• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Wanted: Ericson Olson 911

Reese

I'm in the PNW but willing to ship the right boat. I've been watching the site for some time and haven't seen any for sale recently so I thought I'd throw up a Wanted ad.
Any leads on Ericson or Pacific built Olson 911 S/SE are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reese

Dempster1

1989 Ericson 34-2

I'm in the PNW but willing to ship the right boat. I've been watching the site for some time and haven't seen any for sale recently so I thought I'd throw up a Wanted ad.
Any leads on Ericson or Pacific built Olson 911 S/SE are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reese

Hi, not sure if you are following this or have found a boat, but I have decided to list my 1989 Ericsson 34-2 for sale. I have just returned from Haida Gwaii and tied up in Port Hardy (North end of Vancouver Island). She is a great boat... I'm looking for 48,000 U.S. and put new sails on her at the end of 2015 season, a new windlass last year, and she is reliable and looks good. If you're seriously interested you can see her in Nanaimo area in a couple of weeks....and if you buy her no problem with delivery to Seattle area. My email is krisjohnsen@shaw.ca. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks

Kris

Reese

Hi, not sure if you are following this or have found a boat, but I have decided to list my 1989 Ericsson 34-2 for sale. I have just returned from Haida Gwaii and tied up in Port Hardy (North end of Vancouver Island). She is a great boat... I'm looking for 48,000 U.S. and put new sails on her at the end of 2015 season, a new windlass last year, and she is reliable and looks good. If you're seriously interested you can see her in Nanaimo area in a couple of weeks....and if you buy her no problem with delivery to Seattle area. My email is krisjohnsen@shaw.ca. Let me know if you're interested.

Thanks

Kris

Thanks Kris.

Sounds like a great boat. I finally scored a coveted 30' slip two blocks from my house so I'm maxed out with a 30 footer. Olson Ericson 911 is one of the nicest 30 footers out there. The 34 is one of the nicest 34 footers out there as well. There was one 34, Edgewalker, that raced at our club for many years.

Thanks again and cheers!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I may have found my boat. I have an accepted offer on a Ericson O911SE in Tacoma, WA at Tyee marina.
Survey on Thursday. Anyone know any history on this boat?

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1989/Olson-911se-3117140/Tacoma/WA/United-States#.WZx5EFV96JA

Nice looking. Ad is pretty skimpy, given the pedigree of the boat. That's a Schumacher design.
One factual error (unless it was replaced) is that the stock fuel tank is 14 gallons, not 12.

Price is low enough that I can see why you jumped on it..

Let us know how the purchase goes.

Looking forward to seeng you at the 2018 Rendezvous.
:)

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Slick470

Member III
Not many Olson 911s have the wheel so it will be interesting to hear how you like it with a wheel over a tiller. Ours has a tiller and for a 30 foot boat, is just fine. If I were to go to a wheel, I'd try to figure out how to fit a larger one as the one that ends up on the boat without any fiberglass work looks to prevent you from steering from the rail.

A benefit of the cockpit layout with the tiller and a decent extension, is the boat is very easy to singlehand. The angles work out just right where the main controls are just at the end of the tiller and with the extension, you can reach anything within the long cockpit.

Otherwise the boat looks to be in good shape. Ericson made several "versions" of the boat with various additional sail controls and various interior fit-outs. From the pictures, the boat seems to have the base level deck hardware and the higher level of cabinetry below. I haven't seen that many with the carpet hull liner, as most have Naugahyde that matches the headliner. I'm not sure which I'd prefer. I can't quite tell from the pictures if the boat is rigged for a spinnaker but that is a worthwhile addition if you are so inclined.

Oh, and make sure you do an out of water survey and take a look at the condition of the bottom and the rudder. Some of the boats have had blister problems that you'll want to get the price adjusted for if it's there.

Happy to answer any questions if they come up. We've had ours on the Chesapeake for several years now.

Last edited:

Shoe

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
On the tiller extension benefits, I have a friend that single handed a Catalina 42 almost all of the time for a decade. He installed/clamped a little teak block on the inside top spoke with hiking stick SS socket in it. For the usual minor changes in helm when going to weather for a while he said it worked really well.
Obviously of very limited use (!) when racing and coping with "traffic", but helpful when settled on a course when there are not too many other boats to dodge.

Last edited:

Reese

I bought the boat! Thanks for the help and the comments. I had a full boat survey and rig survey done. She has a few blisters and I'll probably take off all the paint and do a proper barrier coat in the spring. I do plan to ditch the wheel and convert to tiller. No need for wheel on a boat like this. Prop is a 2-blade fixed that I'm going to replace. It's old, pitted and has a small dent. I'm likely going to stick with a fixed 2 blade since I have another boat I race and I'm going to make this boat as cruisy as possible.

Thanks!
See you in the other forums.

Reese
Unnamed O911SE in Olympia, WA.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I bought the boat! Thanks for the help and the comments. I had a full boat survey and rig survey done. She has a few blisters and I'll probably take off all the paint and do a proper barrier coat in the spring. I do plan to ditch the wheel and convert to tiller. No need for wheel on a boat like this. Prop is a 2-blade fixed that I'm going to replace. It's old, pitted and has a small dent. I'm likely going to stick with a fixed 2 blade since I have another boat I race and I'm going to make this boat as cruisy as possible.

Thanks!
See you in the other forums.

Reese
Unnamed O911SE in Olympia, WA.

Please post up the description and include pix if you have the rudder post extended back up and a tiller head attached.
I have mulled over the idea of doing this for our boat.

Slick470

Member III
Congrats and let us know if you have any questions as you start getting to know the boat. As Loren said, post up pictures and write ups of your projects.