition, all of the running lights worked, and it had a newer battery charger. The teak interior was overall in very good shape. All of the electronics worked.

The bad: Both the sink and stove had been removed, the holding tank was not hooked up, and the head was very old (probably the original). One of the hatches leaked causing a bit of discoloration in the wood in one area. In general, the cabin had not had a lot of recent love. It appeared to be rigged as a daysailer without much thought given to below decks. There was also some crazing on the gelcoat.

I also don't think my eyes are well-trained enough yet to really spot problems. Am going to just have to look at a bunch more boats.

Baslin

Member III
I agree with the comment above about being patient, looking at many different boats. We bought our 1983 Ericson 38 in an estate sale and I'd like to think we got a really good deal. The boat did need some cosmetic work and a little elbow grease but overall, the boat is in great condition. I am a diesel mechanic by trade (14 years) so doing projects myself is not a problem and I am able to save a lot of money...

I also agree with the comment about buying a boat that has many of the features, add-ons, and upgrades that you desire, as the cost does not usually pan out when you start doing upgrades.

What I found very helpful, was to ask a friend to come along and look at different boats with me. Sometimes having an extra set of eyes and a different approach or perspective, seems to help.

Good luck and be patient.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
Like a lot of things in life the model year "born decade" makes a big difference also. A 1979 boat versus a 1980 boat/car....1979 sounds really old, 1980 not so much. Same with a 1999 or 2000 year boat. Often "yacht world" searches are based on maximum dollar amount and oldest year cut off i.e. less than $50,000 and 1980 and newer.

Having said that I've literally poured money into my 1981 E38 because I wanted to have it in a condition I could first feel safe with and then second comfort. Very little of this so called investment if any will I get back, but I will enjoy the boat knowing I have systems and gear I can trust.

Darrel

Member I
A different approach

Thanks for the replies guys. I was looking at an Ericson 32-2 for $11,000.

The good: It had a newer diesel engine, replaced early 2000's, that appeared to be in very good shape. The owner did mention that the raw water pump blew up in his first couple of months owning it though. I did not find any soft spots or rot or buckling of the deck, the rigging and sails were in good shape, the paint on the hull seemed to be in pretty good condition, all of the running lights worked, and it had a newer battery charger. The teak interior was overall in very good shape. All of the electronics worked.

The bad: Both the sink and stove had been removed, the holding tank was not hooked up, and the head was very old (probably the original). One of the hatches leaked causing a bit of discoloration in the wood in one area. In general, the cabin had not had a lot of recent love. It appeared to be rigged as a daysailer without much thought given to below decks. There was also some crazing on the gelcoat.

I also don't think my eyes are well-trained enough yet to really spot problems. Am going to just have to look at a bunch more boats.

We recently( Aug '16) bought out 35-3. And we looked at several boats. What lead us to the Erickson besides just being awesome is the mentality of what we don't like or can't live with. By looking at the boat buying process from that angle you will buy a great boat. Several comfort factors (chart plotter, AC, upgrades) can all be done if you have a little mechanical knowledge. But nothing will fix a layout you hate but a new boat. This is why we are in an Ericson instead of the hunter or islander.