Water Pump Woes

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
I'm replacing the fresh-water (anti-freeze circuit) pump on my Universal M25. Thought I heard the sounds of a bad bearing on the old one. When I got the old pump off, I was surprised at the poor condition of the gear-case side of the pump-housing face. It looks like at least two types of hard sealant had been applied in the past and the surface was somewhat pock-marked and even had a 1/8" dimple/ridge where it looks like someone dropped a large wrench on it. I scrapped, peeled, filed-the gash, and scotch-brited the surface the best I could for about an hour. While I hadn't originally planned to use gasket sealant on the gasket (I didn't use it on the thermostat, and that has been fine), I'm sure now that I'll need it to get a proper seal.

Anyone here "been-there-done-that" already? I'm confused by the 20-or-so gasket products on the shelf at the auto part store. Not sure if it's better to use a gasket "sealer" or a gasket "maker" type product with the gasket, or whether it really makes any difference.

Thanks, Ken

20170624_165144.2.jpg

Added: I got the pump from a local Kubota dealer--perfect fit, $118.00, made in Japan. Apparently, there have been several changes in the Kubota part numbers over the years. My P/N is 15534-73030 for the pump, and 15676-73430 for the gasket (about $3). BTW, the thermostat I got from Kubota two months ago (about $28) was the wrong size, and had to be re-fit with the Westerbeke original ($63.00). So, I've been hit and miss with the Kubota parts, but they seem to run 1/2 to 2/3 less than the cost of marine parts. And, no shipping if you have a local Kubota dealer.

Last edited: