• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New E23-2 Owner! Have some tech questions

Tempest

Member I
Hey Guys,

I bought a '78(?) E23-2 last night and I've got some questions I'm hoping you'll be able to help me with.

So my understanding is that Ericson went out of business in the '90s. Where can we get parts? I need a new spreader base (casting that's used to mount the spreader to the mast).

Is there anywhere I can get a manual? I downloaded a copy of the sail plan data and the mast raising guide from the site here but word is there's a manual floating around out there in the ether. I emailed the fellow mentioned in the Sailing Magazine article but who knows how old that info is.

I have a dent in the starboard side from the trailer bunk as the boat has been out of the water for about 4 years, according to the PO. Has anyone encountered this problem before and is there a good way to rectify the situation?

Thanks! Looking forward to doing some more reading and posting here :)

P_20170518_185033.jpgP_20170518_185752.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Last edited:

Vagabond39

Member III
Tempest

Welcome Aboard:
I am getting ready to see about having spreader castings made. The mast and spreaders are comon to the E 23, 25, and 27. And the castings apperar to be a common failure (& age).
Good luck, and enjoy.
Bob

Tempest

Member I
Welcome aboard.

Need to know more about the distortion of the hull. Have you had the boat off the trailer yet? What's the situation look like from the inside?

You've probably seen these threads. E23 owners will know more.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?11007-1968-Ericson-23-Manual

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?1651-Ericson-23-owners-group

When you're ready, just bring up the issues one by one as they appear. Photos really help.

Nope, she hasn't been off the trailer yet. Got a guy coming to look at the rigging on Wednesday.

dent looks fine from the inside. It's actually hard to see. Glass look fine other than being able to kinda tell that it's pushed in.

Bob Boe just got a hold of me and I'm going to buy a manual from him.
P_20170518_191049_1.jpgP_20170518_200451.jpgP_20170518_202012.jpgP_20170522_120802.jpgP_20170522_120713.jpg

Tempest

Member I
Welcome Aboard:
I am getting ready to see about having spreader castings made. The mast and spreaders are comon to the E 23, 25, and 27. And the castings apperar to be a common failure (& age).
Good luck, and enjoy.
Bob
Thanks! Well if you're having spreader castings made put me down for one!! I definitely need a new one!
P_20170522_115546.jpgP_20170522_115529.jpg

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Spreader Bracket Castings

On my previous 73' E-27 I eliminated the troublesome cast aluminum brackets and spreaders and the mast dimples they cause. I fabricated a stainless steel saddle that fit around the mast and welded on stainless brackets I purchased from Dyer masts. I also purchased Dyer spreaders to fit the new brackets. It was many years ago but I do still have a couple of photos.

Attachments

• PICT0018 (640x480).jpg
    PICT0018 (640x480).jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 28
  • PICT0019.JPG
    PICT0019.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 39
  • PICT0021.JPG
    PICT0021.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Good. I would now begin ignoring the dent in the hull. Can't see it in the water. It'll probably disappear anyhow.

That's my repair strategy whenever possible. It works. :)

Tempest

Member I
On my previous 73' E-27 I eliminated the troublesome cast aluminum brackets and spreaders and the mast dimples they cause. I fabricated a stainless steel saddle that fit around the mast and welded on stainless brackets I purchased from Dyer masts. I also purchased Dyer spreaders to fit the new brackets. It was many years ago but I do still have a couple of photos.
That looks good. The Dwyer bases look good and are reasonably priced. My stock spreaders looks good so I'm hoping the fittings will work with them. You welded them on though, eh? It looks like they have between 4 and 6 bolt holes (depending on model) so I was thinking I could just bolt em on... but I'm not sure how you'd get nuts on the inside... drill & tap I guess. Or those threaded rivet fasteners.
Good. I would now begin ignoring the dent in the hull. Can't see it in the water. It'll probably disappear anyhow.

That's my repair strategy whenever possible. It works. :)
yeah, I've had a few people say to me that the dent may take care of it's self. I'm going to fix the trailer and get her in the water. We'll see what happens. Worst case scenario I'll take the heat to 'er if it doesn't come out on it's own.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Dwyer spreader brackets

The original spreaders won't work with the Dwyer brackets without major modification. You're better off simplifying things and going with the Dwyer spreaders if affordable. I sold my old spreaders and brackets to a fellow forum member. You could do the same.

Vagabond39

Member III
dwyer

TEMPEST:
Stay away from the Dwyer brackets.
I went up to their address. A single bay in a 4 or 5 firm small building. Two men were engaged in conversation, One turned out to be the delivery man, for delivery company. Their brackets are more suitable for a small sailing dingy, The Dwyer employee was the one that gave me an address for a forge operator.
If you go with theeeeeeeir brackest, you will need their spreaders to fit them 5 degree angle on the brackets.
Biff Ballenger Spars uses a AL block through the mast that his spreaders bolt to. Also 5 degree upward lift to even out the angles for the uppers.
P. S. Did you pick Tempest from Shakespear'e Tempest in a Teapot?
Bob

Tempest

Member I
The original spreaders won't work with the Dwyer brackets without major modification. You're better off simplifying things and going with the Dwyer spreaders if affordable. I sold my old spreaders and brackets to a fellow forum member. You could do the same.
The Dwyer spreaders aren't bad for price so I could buy the whole setup but I was hoping to avoid it.
TEMPEST:
Stay away from the Dwyer brackets.
I went up to their address. A single bay in a 4 or 5 firm small building. Two men were engaged in conversation, One turned out to be the delivery man, for delivery company. Their brackets are more suitable for a small sailing dingy, The Dwyer employee was the one that gave me an address for a forge operator.
If you go with theeeeeeeir brackest, you will need their spreaders to fit them 5 degree angle on the brackets.
Biff Ballenger Spars uses a AL block through the mast that his spreaders bolt to. Also 5 degree upward lift to even out the angles for the uppers.
P. S. Did you pick Tempest from Shakespear'e Tempest in a Teapot?
Bob
Really? They don't look much different from the stock Ericson spreaders and bases so I'm not sure why you would say they're only good for a dinghy.

The Ballanger setup is WAY more expensive and sounds like more work to install.

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
When I went through this same calculation on the E27, I too thought the Dwyer spreader brackets and spreaders were very lightly built. I can attest that Buzz Ballengers through bar system is very stout and takes all the compression load of the spreaders off the mast, which makes a lot of sense. And you can use the same spreaders. There are some bracket designs in stainless steel that were on this website in an early thread, but I can't find them here now.

Last edited:

Tempest

Member I
When I went through this same calculation on the E27, I too thought the Dwyer spreader brackets and spreaders were very lightly built. I can attest that Buzz Ballengers through bar system is very stout and takes all the compression load of the spreaders off the mast, which makes a lot of sense. And you can use the same spreaders. There are some bracket designs in stainless steel that were on this website in an early thread, but I can't find them here now.
Well he didn't mention anything about being able to reuse my spreaders and whoever I talked to on the phone wasn't very helpful. Your 27 is also 2 steps up from my 23, all of the same gear was used on the 23, 25 & 27 and the Dwyer stuff looks as good or better than the stock gear.

In any case, the loads being taken by the spreaders shouldn't be that high and there is a compression fitting inside the mast which should do a fine job of transferring the load to the other side.

Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Dwyer Components

The last I heard my, Dwyer component equipped, mast on my previous E-27 was still erect and actively plying the waters of Lake Champlain. Are there more "robust" components out there? Certainly. Are they absolutely necessary? Maybe, if you intend to circumnavigate. I believe that those Dwyer "sailing dinghy" components will be more then adequate for the E-23. I had the opportunity to do a drop in visit of the Garhauer operation out in California. Mid morning, nobody in the office, I was there for fifteen minutes looking around alone, took a catalog and left. They are in a couple of single story buildings in an industrial section of town. I've purchased from Garhauer. Appearances aren't worth squat in my opinion.

Tempest

Member I
The last I heard my, Dwyer component equipped, mast on my previous E-27 was still erect and actively plying the waters of Lake Champlain. Are there more "robust" components out there? Certainly. Are they absolutely necessary? Maybe, if you intend to circumnavigate. I believe that those Dwyer "sailing dinghy" components will be more then adequate for the E-23. I had the opportunity to do a drop in visit of the Garhauer operation out in California. Mid morning, nobody in the office, I was there for fifteen minutes looking around alone, took a catalog and left. They are in a couple of single story buildings in an industrial section of town. I've purchased from Garhauer. Appearances aren't worth squat in my opinion.
OK, these are pretty much my thoughts exactly. The smaller spreaders may not be long enough for my needs anyway so, for an extra $20 per side, I may have to go with the larger spreaders which would be fine as they are closer in size to the originals. They still use the same mounting brackets which are only really there to stop the bases from sliding off the mast anyway so I'm sure they will be fine.

Does anyone know where a guy could get a new rudder gugeon and pin for the upper unit? Some dummy bent the crap out of the one on my boat (no idea how you would even do that) so it really needs to be replaced. I guess I could throw it in the vice and try to straighten it out but it may be better to just replace it.

Tempest

Member I
Ugh, it never ends. Looks like I'm missing the goosneck slide for the mast too and the gooseneck is all bent up. Maybe a local shop might have something kicking around.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Gooseneck repair can be a challenge. A photo of the existing damaged part would help. Also, the manufacturer of your boom, or if the label is gone, photos of the section or the ends so we can guess what it is (Gooseneck fittings tend to be proprietary to the spar maker).

Tempest

Member I
Pretty sure they're all Kenyon parts. I called Rig Rite today and they said they are "low on stock" for the part I need and also couldn't give me a price. They said they were going to call me back so hopefully I hear from them. Looks like I need their K-1685A. If they don't get back to me I guess I'll have to get something fabed locally.

I'm hoping I can straighten out the goose neck with a BFH. Worst case scenario I'll have to drill the pin out and then tig it back in. Hopefully it doesn't come to that but it may be a challenge to straighten otherwise.