• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 Quadrant Replacement

Theanswer

Member I
We have a 1984 E38 and are having a below deck Autopilot installed. Yard installing indicated we needed to replace the existing quadrant so the Hydraulic Ram can connect properly. Is the rudder on an E38 Positively buoyant or does the rudder have to be pulled to remove and re-install a new quadrant?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
We have a 1984 E38 and are having a below deck Autopilot installed. Yard installing indicated we needed to replace the existing quadrant so the Hydraulic Ram can connect properly. Is the rudder on an E38 Positively buoyant or does the rudder have to be pulled to remove and re-install a new quadrant?

Wow. That seems like an Expensive solution to a problem that I have never before heard of.
There are pix on this site with plates bolted across the quadrant to carry the load of the connection. Depending of the amount of room above the stuffing box, some boats have a separate tiller arm installed just for the AP drive.

Other E-38 owners should have some helpful commentary.

Good luck,
Loren

Last edited:

Theanswer

Member I
Replace the existing quadrant with--what?

Installer suggested an aluminum quadrant with an welded arm. Have not seen the design yet. We are departing for a trip to Mexico from PNW in August and running out of time to get this handled. Started process of electronics overhaul in January and still going. Trying to figure out if we can replace the quadrant without dropping the rudder. Or if there are other options.

Captainken

Member I
quadrant coroded

It

My quadrant has been disintegrating for years and I've been jerry rigging for awhile. need to consider replacing it now. 1987 Ericson 32. steering pedestal is by Sailing Specialties. Any ideas out there who could sell these

Stefouellet

Disc Drive replacement

I have an 86 Ericson 28 and I recently realized that the disc drive was split quite badly near the bolt location (on both sides). I was looking at the Edson model but I realized through this thread that Lewmar were also making disc drives.

How did the Lewmar disc drive fit and did it allow the use of the emergency steering post? Is it easy to change that yourself or should I get that done by a professional mechanic? Any issues encountered when changing the disc drive? I assume the bolt hole location must be exact to align with the pulleys. Just concerned that the disk drive will show up pre-drilled in the wrong location. Can you re-use the eye-bolts with the new disc drive?

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/asset.php?fid=23535&uid=11629&d=1565586881
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoex...attachmentid=27583&d=1565586881&thumb=1&stc=1

Thank you

Stef Ouellet
Hilda Harris

Attachments

• 20190811_162233.jpg
    20190811_162233.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20190811_161455.jpg
    20190811_161455.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Navman

Member III
If there is nothing wrong with the quadrant then it should not be an issue. I bought an Edison tiller arm and attached it to the rudder post. You first have to remove the black 3"spacer from the post so the arm can be attached as there will not be enough space ( a lot of cutting cursing and bruising involved). I mounted by below decks ram under the helmsman seat where I built a platform for it so it pushes for and pulls aft. It did mean installing the rudder tiller arm perpendicular to the bow to stern axis. Any boat yard who knows what they are doing should not have an issue with it. A new quadrant??? Sounds like an "up sell".