• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-29 Owners - Help! (backstay/chain plate questions)

Thursty30

Member II
I kicked this around with another member in a private chat, but I wanted to open it up for suggestions.

I have nailed down a final design of the chain plates for the shrouds, dry fitting and locating exact bolt holes tomorrow.

The Fore stay plate, is pretty strait forward.

The back stay though, leaves some options. The first question for E-29 owners is, do you have a split or single stay? I have a single, but the member I have been chatting with has split. It came that way and they left it that way when replacing the chainplates. I don't know which is OEM, or if both were options.

I am not against splitting it, but I would absolutely get a rigger involved if I was going to go that route. It does seem like the better option for moving to external plates (splits the load to 2 chainplates, locations on the transom, ETC).

BUT... the single design has worked fine for 40+ years. Does anyone know what the chain plate that is bedded in the transom looks like? Is it just a strap the same width as what is exposed all the way through? If so, in theory I could drill through bolts through that strap much like I am doing on for the shrouds.

If anyone has cut their transom open or replaced the aft chainplate(s), any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Conrad

IMG_0033.jpg

paul culver

Member III
Single unsplit backstay on my E29. I'll try to remember to check the chain plate arrangement today and get back to you.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I have not heard of anyone digging that one out. The transom is actually fairly thin - about 5/16" thick IIRC from replacing through-hulls. Then there is a massive build-up around the chain plate. No visible hardware protruding. One can't really tell what's going on inside that big lump. There must be some kind of lateral member(s) to it. (I had to cut an access port in the liner to remove the old worn-out traveller and also install a boarding ladder.) If you cut it out, there wouldn't be much hull left. I think that a split backstay would be the easiest path for replacement.

Adding any hardware back there is going to require reinforcement of some sort, as well as opening up access through the liner. Possible considerations here are: Do you plan to add a self-steering wind vane at any point in the future? What about a swim platform or ladder? Any plans for a SSB radio with a backstay antenna? I'm not sure there would be enough length on the 29 for an antenna above a split, but I might be wrong. Drogues or running backstays might also require additional chainplates in or near the stern.

Personally, I have sort of a long-range idea to carve out everything aft of the rudder post/quarterberth bulkhead and making a big watertight lazarette and poop-deck. Thus shortening the cockpit, creating an aft crash box, allowing installation of a larger fuel tank(s) and a decent propane locker. Not sure if replacing the backstay can wait for all that...

Last edited:

Jenkins

Member II
My backseat is split with a tensioner installed. I believe this was done by a PO as the original chainplate is still there.

One drawback of the split backseat is it significantly clutters up the back part of the cockpit behind the wheel. I am forever wanting to be exactly where those wires are.

When time and $ become available, I plan to revert.

peter

Thursty30

Member II
I went ahead and answered my own question...

Toddster, I do plan to add a self steering wind vane. I have actually been researching DIY options (because I need more projects) like this one http://www.windvaneselfsteering.co.uk/gallery.htm , but thats down the road and I can't imagine there wouldn't be a a work around regardless of whether the back stay is split or not. SSB is probably not in my future though, and I already have a swim ladder off the transom.

I dug out that rear chain plate, it is a strap with anchors welded on, was probably in good enough shape to leave alone, but I am not going to change out 85% of the chainplates. Plus I think there is a lot that is gained by getting them all external including routine inspections and ease of replacement. I agree with Peter, in that I like to ride in the corners where the chainplates would be for a split stay, the other member I spoke with indicated the same thing about his sentiment. For ease of design, and comfort when helming I am going to keep the single stay.

So I am going to drill 5-7 3/8'' holes into the existing strap/hull, and put an external strap of similar length/width right on the back of the transom using through bolts. All designs/templates are going to my metal guy for pricing this afternoon. I will probably reach out to a couple other guys who build chainplates (recommended by members), for pricing as well. I will report back with that info, as well as pictures of the finished product in the next couple weeks.

The other photos are of the aft, port shroud chain plate after I dug it out. I drilled a hole in both, centered (up/down) then ran a string line to identify the center of the strap, and drilled the pilot holes from the outside using my template for spacing. The layer of fiberglass helped keep the bit from walking, and as stated in another thread, a very slow RPM and some PB blaster (in lieu of cutting fluid) made pretty clean holes. All I have to do now is repair the hull around the glass where I hacked it away, I will probably add a backing plate to give a nice level surface for the washer/nuts (plus a little more beef in a critical stress area), and bolt up the new chainplates when they are ready.

This really isn't that daunting of a project once you commit. I'll keep the updates coming or create a blog post once finished. Feels good to be able to say, if any one has any questions about this, feel free to ask.
IMG_0055.jpgIMG_0057.jpgIMG_0048.jpgIMG_0051.jpgIMG_0049.jpg

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Good to have this info out there.
The reason I was going on about "other hardware" was that instead of a bunch of little backing plates, it might be worthwhile to glass-in some broad reinforcement all the way across the transom and into the corners. But I guess that might be a little difficult with the old chainplate and its reinforcing mound still in place.

Thursty30

Member II
Gotcha! I misunderstood what you were driving at, it is definitely a valid thought. I will keep it in mind, and probably add reinforcement if/when I add hardware.

Good to have this info out there.
The reason I was going on about "other hardware" was that instead of a bunch of little backing plates, it might be worthwhile to glass-in some broad reinforcement all the way across the transom and into the corners. But I guess that might be a little difficult with the old chainplate and its reinforcing mound still in place.