• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Replacement Key for 1992 PSC E-34-II with Volvo Penta Engine?

bkuchinic

Member II
"NOMAD" was acquired last December and launched last week (followed shortly thereafter by a ~35 nm voyage from Waukegan, IL to her summer mooring in North Monroe Harbor, Chicago). The boat was purchased with one very well-worn ignition key, and I'm interested in having a duplicate and backup key made. NOMAD was repowered years ago; the current engine is a 28 HP Volvo Penta (or 30 hp per the prior owner). I plan to photograph the engine ID plate tomorrow. Would anyone on the forum be able to provide information about how or where I might have duplicate keys made? Unfortunately there are no identifying marks on the key but for the following visible letters (the others being hidden behind the foam gasket):

Line one: NEIMA
Line two: W. GERM

Thank you!

Brad

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Why not just change the ignition switch on the cockpit panel. Original is probably end of life anyhow.

You could choose key or push-pull. Reasons for using a key escape me anyhow. Won't stop theft, one more thing to lose.

HerbertFriedman

Member III
I just replaced the ignition switch on my 87 E34, Part number 300671, Cole Hersee. It came with two new keys. If you cannot duplicate the key or get some serial number to Cole Hersee, you might have purchaser a new switch.

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Control panel

Is the key specific to the Volvo engine control panel? If so, search for key blanks for that panel's switch if the switch is still in good condition. If the switch is worn, take the advice offered, and change it out. Who steals old sail boats? Doesn't seem like a profitable endeavor.

bkuchinic

Member II
Thank you all for the useful advice. I'm sure the panel is original, including the ignition switch (likely used with the original power plant) and in poor shape. I'll try to figure out how to replace it. I will stick with a key since NOMAD is only a short swim or borrowed dingy ride from the busy public Chicago waterfront. Given this is my first boat I may be over-cautious. It's probably less likely for someone to steal the boat than to start it while the intake seacock is closed. I couldn't find the Cole Hersee switch mentioned - the M-550 (at Defender) may do the trick. I don't know how much I should experiment with the position of the wires on the switch terminals.

Brad

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A little paranoia is not a bad thing...
:rolleyes:

When we bought our boat in '94, in Alameda, CA, it had no engine key. I could see where it was when new, but there was only a heavy duty Cole-Hersee push/pull on and off switch. It's still there and working fine.

Later, I got a bit paranoid about leaving the boat at public marinas when we are cruising and installed a basic two pole power switch behind that panel inside a lazaretto where it is out of sight and locked. Probably overkill, but I figured that if an evil-doer boarded and activated that engine switch, he would find that nothing would turn on.

Or, yet another instance of "over thinking" a problem!
:)

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Loren, thank you. That sounds like an optimal solution for my situation.
Brad

Brad,
One caveat about advice from strangers on the internet.... application details may differ.... our particular engine (Universal diesel) has a separate push button for the glow plugs, whereas some other models have that function built into a spring-return switch that is part of the key rotation.
So, have a look at your panel backside and the documentation for your engine and be sure of what is activated when the key is switched 'on'. There might be more than one action taking place.
Regards,
Loren

bkuchinic

Member II
Brad,
One caveat about advice from strangers on the internet.... application details may differ.... our particular engine (Universal diesel) has a separate push button for the glow plugs, whereas some other models have that function built into a spring-return switch that is part of the key rotation.
So, have a look at your panel backside and the documentation for your engine and be sure of what is activated when the key is switched 'on'. There might be more than one action taking place.
Regards,
Loren

Thank you for the additional information Loren. I'll investigate thoroughly before proceeding.
Best regards,
Brad

EGregerson

Member III
volvo

HI; I lost a key. The replacement volvo for my D1-30, 28 Hp ignition was $75 at a dealer up in NY. didn't buy it thinking I might just convert to a Cole Hersee or some such. Is your dash similar to this one? I was told you can't get the key duplicated anywhere. Before swapping out the ignition, i want to verify the number of poles it needs. e.g. On, glow plugs, start. Then all the way left to shut it down. So I would guess 4. I have a plastic tag on the key ring with the spare; it contains the code. I suspect the previous owner of your boat has a key ring somewhere with that code tag on it.

Attachments

• Control PanelA.jpg
    Control PanelA.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:

bkuchinic

Member II
An update on this project: The ignition switch performs multiple functions including activating the glow plugs. The prior owner did not have the key codes, and I'd like to replace the ignition switch with a compatible replacement part. While I'm at it I decided to incorporate replacement of other control panel parts. I just posted this project under a separate thread. Here is a copy of the wiring diagram and line drawing of my panel from my engine owner's manual:

View attachment Volvo Penta MD2030 Wiring Diagrams Instrument panei with ignition switch.pdf

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Vye a key? Or as the Romans said, viaduct? Or as Grocho Marx said, Vye a duck?

Alternatives are a kill switch below, or a kill switch under a locked lazarette cover.

With such a switch, if you lock the boat on departure, a push-pull ignition switch is all you need.

Security? It's a five-minute job to hot-wire a sailboat, if somebody wants to break in and steal it and what, put it on eBay?

Looting of gear is more likely, which a hefty lock on the companionway also deters.

Last edited:

bkuchinic

Member II
Christian, thank you very much for your suggestion. Unexpectedly I’ll be listing Nomad for sale in the near future. I believe the next owner will prefer the original setup for the starter. My E34II is my first sailboat, and it was an excellent choice. I had the opportunity to purchase a Crealock cutter that I fell in love with, and I pulled the trigger this past weekend. I’ll close on her within the next two weeks, and I can’t keep up with two boats! I will sorely miss the sage counsel I’ve received from you and the other contributors here since December 2016. I have not found a similar forum for PSC Crealocks so I’ll be more or less on my own. It’s highly likely I’ll continue to lurk around ‘here’ - if that’s permitted.

bkuchinic

Member II
Solution Found

Thank you for all the help.

Resolution: I found all the parts I need for my instrument panel on the volvopentastore.com under my engine model number MD2030-D. Ordering the key itself requires a code, only ordering is only available through a dealer. I called volvopentastore.com technical support and spoke with Max Vasquez, and he directed me to an extremely helpful dealer in Chicago: Chicago Yacht Works. I spoke with Patrick 312-666-4334. During the call we decided that the sticker on the back of my starter switch showing 6 numbers just might be the key code. His system accepted that number, and a spare key is on order for arrival in a few days.

Brad

paul k

hi Brad - it appears you no longer own Nomad, but it seems this was the boat used in Practical Sailor's review of the E34-2. Any chance we could have an offline conversation about the boat - or actually it would be great to talk to anyone on this thread about the Ericson 34.
Tx Paul