• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Keel question

bruce v

I am presently outhauled with my new (to us) 1984 E30+. I have discovered some keel damaged that includes some tearing along the bottom edge and separation at the attachment of the keel to the hull. It looks as though she was grounded pretty hard (perhaps more than once) and left w/o attempts at repair. I am sure the keel is wet but seem to be structurally sound. I am wanting to drill drain holes dry her out and affect repairs. But I am now considering some modifications. As my wife and I are planning the Great Loop and some time in the shallow waters of the Keys and Caribbean, I like to reduce the draft. I know that the Ericsons came with both regular and shoal draft models (my 29 had 4'11" and the 23 had 4'3"). This one is 5'10" which will be tight in many spots on the Loop and preclude other spots entirely. I guess what I am looking for is input on shaving this damaged keel down by a foot (yes, I know I need to maintain the ballast weight for balance but thought of putting on "bulbs" at the lowered level to maintain the weight that would be removed. Doable? Please let me know. I'll be out and doing repairs and upgrades for the month of May and can reall use any inputs from others in the know. Thanks, Bruce V

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Other EY boats have had the "split bulb" draft reduction done by Mars Keels.
https://marskeel.com/production/repair-modifications/draft-reductions/

I do not know of any complaints with the result.

I did a preliminary inquiry over a decade ago when contemplating reducing our draft by a foot, and an experienced yard manager told me to have at least 8K on hand (!). Probably more now.

It's a lot of money for us, and there are not many places in the NW where we really need it. So, we plan our routes around the tides and watch our charts carefully.
:rolleyes:

Regards,
Loren

e38 owner

Member III
would not reduce draft

Our neighbor reduced the draft on his 30+ with a bulb
Not great results on the 30+
Boat is heaver, Slower and more tender.
Because of the large main on the boat he did not end up with a great result