• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Chainplate Inpection

barely adequate

I recently purchased a 1977 Ericson 27. As with many boats, lots of the deck fittings leak, as do the chainplates where they pass though the deck. I will be cleaning out the old adhesive and re-bedding this area (probably with 4200 or 5200) first, I wanted to inpect the lower end of the chainplates for signs of fatige or corrosion. Besides inspection being a generally a good idea, I have heard of at least one chainplate failure on an E27. The first one I opened up appears to be glassed over (photo here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8-8UI9ISKB_LXlYM0N0bnY4bTQ/view?usp=drivesdk Is this normal, or something a previous owner did? If it is the standard construction, is there any way to inspect the lower end of the chainplates where the attach to the hull, besides grinding them out and reglassing the whole area?

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Totally normal. Check previous threads for this issue. I ended up replacing mine, but probably didn't need to after it was all said and done. It depends on the history of the boat.

Make sure that you seal the core around the chainplates as much as you possibly can before putting the chainplate covers back on. Water ingress around the chainplates caused extensive core damage on my 72 E27 and necessitated a complete re-core of both side decks.

Love your screen name. Reminds me of a stamp my HS history teacher had made, which was liberally used on papers submitted by his students.

Last edited: