• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1977 E '27 Manual Bilge

Bink

Member I
All-

The manual bilge on my 1977 E 27 is not working. The manual bilge(Whale, Gusher) is only 2 yrs old, and appears to be in good shape. It was working a few weeks back and now, there is no suction / not working.

Yesterday, I drained the bilge(all but @ 2 inches) to discover that the drain hose and metal fitting to which the hose is clamped is not affixed anywhere in the bilge area.

Question:

Should the hose / metal fitting be affixed in the bilge or is it free floating / sinking?

Any suggestions on a good fix are welcome.

Thanks.

Bink

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It should be "held down" so that the strum box stays as low as reasonably possible to pick up the maximum amount of water.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Way Deep

If your bilge is as deep as the one on my old 73' 27, it would be almost impossible to anchor anything at the bottom. I used a rigid section of PVC pipe clamped at the top of the bilge to keep my electric pump and hose as low as possible. Of course after pumping the water remaining in the long hose always drained back in.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Bink,

The manual bilge hose on my '76 E27 is not attached to anything at the bottom of the bilge. The vertical 3'+ section of bilge hose that terminates at the bottom of the bilge is stiff reinforced hose. It is actually hard to pull it out of the bilge.

Regarding the pump, I have had the same issue of water not pumping out of a partially full bilge and it turned out to be a piece of debris (2" splinter) stuck in the diaphragm. You might be able to disconnect the hoses at the pump and run your finger around the inside of the pump and dislodge the debris - if that is what is causing your issue. On my boat the pump is in a hard to get to spot and I had to remove it to get my finger in it.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Mine didn't ever pump well because the end of the hose floated on top of any water. I've wired it to an extra diving weight until I figure out what to do with it.
Actually it didn't work to begin with because it was installed wrong - the output hose was kinked against the underside of the deck. I think most of those Whale pumps can be assembled so the hoses run in any orientation you want.

Vagabond39

Member III
Gusher 9

Bink:
Three possible problems.
1. A pinhole leak in the suction hose.
2. A piece of something in either the input or output valves on the pump itself.
3. Rubber Diaphram cracked, and allowing air in.
That requires removing the hose clamp holding the diaphram, and inspecting the valves. Placing a screen on the bldge hose end will prevent picking up debris with the pump.
Good luck.
Bob

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Right, diaphragm pumps are very sensitive to debris. Need a good junk screen and a fairly clean bilge.

And I think most of us have found that the diaphragm of an original Ericson Whale pump is probably worn out by now, if not the pump itself. .

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Although Whale pump service kits are available, most of the fasteners on our original pumps are likely to be corroded beyond non-destructive removal. For this reason, I just replaced our Whale Gusher 10 pump with a new one. The old one had bad flap valves, a cracked diaphragm, and a clogged outlet. Getting the old one out wth it's bent bolts was not a trivial project. Installing the new pump, however, was simple.

Vagabond39

Member III
Right, diaphragm pumps are very sensitive to debris. Need a good junk screen and a fairly clean bilge.

And I think most of us have found that the diaphragm of an original Ericson Whale pump is probably worn out by now, if not the pump itself. .
Origional suction hose is also a frequent flier. A little air, and the pump is happy, why move water:0
Defender had rebuild kist for the 9. Diaphragm and two valves. A LOT CHEAPER, AND EASIER TO INSTALL THAN A NEW MODEL PUMP.:rolleyes:
Bob

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Whale Pumps

Hi Respected Sailors
Whale pump experience with our 120 day boating season.
1. We replaced our whale bilge pump last year (36 years), Fasteners on old pump frozen solid and rubber in and out flaps dead rigid. Diaphram appeared OK. Replacement pump was about $200.
The same style whale pump in the head is still working OK.
2. Mooring neighbor replaced his whale pump two years ago at (38) years with whale plastic replacement. Much cheaper and works OK but he does not cruise anymore.
3. Another mooring neighbor replaces his in and out flaps every 3-4 years and has no problems with the fasteners.
Best Regards Pat 1981 E28+ Universal 5411

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Re: Costs. FWIW, I recently picked up a (plastic) Whale Mk V on Ebay for $1. Bought the rebuild kit in anticipation (about $50) but it wasn't needed. Yet. One of the screw-holes was stripped and oddly, a couple of the screws were bent a bit. Easily fixed for a few cents. It seems like a pretty robust unit, other than the plastic threads in the case. A few screws half an inch longer than spec, with matching nuts, would seem to be good spares to keep in the kit.

Getting farther off-topic, but I thought I'd install this practically-free second pump under the chart table so that the bilge can be pumped from both the cabin and the cockpit. I believe this is as per offshore racing rules, which seems like a pretty good safety guideline. I plan to leave the pick-up hose long and only loosely secured, so that it can be used to vacuum out the isolated compartments forward of the mast which can be difficult to clear if they get wet. In fact, I may leave the pick-up in that awkward little bilge under the hanging locker, that sometimes ships a gallon or more of water when i change out the paddlewheel sensor.

Cnieto77

Way Deep

If your bilge is as deep as the one on my old 73' 27, it would be almost impossible to anchor anything at the bottom. I used a rigid section of PVC pipe clamped at the top of the bilge to keep my electric pump and hose as low as possible. Of course after pumping the water remaining in the long hose always drained back in.
Do you have pictures of this setup?