• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

This weekends objectives...

Thursty30

Member II
- remove sliding companionway hatch to bring home and hopefully restore, replace if necessary. I am going to bring a sheet of ply wood and some tarp to cover this and my port lights until I replace them.

- Remove port lights to bring home, restore before re-bedding. I haven't paid much attention to the condition of the glass, I read in one of the threads here that replacing the glass with lexan/acrylic is not strait forward so hopefully that is not necessary.

- Map existing plumbing, plan new thru hull locations, and make material list. I don't think I mentioned this, but when I was lifting my motor out last weekend, I accidentally captured the bilge hose under the motor with the straps. I didn't realize it until I had jacked the motor up off the mounts. I was anxious to unload my boom so instead of landing and re-rigging I just cut it. Had not planned on re routing that, but may now that I have to replace the hose any way. The biggest head scratcher is how to route my soon to be oversize cockpit scuppers. I have read every thread I could find and compiled the ideas/photos for reference this weekend when I have my boat in front of me. The only thing every one seemed to agree on was the general physics of how these are supposed to work. If any one has done this with success on their E-29 divided cockpit I would love to hear what the final product was and lessons learned. I do have the photos of Jkenan's set up, but they are far from an isometric diagram.

- Start general cleaning as I go so I am not laying in gunk while working.

- Begin to prep hull for polishing, remove vinyl lettering on transom. I ordered the awlwash/awlcare products. The hull/paint are in good condition, just a little tired. I could probably leave it but i can't get over how good it would look with brand new sails and a glossy free-board. I am going to try and polish my hull back to life (despite the warnings) and then add a coat of awlcare, per http://boatworkstoday.com/archives/1795 If it doesn't work I will wet sand and re-prime/top coat, if it does I will have saved some time/money even if I only get another year or 2 of shine. Some one please talk me out of this. It is driven purely by vanity, I am sure the ultimate cost will be my sanity if I botch the polish job.

- Inspect/identify deck hardware that will need to be replaced/relocated. All will be re-bedded eventually, but I will likely wait until I am on the water and do it one piece at a time after an evening sail. I plan to sleep most nights on my boat once I launch, it dramatically reduces my commute in the mornings.

- Take some measurements of the prop shaft for new cutlass bearing and PSS shaft seal.

- If I still have time I am going to start mapping the existing/proposed electrical, and making a material list for that as well. I plan to add a solar array this summer once I get my arch built, should I be giving any consideration to the design of the electrical system in front of the batteries knowing it will be solar in the near future? In my mind 12v DC is 12v DC downstream of the battery regardless of the charging source.

Time to get aggressive, I am mostly publishing this list to hold my self accountable. I am hoping to have my motor back by mid June and launch before July. I will still have many miles left to walk at that point, but at least I will be able to sail. :cheers:

Bink

Member I
Thursty-

Best of luck with your projects.

I am a new owner of a well-loved 1977, E-27 and have similar concerns as you- thank you for raising them in the forum.

I have just this month:

1. Replaced the port lights with surface mounted, smoked Plexiglas. In my opinion, a cleaner, less maintenance and overall better application than the original lights.

2. Re bedded all stanchions. If one leaks...... This was not that bad of a job and I suggest you do it pre-season esp. if you are living on the boat. I noticed leaks near the Port galley and the STBD 1/4 berth.

3. New hatches- Lewmar S40 w/ screen/ trim kit

4. Handrails- Removed, varnished and re bedded (exterior and interior). This was not that bad of a job

I need to tackle the electrical.

Cheers,

Bink

alcodiesel

Bill McLean
Good heavens, Thursty! Just reading your list and imagining how big each one is wore me out. Then I read your age. OK, ...I get it. You are inspiration. Best wishes.

Thursty30

Member II
It really is never ending...

Bink,

The list is always growing. I helped a friend who had heated storage re-bed his stantions earlier this winter, it's more time consuming than it is difficult. If I ever have a weekend where I am in a holding pattern waiting on parts or something I would tackle that and the covers on the chain plates into the deck. I have sat out a few driving rains in my boat, and the only ingress of water I noticed is the rudder coupling through the cockpit and one of the seals on the port light, which is a reason they are getting priority.

Do you have any pictures of the process/product from your new port light design, I am intrigued. I think I can picture it in my mind but I like to avoid re-creating the wheel when ever I can.

The existing hatch openings on my boat are about 22x16 and the hatches (i believe they are original) are 24x18. The smallest hatches I think I can fit would be S60, for $900-$1200+. I think I can build new ones with teak/acrylic for a lot cheaper, or rebuild/reinforce the originals, inefficient as they may be. I like projects I can take home, my boat is almost 2 hours away so I only get there on the weekends.

When I get into the electrical I will make some post detailing the process, I am sure with questions, and hopefully results. That's a few weeks away though.

Thursty30

Member II
Good heavens, Thursty! Just reading your list and imagining how big each one is wore me out. Then I read your age. OK, ...I get it. You are inspiration. Best wishes.

Ha! I spend a lot of time *thinking* during the week... Usually find out that my minds eye is much larger than my stomach when I climb aboard Saturday morning. :0305_coff

bgary

Advanced Beginner
Blogs Author
*IF* it stops raining long enough, I'm going to re-bed my hatches and re-do my mast boot. We've had a record-breaking year for rain, and I've been surprised at how much water made it into the boat...

Thursty30

Member II
*IF* it stops raining long enough, I'm going to re-bed my hatches and re-do my mast boot. We've had a record-breaking year for rain, and I've been surprised at how much water made it into the boat...

It seems only to rain on the weekends here, now that we're done battling snow/ice. Which is convenient. :rolleyes_d:

Afterthought: What mast boot are you going to use? Because I clearly don't have enough to do, I am always on the look out for new and exciting projects?

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|2358532|2358538&id=3742665 Something like this?

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Giving your boat the Boot

It seems only to rain on the weekends here, now that we're done battling snow/ice. Which is convenient. :rolleyes_d:

Afterthought: What mast boot are you going to use? Because I clearly don't have enough to do, I am always on the look out for new and exciting projects?

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|118|2358532|2358538&id=3742665 Something like this?

Those replacement mast base covers are a decent replacement for the molded one from Kenyon, but UV will eventually eat those like it did the original one.
I would suggest covering it with a Sunbrella cover. Under that spiffy cover on our boat is the original vinyl one with some tape and patches on it.
This way we keep all the water out.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/entry.php?181-Mast-Gaiter-and-SS-hold-down-Tang