E35-3 Mystery Blocks...

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Without question it is not my favorite, and at some point hope to also replace with a Harken unit (the Mk. IV specifically is my favorite at the time of writing this) as well. For now though, I hope to get a couple more sessions out of the CDI. Debating as to whether or not to use the mystery blocks (now that I know what they're for); we had just used the ring of the tack on the sail as the other "block" (previous owner had done the same thing) and figured it was just a rinky-dink setup. But I could also see the blocks putting a bit of stress into the sailcloth with their sharper edges. The blocks would certainly allow for much needed halyard tension though...

What Harken system did you end up with?

JSM

Member III
I ended up replacing the CDI furler with a Harken Crusing 1 furler. I reallly didn't realize how bad the CDI unit was untill I put the Harken on.
I found that a yearly cleaning and lubing of the lower end of the CDI furler with teflon grease really helped since there are no bearings in the lower end.

Last edited:

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
I ended up replacing the CDI furler with a Harken Crusing 1 furler. I reallly didn't realize how bad the CDI unit was untill I put the Harken on.
I found that a yearly cleaning and lubing of the lower end of the CDI furler with teflon grease really helped since there are no bearings in the lower end.
Yes - I've been lubricating annually as well (with Superlube grease - works well with plastics) and it makes a world of difference. Last season I even pulled all of the extrusions off and re-lubricated each extrusion bearing. This helped considerably as well.
I know many folks with Harken furlers and they seem to be fine units no matter the model. Thanks for your feedback!

Kevin A Wright

Member III
The only thing that makes sense with a 1/4 line would be for a lazy Jack system. I've got one on my E35 III but don't remember seeing those style block. Maybe the cant is to allow them to attach to the teardrop shape of the boom?

Kevin Wright
s/v Hydro Therapy

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
The only thing that makes sense with a 1/4 line would be for a lazy Jack system. I've got one on my E35 III but don't remember seeing those style block. Maybe the cant is to allow them to attach to the teardrop shape of the boom?

Kevin Wright
s/v Hydro Therapy

Yep - the cant in the blocks is to follow the curved (round in cross section) surface of the CDI roller furling head (see page 2 of the mystery blocks post for "mystery solved!"). I'm just glad I can finally sleep at night. :egrin: