• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-33 Rudder

Camelot

Hey has anyone modified or extended the hull/skeg extension in front of the E-33 rudder ? The big gap in mine is filled with large rubber fairing strips. This will reduce drag I'm sure but still fairs into an enormous "bucket" type fairing on the top of the rudder. I'm sure there was a measurement point involved there back in IOR days, but we are now in a new millennium without IOR ? Bob E-33#23

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Bob,

On Mine, which rolled out the assembly line immediately after yours, it is filled with......nothing. There is just a gap there although it is obvious that the factory intended to fill it with something. I guess that is the way Ron Holland designed it. If you have rubber faring strips, that makes sense to me. Mine must have been removed somewhere along the way.

Ian S

Member III
The best material I have found to date for rudder fairings is the thin HDPE cutting board material. You know the ones you can roll up. they keep there shape, easy to find. easy to cut to shape and quite thin, it will also hold an angle / taper if induced, without fatiguing.. This is what I have also used for centerboard trunk gaskets on racing skiffs.

Camelot

E-33 Rudders & Fairings

Thanks Guys,
I'll take a look @ the HDPE. The rubber on mine looks to do the job, but the ends seem to stick out an inch or so @ rest, I suspect they would too in light conditions when drag would be even more critical. I don't get the wide round fairing @ the top of the rudder either probably another old IOR measurement point, but to me it just looks like dragging around a shallow bucket aft now. I just love the lines of the boat & respect the build as I had an E-39 for 20 years, I guess deep down I remain a "tinkerer" probably my one design routs. Thank you for the input & good Sailing, Bob E-33/23 Impulse)