• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

30+ Furler/Halyard Restrainer

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
On my 30+ all the halyards exit vertically. The ProFurl furler has the "Wrap Stop" Darth Vader helmet at the top to prevent halyard wrap. The Wrap Stop has broken loose, so it doesn't really prevent the halyard from wrapping, but it does tend to wrap up the (currently unused) spinnaker halyard and anything else up there and makes a big mess. The spin halyard is currently there only for looks, and it gets tossed around the spreader to keep it out of the way of the furler. Eventually I will use the spin halyard, and would prefer the Wrap Stop not interfere with its operation.

So when I put the mast back up I am considering removing the Wrap Stop and installing a halyard restrainer just below the halyard exit. Does anyone see any issues with this plan? Are there other alternatives, short of replacing the furler? It works fine except for the broken Wrap Stop. The top of the mast is to the left in the second photo.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Furler 2.jpg
    Furler 2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 64
  • halyard exit.jpg
    halyard exit.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 51

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I don't have any issues with the plan to remove the wrap stop. However, you could put a short piece of Dyneema or other UV resistant line between the head of the sail and the roller's top attachment bearing. The correct length will allow the halyard (and the bearing) to go nearly all the way up. The remaining halyard will be too short to wrap. The piece of line could also be added at the tack of the jib. Same effect. And, using the bottom of the sail makes it easier to get the proper length before you connect to the head and hoist it all the way up. Either location for the line will work well. I use this method to prevent halyard wrap without using a halyard restrainer.

markvone

Sustaining Member
You may not need the halyard retainer

If your jib is furling now without wrapping the JIB halyard, then you shouldn't need the halyard retainer. My jib halyard is parallel to the furler foil/forestay (see first picture) which is generally NOT what is recommended, but my jibs furl easily without wrapping the JIB halyard. There is no wrap-stop device. It's the original Harken furler with ball bearing upper swivel. I must have enough halyard tension to prevent the upper half of the swivel from rotating.

My two SPIN halyards exit either side of the center JIB halyard and they will wrap around the furler foil and jib if I don't move them off the bow pulpit (where they are stored to prevent mast slap) to the mast base when I'm sailing. You can see the white dots of the green/white stbd spin halyard stowed along the leading edge of the mast in the first picture. In the second (out of focus) picture you can sort of see how the green and red spin halyards when stored on the bow pulpit are close to the furled jib and lower swivel and can get wrapped. With your spin halyard exiting above the forestay/furler bringing it back behind the spreader when sailing should keep it out of the way. If you remove the wrap-stop you may be able to store the unused spin halyard at the front mast base (like mine) and not have it wrap in the furler.

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 57

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Halyard Restrainer

Hi Craig Soo do I understand you correctly? If our halyard restrainer breaks we probably could save the day by adding a non stretch line to the bottom of the sail where it attaches to the bow... Then we could adjust the length of the line soo we do not wrap at the top? If that is what you meant I wish that I had thought of it last year when we broke my restrainer under sail. We used a non roller reefing sail for a week. The raceboat moored next to us is the local yard foreman and his crew went up the mast and replaced the restrainer. Embarrassing as I would have preferred to fix it myself. We don't do our own mastwork anymore. Restrainer lasted 30 years but it is not very sturdy and could bust again. Thanks
Best Regards Pat 1981 E28+ Universal 5411 35 year old Harken Furler

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
As I understand it, not everyone needs a halyard restrainer. If there's an angle between halyard and mast sheave, that prevents wrap. If the genoa is pretty much full hoist, and there are only a few inches of halyard showing, wrap is also unlikely. A long halyard exposure encourages wrap.

Harken is kinda cagey about this. They show a typical installation without a restrainer, and then a slightly longer halyard exposure with a restrainer.

harkenCapture.JPG

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Craig Soo do I understand you correctly? If our halyard restrainer breaks we probably could save the day by adding a non stretch line to the bottom of the sail where it attaches to the bow... Then we could adjust the length of the line soo we do not wrap at the top? If that is what you meant I wish that I had thought of it last year when we broke my restrainer under sail. We used a non roller reefing sail for a week. The raceboat moored next to us is the local yard foreman and his crew went up the mast and replaced the restrainer. Embarrassing as I would have preferred to fix it myself. We don't do our own mastwork anymore. Restrainer lasted 30 years but it is not very sturdy and could bust again. Thanks
Best Regards Pat 1981 E28+ Universal 5411 35 year old Harken Furler

Pat,
Yes. The line length is set to put the swivel at full hoist, which doesn't leave enough halyard to wrap. It worked for me for years. You still need to be able to tension the halyard normally, of course. The Dyneema (or AmSteel) line is slippery so I left plenty of tail on the bowlines. A little rigging tape or a couple stitches will also secure the knot from slipping out. I inspected it every year or two and never found any problems.

As Christian suggests, the restrainer is popular and does prevent the problem. But more holes in the mast didn't appeal to me.

In an emergency any piece of line that holds a bowline will work. Keep your upper swivel in good working order. Usually rain does the job.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Jib Halyard Restrainer

Hi Respected Sailors
Thanks! That is a excellent scheme! Wish that I had though of it last year. I was overwhelmed by the concern of having a jib stuck-up. The new restrainer is attached with (4) rivets instead of (2) so it should last for the rest of my sailing career... But.. I sure like having a good fix in my back pocket. I'll mention it to the yard manager also. They have plenty to do in the beginning of the season and don't need to be running up a mast before race night.
Best Regards Pat 1981 E28+ Universal 5411 Harken Furler

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Great info guys, thanks. I think I will experiment with a length of line at the tack (in the distant future when the rig goes back on) and not try to fix or replace the Wrap Stop.