• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Newbie minutes from 32-2 purchase with questions.... mainly, should I?!

bkuchinic

Member II
Hello Airsailor, I'm also a newcomer to this site, and a newbie in that I purchased my first sailboat last December (2016).

After deciding to buy a boat, I started by reading about a dozen books on the subject while conducting daily searches of online sailboat listings (primarily yachtworld). One of the books I found most directly useful was "The Best Used Boat Notebook" by John Kretchmer. In this book John reprints years of Sailing Magazine articles he wrote about 40 used boats. I came upon a few early 1990's model Ericson 34's in a boat yard in Waukegan, IL. John's book has a very good review of a Pacific Seacraft 34 covering Price, Design Quality, Construction Quality, User-Friendliness, Safety, Typical Condition, Refitting, Support, Availability, Investment/Resale, and Overall rating. The 1992 Ericson 34-II I was considering was built by Pacific Seacraft - I figured the review would be representative. I then spent two 5-hour Saturdays surveying the boat myself. I'm not experienced, but followed the detailed guidance in Don Casey's "Inspecting The Aging Sailboat." I inspected the hull, chainplates, rigging... everything. The boat was in a cradle and I wasn't able to sail it or run the engine prior to purchase. I also had a very experienced friend look at the boat for me. I investigated the boat's history and learned it had been sold new by the same marina in 1992, had only two prior owners (I'm #3), was freshwater sailed in Lake Michigan, and serviced / winter stored for 25 years at the same marina. I looked up the BUC Value. After making an offer that was very close to the asking price that was accepted, I had the boat surveyed by a firm that was recommended by my friend, and found the boat to be good condition but for some neglected maintenance. I closed on the boat subject to a holdback protecting me from mechanical problems (tested after launch).

Fast forward: I worked on the boat for a number of weekends during the winter; launched in early May and made my first voyage to Chicago of about 45 nm. I spend quite a bit of time and money working on the boat so that it's safe and suitable for offshore sailing, but that takes a backseat to sailing 2-3 times/week which is an absolute life changer! I have no buyer's regret whatsoever. I learn something every time I'm out on the lake. I've spent more than 20% of the original purchase price on all the necessary safety gear, new Raymarine electronics, (some) new running rigging, new lifelines, and various repairs. From what I read that's to be expected. All in all perhaps the best money I've ever spent. One quote I remember from someone on this site is "if you don't like working on sailboats, don't buy one." How true that! My project list is a mile long.

By the way, I attended a couple talks by John Kretchmer at a boat show last January in Chicago, and I thanked him for his work and for giving me the confidence to pull the trigger on the purchase.

Finally, the resources at this site are priceless. I don't post much, but I read and learn as much as I can here.

I hope this is helpful, and good luck!

Brad

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
You are in good company. Some of us have done this more than once. :esad: We joke that the seller should have paid us to buy our second boat!

The more you pay for a boat, the less expensive it will be. Good luck with your search.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
This is a tale of mis-expectation.

I am living proof that every one of your identified repairs can be fixed by an enthusiastic amateur over time, but:
  • they would be daunting to attempt to address all at once and in the middle of the sailing season (I've done one a year, usually in spring)
  • that ratio of maintenance:underway time may not be what you or your family signed up for (I happen to enjoy the work, within reason; my wife, entirely the opposite, but I am lucky to have an exceptionally tolerant and handy boat partner)
  • there are other boats out there that will not require this much work
  • the price for this boat probably wasn't right in light of this

I think this is a $1 boat, sellable to someone who appreciates the design and cosmetics but who is willing to put a bunch of weekends into fixing it.

I will be curious to know what the seller does with your capital. She may be legally able to keep it but gosh, would I have a hard time doing that were I in her shoes. Very, very bad karma.

My deck repair is complete and the boat finally launched last week, though it is still largely in yard-repair shape down below. If you are in town I am taking Friday afternoon off and would be happy to take you for a sail and show you around the HYC. There are actually two very nice boats for sale in the club's parking lot, an Islander 32 and a Nonsuch 30. The Nonsuch in particular is an exceptionally differentiated design that might not be your cup of tea, but that you will never forget - check it out online.

http://www.cruisingworld.com/sailboats/nonsuch-30-utterly-uncomplicated-cruiser

Airsailor

Brad, thanks for relating your experience and process buying your Ericson. I've just ordered both books you mentioned...any others you could recommend? While I was waiting to for the boatbuilder to look at the bulkhead, I read " Your Boat Below Decks" by Michael Ross and Thomas Reale. This gave me a good sense of all the maintenance items on a boat of this size -- maintenance that I was starting to understand hadn't been done. Engine zincs? I think the PO probably had never heard of them...certainly I hadn't when I rushed into this. I realized I had no idea what type of through-hull fittings were on the boat or what their condition was. Basically I started to get a sense of the vast number of things I knew nothing about.

The whole business still makes me heartsick and a little confused, mostly because I know I'm capable of fixing everything on the boat and restoring it to sound condition. I strongly suspect that the boatbuilder who insisted that the entire bulkhead must be replaced is not right -- that a serviceable repair could be made to the existing bulkhead. But the issue is really that I don't want a first boat that I can't sail right away, and that's what "changed" when I discovered the bulkhead rot.

When I decided to start motorcycling in 1992, I started by taking the Motorcycle Safety Foundation course and got my license. Then I bought a jacket and helmet. A year later I finally bought my first (used) motorbike. This misadventure with this boat is out of character for me. Some kind of testament of the ability of an old sailboat to inspire fantasy and desire!

Any other suggestions for books on the topics of purchasing and maintaining would be most welcome. Any suggestions about sailing schools would also be very welcome -- I can consider taking classes locally in the NYC /NJ area, or traveling somewhere to do an intensive course. Books on sailing and cruising?

BigD, thanks for saying I'm not alone having made this mistake. I almost avoided posting to admit what I'd done --it's that embarrassing. But I thought being honest about the experience might benefit another newbie down the road, possibly. "The more you pay for a boat, the less expensive it will be." Brilliantly simple. I am saving up my ducats so that I can afford a less expensive boat!

thanks all,
Paul

Airsailor

Tenders,

You're spot on in your assessment. I think it comes down to wanting a higher sailing-to-repairing ratio, at least in a first boat. If the boat could be safely sailed -- if the rotted bulkhead were not a problem -- I'd be a happy camper, knowing I could chip away at the other issues while getting out on the water at the same time. I have to admit I'm still a bit torn, as I think I could cut out the rotted bulkhead area, scarf in a piece of 3/4" ply, epoxy it to the existing tabbing, then sister in a large, overlapping piece of ply on the forward side of the bulkhead, then bolt up the chainplate with longer bolts...and I think I could probably get this done in two or three weekends and have the boat sail-able again in September.... Left just to me, I'd probably try to talk the PO into returning some part of my cash, then I'd tackle the project. But my wife said she actually won't set foot on he boat if I do that! She said simply "this isn't our boat." I have to respect this because this whole endeavor is supposed to be about a family activity, not just what I want to do, which is the case with my sailplane and flying stuff.

Thanks so much for your generous offer to take me sailing and show me around the HYC. We're still in Georgia through the end of July but I'd love to take a rain check, and I can often take a weekday off. I will check out the boats you mentioned, but I am going to make my way further up the learning curve before purchasing a boat -- soonest would be late fall or this winter, or next year sometime. Look forward to meeting you --

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You are in good company. Some of us have done this more than once. :esad: We joke that the seller should have paid us to buy our second boat!

The more you pay for a boat, the less expensive it will be. Good luck with your search.

That is the BEST bit of "short form advice" I have seen in ages!

Speaking of viewing and trying out boats, if you are ever visiting our area we will be glad to offer a sail for an afternoon.
We have met several other EY owners over the years...
:)

Loren