Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HIN silliness

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting the results of your investigation. You'll want to maintain that history of HIN modification. I doubt you'll have any trouble at the border unless you make a mistake and get caught with a Canadian tomato when coming back to the U.S. That would be big trouble . Does your title have both HINs, too?

I've been inside a push to standardize future "unique designators" (in airplane manufacturing) and to properly account for older units while dealing with the transition units caught between the standards. It's always a confusing situation ("mess" sounds so negative).
    Craig Davis & Ellen Le Vita

1980 E38 "Pilot Project"
    Hull #20, Universal Diesel 5432
    Gig Harbor, WA

In Puget Sound there are only two directions to go - North and South. That applies to the boat and the wind.

Blog Entries

Talking Better than a HIN?

When it comes to real authenticity, nothing beats what one owner reported here, over a decade ago....
    He was removing some wood panels in his E-27 interior and found a picture of two young workers and a penned note on the back that said something like: "We built this boat" !!
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Blog Entries

yet another random HIN thought

(don't you all just love it when my three working brain cells fire in random patterns?)

I was doing some research on the HIN regulations, and ran across a couple of interesting things.

1) The law requires that the first three characters of the HIN conform to the appropriate manufacturer code. In the case of WA, assigning WNZ (indicating the boat was home-built in Washington) seems to violate the reg. And

2) There appears to be a process for applying for a HIN. And not just for manufacturers.

So that got me wondering... I wonder if I can "apply" to have the *right* HIN for my boat assigned to me.

According to the reg, my HIN "should be" ERYxxxxxH485. I'd love it if I could get ERY32604H485... that's the actual correct HIN for my boat, according to the regulations, and if I'm going to permanently affix a number to my transom I'd just as soon have it be the right one. I *hate* the thought of permanently affixing the WNZ number to my boat.

Anyone here gone through the process of applying for a HIN or have any pointers? I have a call into the USCG, but thought I'd ask here too...
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604
    Makana blog: here

Principal Partner

Bureaucratic tunnel vision

Last week, Il Natural resources watercraft division returned my renewal form and check. With clear notice that they required my Social Security number for Child Support. Directly below that was my date of Birth, which indicates I am about 80. Having been divorces for decades, with my youngest child middle aged.
    Reminded me of back in the 80's when I changed jobs, and AETNA required that I must pay for a family plan to insure my ex wife, my son (US ARMY, Military Intelligence, Stationed in Korea), and a daughter Living with a man in another state.
    But, that is the value of bureaucrats.
    Bob Barry
    E23 II Tohatsu 6
    Gypsy Rose

Blog Entries
    Semi-update... since this still really bugs me.

As mentioned above, I did some research on the interweb (which, as we all know, is the source of Indisputable Knowledge), and found an interesting part of the law... when the state issues a new "compliant" HIN, it has to accurately reflect the Manufacturer Identification Code (MIC) that is correct for the boat.

Ericson's MIC is "ERY". the State of Washington issued me a HIN that starts with "WNZ", which decodes to "Washington Homemade Boat".

I don't think that "accurately reflects the manufacturer code that is correct for the boat".

Armed with this Indisputable Knowledge, I called the Coast Guard, and eventually got through to a guy who understands the problem (and how badly Washington is donking the solution), and is going to put me in touch with the guy who can talk me through the process of applying for a different HIN. Presumably one that decodes to Ericson.

No real progress yet, but... at the least it is encouraging to know that someone else thinks this is a problem. And that there might be a way to fix it (I'm given to understand it involves petitioning the Commandant of the Coast Guard... we'll see).

Stay tuned...
    Bruce
    Last edited by bgary; 02-27-2018 at 03:06 PM.
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604
    Makana blog: here