E35-3 Mystery Blocks...

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Digging through a box of parts I received with the boat were these 2 blocks. They don't look very used, but I'm wondering what they might have been for? Whatever they were, if they were ever installed they must have been removed or replaced fairly quickly since they don't look very worn. Also, they're handed and labeled port and starboard.
Any ideas?
2017-06-13 18.12.51.jpg2017-06-13 18.14.26.jpg2017-06-13 18.13.47.jpg2017-06-13 18.11.56.jpg
The sheaves appear to be typical white nylon and accommodate ~1/4" line. I'm befuddled.

Last edited:

redbeard1

Member II
What is the approx size in inches? Are there any holes/fittings for attaching?

First guess would be anchor related. Maybe on either side of the grooved rubber donut on which the anchor rests. But I'm just guessing wildly.

Nothing like that on our 34-200 at least not deck level.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I applied "Search Google for similar Images" to several of the photos, and quickly found the answer.

What you have there is either a door handle or a frying pan.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Ha ha, Christian.

Old traveler blocks? Each sheet is tied off to the pin, runs towards a turning block, comes back to the large block and runs up against the smaller block to a cleat on the side of the cockpit coaming (not shown).

Glyn Judson

What are they?

Christian, Funny, I Googled them too and came up with photos of a matching pair of monagramed stainless steel salt & pepper shakers. Glyn

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Dunno... the PO of my boat had a couple of cheek blocks at the base of the mast for downhaul and vang, but... they don't lead fair to the cabin top winch and the clutches labeled for them. Maybe if they had some sort of english twist like that to lead them around the companionway...?

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
All excellent thoughts. I'll both take some measurements of the parts (as was requested; or perhaps photograph them on some graph paper), and try sticking them in the various locations suggested to see if logic or reason triumphs. If all else fails I may do as Google suggests and use them for salt and pepper shakers. I mean, there's a "P" on one and an "S" on the other - makes perfect sense! :egrin:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Exit blocks?

I wonder if they're some kind of exit block? Rigrite has some pictures of similar looking items, but without the tilt on the line guide or whatever it is.

Exit_blocks.html_txt_K-11199P.gif

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
The sizing is what confuses me.

My first thought was that they were a pair of the old "cassette"-style spin-halyard sheave-boxes that were a trend for a mercifully-brief time.

Or, they might be fancy traveler blocks.

But sized for 1/4" line? Don't know anything on a 35-3 that came rigged with 1/4" line.... not traveler lines, not reef lines.... don't know.

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Did your boat ever have dinghy davits, running backstays, or a self-steering windvane?

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Did your boat ever have dinghy davits, running backstays, or a self-steering windvane?

No, not that I'm aware.

Also, regarding line size they may be able to fit 5/16" but they look pretty thin, and then the groove in the sheave is thinner yet.

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
I could see that - might need to take a look below the cockpit and see they might fit anywhere. Still, most of those sheaves are Al, whereas these are nylon.

MarineCityBrian

Apprentice Tinkerer
Mystery Blocks - SOLVED!!!!

I have finally found out what these mystery blocks are used for. While perusing listings I came across an old CDI furler drum for a reasonable price and upon closer inspection actually saw the mystery blocks there! Then, after using the "Wayback Machine" to look at a cached version of the old CDI site (when they actually still posted info on their older furler systems) I was actually able to find them in the parts diagram!
CDI Roller Furling Base - mystery blocks explained3.JPG
Boxed in red above.
CDI Roller Furling Base - mystery blocks explained2.jpg
They can be seen sitting to the left of the furling drum in this photo.
CDI Roller Furling Base - mystery blocks explained4.jpg
They are listed above as item "L", "Upper Tensioner", and appear to actually be intended to bolt to your genoa's tack.
I haven't been able to sleep for months worrying about this...now slumber, precious slumber will finally be had. :egrin:

Happy sailing to all, and to all a happy New Year!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Whew!

This issue bugged me almost as much as the case of the curious taffrail swivel globe. That turned out to be a fishing pole holder.

Vagabond39

Member III
Unknown items

Occasionaly you can come across a quaint piece of something, that boggles the mind. Some are manufacturing errors. Others are merely idiot finders.
And they are extremely efficient.:nerd:

JSM

Member III
Mystery solved for me as well.
I owned a C&C 30 for 30 years that had that same CDI furler . Every spring when we put the jib on I would tie a line to the tack of the sail and reave it thru a pin that lived in the spot that those blocks should have been in. I always wondered what I was missing.
I hated that furler and eventually replaced it with a Harken.