• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Cockpit cushions?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I've never been a fan. But maybe things have changed.

In the past, the issues were:

--Slid off the bench when boat heeled over
--Soft cushion made for an unsteady step from deck to cockpit
--Yet another storage issue
--Footprints from deck shoes, dew, potato chips
--Clammy feel

So--how thick? What kind of foam? What nonskid for the bottoms? What material?

What works for you?

supersailor

Contributing Partner
18"X18" throwable for those crewing that need a soft bottom. Good backrest on back of cabin. Easy to store. Good for man overboard drill.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Mine have snaps on the bottom outboard ends that hold them in place so that they do not slide when heeled. The male snaps are mounted to the boat but are outboard enough to where they do not pose problems when sitting on the cockpit seats without the cushions in place.

I have not found them slippery. The biggest pain is storing them, an issue especially acute on a 26' boat. Plus, it represents one more thing to clean at the end of a trip. On balance I think they are worth it, both when out sailing and particularly when lounging at anchor. But I could also see why someone might not want to bother with them.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Cockpit Cushions

Hi Respected Sailors
3-4 inch thick foam cushions very important for napping on the mooring. Sunbrella slippery when new but throw-rug anti slip material from craft store fixes that pretty good. Sizing important to minimize slippage. Leave room for two 18X18 throwables on each cockpit bench. One for a backrest on the cabin and one flat on the cockpit bench under the backrest. The four 18X18 very important for MOB as Bob suggested. We have a life sling but crew would deploy the 18X18 cockpit cushions a lot faster. We had vinyl before the sunbrella and it did not slip at all.
Best Regards
Pat O'Connell
1981 E28+ Universal 5411

Last edited:

JSM

Member III
Had vinyl never slid but it was hot and sweaty to sit on. We currently have Sunbrella and use rug anti slip under them to keep them from sliding.
Ideally I would go Sunbrella on the tops and sides and vinyl on the bottoms to keep them from sliding.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Sunbrella Cockpit Cushions

Hi Respected Sailors
Just got a Sunbrella update from Wife and Sister In Law. We have dark blue Sunbrella because they look good.. I guess it gets hot to lie on in the sun??? I never noticed it and got the consequence of a earfull. I have no idea if the other colors are any cooler.
Best Regards
Pat 1981 E28+ Universal 5411

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I eventually made the cushions out of Sailrite Seabrook vinyl, with vinyl piping. New 3" foam, same size as OEM cockpit cushions.

The original cushions used a 5' wide cross cushion to cover the bridge deck, which made the seat cushions 18" shorter.

I couldn't see the need for a cushion in front of the companionway, or for the hill-and-dale cushion that originally connected the helm and stern quarter seats.

The vinyl stays put, cool, and doesn't slide around much. It isn't humid here and doesn't rain at all in summer. These cushions can't get soaking wet, since I used single-bed foam.

Local needs prevail. I thought Sunbrella would get stained pretty fast when walked on.

vinyl cushions.jpg

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Sunbrella Cushions

Hi Christian
Uh forgot to mention that crew noticed a stain on the blue Sunbrella Cushions. We could not clean it up :<{(((

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I've never been a fan. But maybe things have changed.

In the past, the issues were:

--Slid off the bench when boat heeled over
--Soft cushion made for an unsteady step from deck to cockpit
--Yet another storage issue
--Footprints from deck shoes, dew, potato chips
--Clammy feel

So--how thick? What kind of foam? What nonskid for the bottoms? What material?

What works for you?

A very nice looking solution. I hope they work out for you. We use throwable cushions for the cockpit, seat and back rests. We have a pretty good lazarette to stuff them into. Generally, we use them only at rest or motoring since they do slide or get in the way under sail. I have to use the formerly white ones while the mate gets the blue ones.

Do you like that helm seat with the hump?
What kind of potato chips leave foot prints? Have you fried Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head?!

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Craig, I am very glad you asked about the hump. It is no good for steering whilst seated behind the wheel, which can't be done anyhow except in movies. One false move when sitting down results in a butt-slide that will cause peals of laughter across the cockpit. Kneeling on the ski jump back there to perform a local task is preposterously weird and discombobulating. Any cushion looks like a ride at Disney World. And the whole business looks silly.

However, there is a lot of room under the center hatch, where I fit all my too-many covers. And the side seats are quite comfortable, if you can get anybody to sit there. Good for steering to windward, and you can see the genoa.

Overall, in my opinion (no! these are facts!), a design fad of the era.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Camel on E28+

Hi Christian Your post on the Ericson Camel was very concerning. When we bought the boat in 81 the yard foreman asked if we wanted a Camel Seat as all the "big boats" had them. I said "of course" where I got the money is long forgotten. Yard foreman built it custom out of teak and it works pretty """" good! Prestige wise I can sit on the camel and expound on my few sailing stories for many hours. The same crew has been in awe for over 30 years. We thought the camel was a prestige thing? :<{)))
Best Regards
Pat
1981 E28+ Universal 5411

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hmmm. Maybe my family is tired of my stories because I have been sitting in the wrong place.

I will try robes, like Lawrence of Arabia.

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I added a helm hump to Lotus Flower and like it. Without the hump I had to brace my feet against the downhill side to keep from sliding in heavy winds. If I were to make another one I would make it 3/4" taller.

Attachments

• helmseat6.jpg
    helmseat6.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 229