• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

I have a bigger boat...

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
Actually, same boat. It just feels bigger now.

Last fall I realized just how "big" I had gotten, when I tried to squeeze into the aft lazarette to inspect the fuel-fill hose.... and nearly got stuck. Quite humbling.

In fact, Christian may recall one of my first questions to him was whether or not the 32 was "big enough" to move around in. I'd visited another 32-III before meeting Thelonious, and one of my initial impressions was that the passage from main saloon to v-berth, and the head compartment, were uncomfortably narrow.

Took me a while to realize - and even longer to accept - that the boat was perfectly fine. I had let myself get too damn big.

Decided to do something about it. And the something I landed on was "stop eating crap".

Went cold-turkey on cookies and donuts and candy and jelly-bellies and cheetos and mashed potatoes and rice bowls and...and switched to "good" food. Steaks and omelettes and cheese and meats and seafood and green veggies and berries and nuts. And bacon. I love bacon.

And learned to not eat unless I was actually hungry. And stop eating before i was full. What radical concepts!

Long story short, I now weigh fully a third less than I did this time last year. And it hasn't actually been difficult. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, why have pringles when I can have prime rib? And doctor was delighted with the change in my "numbers" at my annual physical.

It's fun to walk into meetings where there are people I haven't seen for a while... and watch them try to figure out who I am.

But what's really fun is to walk around Makana now. She feels so much bigger!

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Actually, same boat. It just feels bigger now.

Last fall I realized just how "big" I had gotten, when I tried to squeeze into the aft lazarette to inspect the fuel-fill hose.... and nearly got stuck. Quite humbling.

In fact, Christian may recall one of my first questions to him was whether or not the 32 was "big enough" to move around in. I'd visited another 32-III before meeting Thelonious, and one of my initial impressions was that the passage from main saloon to v-berth, and the head compartment, were uncomfortably narrow.

Took me a while to realize - and even longer to accept - that the boat was perfectly fine. I had let myself get too damn big.

Decided to do something about it. And the something I landed on was "stop eating crap".

Went cold-turkey on cookies and donuts and candy and jelly-bellies and cheetos and mashed potatoes and rice bowls and...and switched to "good" food. Steaks and omelettes and cheese and meats and seafood and green veggies and berries and nuts. And bacon. I love bacon.

And learned to not eat unless I was actually hungry. And stop eating before i was full. What radical concepts!

Long story short, I now weigh fully a third less than I did this time last year. And it hasn't actually been difficult. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, why have pringles when I can have prime rib? And doctor was delighted with the change in my "numbers" at my annual physical.

It's fun to walk into meetings where there are people I haven't seen for a while... and watch them try to figure out who I am.

But what's really fun is to walk around Makana now. She feels so much bigger!
Congrats on your new, larger boat! :) I, too, have been LCHF for a while and feel great. I've lost weight as well, but definitely could stand to shed some more. But I'm sure I do fit a bit better into my little vee berth than I had previously!

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I'm very pleased for you! That's not easy to do--takes will power and commitment, but it is very worthwhile, as most people in our western society are much too large and unhealthy. Most of us feel better when we are a bit lighter, and it's definitely healthier and will lead to a longer life with better quality of life.

And also very importantly, less weight on the boat will make her sail faster!!! :)

Frank

Bolo

Contributing Partner
I laughed out loud

Your story made me laugh out loud while having my morning coffee because I too own a E32 and have gotten almost stuck in the aft lazzerate. Mine happened when I was trying to find the source of a leak. Funny how over the years in your mind's eye you sometimes think you have the same "body" as you did when you were in your 20s or 30s. But all those years of eating "Tastykakes" and cheesesteaks (I grew up in Philadelphia) caught up with me. Now for the sake of my BP and heart I rarely eat any of that crap and stick to real food. Although I just can't resist having a real Philly cheesesteak once in a blue moon when I visit home. I still have a stubborn 15 lbs that I can't seem to shed. I hit that wall and no matter what I do (even working out 2 to 3 times a week at the gym to stay in shape for sailing) I can't drop that extra weight. :mad: