Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New E23-2 Owner! Have some tech questions

Contributing Member I

New E23-2 Owner! Have some tech questions

Hey Guys,

I bought a '78(?) E23-2 last night and I've got some questions I'm hoping you'll be able to help me with.

So my understanding is that Ericson went out of business in the '90s. Where can we get parts? I need a new spreader base (casting that's used to mount the spreader to the mast).

Is there anywhere I can get a manual? I downloaded a copy of the sail plan data and the mast raising guide from the site here but word is there's a manual floating around out there in the ether. I emailed the fellow mentioned in the Sailing Magazine article but who knows how old that info is.

I have a dent in the starboard side from the trailer bunk as the boat has been out of the water for about 4 years, according to the PO. Has anyone encountered this problem before and is there a good way to rectify the situation?

Thanks! Looking forward to doing some more reading and posting here

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20170518_185033.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	22097Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20170518_185752.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	22098

Blog Entries
    Welcome aboard.

Need to know more about the distortion of the hull. Have you had the boat off the trailer yet? What's the situation look like from the inside?

You've probably seen these threads. E23 owners will know more.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...cson-23-Manual

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...3-owners-group

When you're ready, just bring up the issues one by one as they appear. Photos really help.
    Last edited by Christian Williams; 05-19-2017 at 12:33 PM.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    "Alone Together--the Book" trailer here

Principal Partner

Tempest

Welcome Aboard:
    I am getting ready to see about having spreader castings made. The mast and spreaders are comon to the E 23, 25, and 27. And the castings apperar to be a common failure (& age).
    Good luck, and enjoy.
    Bob
    Bob Barry
    E23 II Tohatsu 6
    Gypsy Rose

Contributing Member I
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Williams View Post
    Welcome aboard.

Need to know more about the distortion of the hull. Have you had the boat off the trailer yet? What's the situation look like from the inside?

You've probably seen these threads. E23 owners will know more.

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...cson-23-Manual

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexc...3-owners-group

When you're ready, just bring up the issues one by one as they appear. Photos really help.
    Thanks

Nope, she hasn't been off the trailer yet. Got a guy coming to look at the rigging on Wednesday.

dent looks fine from the inside. It's actually hard to see. Glass look fine other than being able to kinda tell that it's pushed in.

Bob Boe just got a hold of me and I'm going to buy a manual from him.

Name:	P_20170518_191049_1.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	22106Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20170518_200451.jpg 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	22107Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20170518_202012.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	22108Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20170522_120802.jpg 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	22109Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20170522_120713.jpg 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	22110

Contributing Member I
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond39 View Post
    Welcome Aboard:
    I am getting ready to see about having spreader castings made. The mast and spreaders are comon to the E 23, 25, and 27. And the castings apperar to be a common failure (& age).
    Good luck, and enjoy.
    Bob
    Thanks! Well if you're having spreader castings made put me down for one!! I definitely need a new one!

Name:	P_20170522_115546.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	22111Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20170522_115529.jpg 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	22112

Spreader Bracket Castings

On my previous 73' E-27 I eliminated the troublesome cast aluminum brackets and spreaders and the mast dimples they cause. I fabricated a stainless steel saddle that fit around the mast and welded on stainless brackets I purchased from Dyer masts. I also purchased Dyer spreaders to fit the new brackets. It was many years ago but I do still have a couple of photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0018 (640x480).jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	22113   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0019.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	22114   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PICT0021.JPG 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	22115  
    Last edited by Afrakes; 05-23-2017 at 01:54 AM.
    Al Frakes
    1987 E-28 Reba Gee
    Hull #663
    Port Kent, NY

Blog Entries
    Good. I would now begin ignoring the dent in the hull. Can't see it in the water. It'll probably disappear anyhow.

That's my repair strategy whenever possible. It works.
    Thelonious II, E381 hull 513 (1984) Universal 5432
    Table of Contents for Thelonious Blog here
    "Alone Together--the Book" trailer here

Contributing Member I
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrakes View Post
    On my previous 73' E-27 I eliminated the troublesome cast aluminum brackets and spreaders and the mast dimples they cause. I fabricated a stainless steel saddle that fit around the mast and welded on stainless brackets I purchased from Dyer masts. I also purchased Dyer spreaders to fit the new brackets. It was many years ago but I do still have a couple of photos.
    That looks good. The Dwyer bases look good and are reasonably priced. My stock spreaders looks good so I'm hoping the fittings will work with them. You welded them on though, eh? It looks like they have between 4 and 6 bolt holes (depending on model) so I was thinking I could just bolt em on... but I'm not sure how you'd get nuts on the inside... drill & tap I guess. Or those threaded rivet fasteners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Williams View Post
    Good. I would now begin ignoring the dent in the hull. Can't see it in the water. It'll probably disappear anyhow.

That's my repair strategy whenever possible. It works.
    yeah, I've had a few people say to me that the dent may take care of it's self. I'm going to fix the trailer and get her in the water. We'll see what happens. Worst case scenario I'll take the heat to 'er if it doesn't come out on it's own.

Dwyer spreader brackets

The original spreaders won't work with the Dwyer brackets without major modification. You're better off simplifying things and going with the Dwyer spreaders if affordable. I sold my old spreaders and brackets to a fellow forum member. You could do the same.
    Al Frakes
    1987 E-28 Reba Gee
    Hull #663
    Port Kent, NY

Principal Partner

dwyer

TEMPEST:
    Stay away from the Dwyer brackets.
    I went up to their address. A single bay in a 4 or 5 firm small building. Two men were engaged in conversation, One turned out to be the delivery man, for delivery company. Their brackets are more suitable for a small sailing dingy, The Dwyer employee was the one that gave me an address for a forge operator.
    If you go with theeeeeeeir brackest, you will need their spreaders to fit them 5 degree angle on the brackets.
    Biff Ballenger Spars uses a AL block through the mast that his spreaders bolt to. Also 5 degree upward lift to even out the angles for the uppers.
    P. S. Did you pick Tempest from Shakespear'e Tempest in a Teapot?
    Bob
    Bob Barry
    E23 II Tohatsu 6
    Gypsy Rose

Curator of Broken Parts toddster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Shakespeare's in the teapot?
    s/v arcturus E29 #134

Contributing Member I
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrakes View Post
    The original spreaders won't work with the Dwyer brackets without major modification. You're better off simplifying things and going with the Dwyer spreaders if affordable. I sold my old spreaders and brackets to a fellow forum member. You could do the same.
    The Dwyer spreaders aren't bad for price so I could buy the whole setup but I was hoping to avoid it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond39 View Post
    TEMPEST:
    Stay away from the Dwyer brackets.
    I went up to their address. A single bay in a 4 or 5 firm small building. Two men were engaged in conversation, One turned out to be the delivery man, for delivery company. Their brackets are more suitable for a small sailing dingy, The Dwyer employee was the one that gave me an address for a forge operator.
    If you go with theeeeeeeir brackest, you will need their spreaders to fit them 5 degree angle on the brackets.
    Biff Ballenger Spars uses a AL block through the mast that his spreaders bolt to. Also 5 degree upward lift to even out the angles for the uppers.
    P. S. Did you pick Tempest from Shakespear'e Tempest in a Teapot?
    Bob
    Really? They don't look much different from the stock Ericson spreaders and bases so I'm not sure why you would say they're only good for a dinghy.

The Ballanger setup is WAY more expensive and sounds like more work to install.

Blog Entries
    When I went through this same calculation on the E27, I too thought the Dwyer spreader brackets and spreaders were very lightly built. I can attest that Buzz Ballengers through bar system is very stout and takes all the compression load of the spreaders off the mast, which makes a lot of sense. And you can use the same spreaders. There are some bracket designs in stainless steel that were on this website in an early thread, but I can't find them here now.
    Last edited by bigd14; 05-25-2017 at 07:15 PM.
    1984 Ericson 30+
    Hull #651

Formerly 1972 Ericson 27

Contributing Member I
    Quote Originally Posted by bigd14 View Post
    When I went through this same calculation on the E27, I too thought the Dwyer spreader brackets and spreaders were very lightly built. I can attest that Buzz Ballengers through bar system is very stout and takes all the compression load of the spreaders off the mast, which makes a lot of sense. And you can use the same spreaders. There are some bracket designs in stainless steel that were on this website in an early thread, but I can't find them here now.
    Well he didn't mention anything about being able to reuse my spreaders and whoever I talked to on the phone wasn't very helpful. Your 27 is also 2 steps up from my 23, all of the same gear was used on the 23, 25 & 27 and the Dwyer stuff looks as good or better than the stock gear.

In any case, the loads being taken by the spreaders shouldn't be that high and there is a compression fitting inside the mast which should do a fine job of transferring the load to the other side.
    Last edited by Tempest; 05-25-2017 at 10:33 PM.

Dwyer Components

The last I heard my, Dwyer component equipped, mast on my previous E-27 was still erect and actively plying the waters of Lake Champlain. Are there more "robust" components out there? Certainly. Are they absolutely necessary? Maybe, if you intend to circumnavigate. I believe that those Dwyer "sailing dinghy" components will be more then adequate for the E-23. I had the opportunity to do a drop in visit of the Garhauer operation out in California. Mid morning, nobody in the office, I was there for fifteen minutes looking around alone, took a catalog and left. They are in a couple of single story buildings in an industrial section of town. I've purchased from Garhauer. Appearances aren't worth squat in my opinion.
    Al Frakes
    1987 E-28 Reba Gee
    Hull #663
    Port Kent, NY