• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Table Dimensions for Ericson 27

barely adequate

I'm looking to build a fold-down table for the saloon in the Ericson 27 I just bought. It was removed by previous owners and there is now a flat-screen TV in it's place. Sadly I need a place to do charting/drink beer/play dominos more than I need a big screen to watch Netflix on. Any carpenters out there have dimensions or plans for the original table? If anyone has one they no longer want that would be okay, too, I guess.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Salon Table

I have a salon table I salvaged from an 81' E-28+. I'll get some measurements for you.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Salon Table Not

Sorry, faulty memory. The salon table I have is from my 52' Vataroy Amphibette. It was designed to sit atop the centerboard standpipe. Not suitable for an E-27.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
What I did was to first make a "guess" table out of fiberboard, with a circular saw. Workmanship time, 1 minute.

I wound up reshaping it twice before satisfied. I'd do it that way again.

I was cutting down an existing Ericson teak table. If starting scratch I'd consider 3/4-inch plywood with teak veneer on the top side, bordered with Home Depot mahogany rails to cover the end grain of the ply.

You could also edge-glue 6" hardwood, but I have found edge-gluing to be one step past my competence.

I say make the table as small as you can get away with. It makes the cabin bigger. Rare is the sit-down dinner for 12 aboard our boats.

...And you're right, this ain't my normal lunch. No idea how endive got on the boat that day....

IMG_1141.jpg

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Edge Jointing

Biscuits! And one of my favorite tools. And an E27 fold up table.
iu

E27 Table.jpg

E27 Table Folded.jpg

E27 Table 3.jpg

Last edited:

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
Don,
That corner step up to the v-berth is priceless. Can you post a close-up picture and some dimensions. Been meaning to make that addition for years! Think of it every time I muscle-up to get into that berth.
Thanks!

Forgot you don't have that boat anymore! If you have any old pictures to post of it -please do.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Here's a clever and good-looking table that I'm thinking of copying. Instead of folding it up on the bulkhead, swing it over the unoccupied settee, and keep the useful work surface.
Panope table.jpg

But he did make it so that it can be stored on the bulkhead too:
panope table 3.jpg
In fact, this boat has a lot of clever details and ideas to admire and potentially steal...
https://youtu.be/iL6ZKkeSwaQ
https://youtu.be/riXNSA7m-bk

Last edited:

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi barely adequate,

The original table was probably not a fold down from the bulkhead table, if that's what you mean by fold down. The factory table on my 1976 E27 had brackets that the table hung off of the bulkhead, it didn't hinge and stow on the bulkhead. I rebuilt mine so I could use it as a bed platform between the settee's. You can see some photos in the Albums section of this website. If you haven't been to the member photo album area yet go to the header above, look for "Community" then "Albums" then "E27 table/berth. While you're there there are a bunch of great albums from many EricsonYachts members.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Grant,

Doug's step inspired me to build a step for Lotus Flower. I ended up making a hinged lid storage bin there.

Attachments

• vbstep.jpg
    vbstep.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 166

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
That is too cool Mark. Your boat is the most amazing E27 that I have ever seen (inside and out). The invitation to sail the delta is always open - although mine's a bit rough around the edges it's still a heck of a lot of fun. Summer sailing just started! Our seasonal winds have finally settled in. Thanks for the response.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Mark, that is genius! Grant, I don't have any photos unfortunately. I just used a scrap of 3/4 or 1" mahogany, cut a couple cleats and screwed it in. I think I through bolted the cleats in place. The entire job took me about 30 minutes (before finishing of course). I rounded exposed edges with a router so no sharp edges on the bottom or top could snag a toe or heel.

Doug

Gary Holford

Member II
I'm looking to build a fold-down table for the saloon in the Ericson 27 I just bought. It was removed by previous owners and there is now a flat-screen TV in it's place. Sadly I need a place to do charting/drink beer/play dominos more than I need a big screen to watch Netflix on. Any carpenters out there have dimensions or plans for the original table? If anyone has one they no longer want that would be okay, too, I guess.

Mine which previously hung on the bulkhead was 34" x 18" x 28" H with an ugly beige formica top (since changed to wood). A previous owner must have added a 11" wide fold out leaf. I added a 5" extension so that the table could fold up against the "bookcase". There should be some pix on the E27 facebook page. My carpentry skills leave a lot to be desired so there maybe some more refinements.

Thursty30

Member II
This is awesome, and humbling.

Here's a clever and good-looking table that I'm thinking of copying. Instead of folding it up on the bulkhead, swing it over the unoccupied settee, and keep the useful work surface.
View attachment 22287

But he did make it so that it can be stored on the bulkhead too:
View attachment 22288
In fact, this boat has a lot of clever details and ideas to admire and potentially steal...
https://youtu.be/iL6ZKkeSwaQ
https://youtu.be/riXNSA7m-bk