• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

'73 E32 MkII - Complete - Electrical re-wiring

kapnkd

kapnkd
In my and (engineer) son's efforts to replace a fwd lower shroud attachment bulkhead, it quickly became the "WHILE WE ARE AT IT" that quickly turned into "THE NEVER ENDING PROJECT" which has become a COMPLETE re-fit of our E32 Mk II which was purchased new back in '73.

One part of this includes the electrical in which we removed ALL the old AC & DC wiring to relocate it to a new area with enough room to accommodate a new Blue Seas Panel with more gadgets and gizmos (for me at least) than Scotty's Star Trek Engineering Room!

The E32 II's originally had a small 6 or 8 switch electric panel in back of the galley on a bulkhead by the aft cockpit lazarette. The newer update would not fit at all, so it was decided to redesign as a replacement to fit in the original port rr qtr berth locker storage area (photo attached).

We designed a panel that would drop down for easy access to wiring and also included a small area to store wallets and I-phones etc in along with the AM/FM/CD and VHF as well as 12V/USB and 120vAC outlets. (Note we attached a piece of Starboard at the back to attach upcoming wiring to as needed.)

The original top shelf railing was recycled to create another storage area at the base (with a little re-working) that has a removable floor to allow access to wiring leading up from the now 3 battery locker below it.

All that remains for us at this point is running all the physical wiring to the various functions. HOPEFULLY, we WILL be sailing this summer!!

E32 RrQtrBrth Locker.JPGNew E32 Electric Panel1.jpgNew E32 Electric Panel2.jpgWallet & I-Phone Storage.JPG

Attachments

• Looking Aft with new side liner in place.JPG
    Looking Aft with new side liner in place.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 96

kapnkd

kapnkd
wow, very nice!

Thanks! ...It was a lot of work - especially measuring to insure it all fit. We've got a lot more to add regarding our "Never Ending Project". Next comes our compression post fix. (My Ericson didn't have the compression post hit the keel solidly and thus the main brace in the headliner cracked on me on mid way to the Bahamas on my first trip. My son and I resolved the issue when we replaced all the bulkheads.)

kapnkd

kapnkd
Agreed, very nice.. I need to get busy!

John
1975 E35-ll
DIJAN

If I remember correctly, our boats are similar in interior layout. I saved my mylar panel layout drawing which (I think) can be turned into a blue line should you need one??

kapnkd

kapnkd
BTW... We also added a fan to help keep the circuitry cool. It is temperature sensitive as well and only comes on as needed to what we set it at. It's located on the backside of the panel compartment, draws air from underneath openings in the panel structure, pulls the air across the board and out to the side.

Electrical Panel Colling Fan.jpgElectrical Panel Colling Fan Cover.jpg

Last edited: